Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

I like this picture
DETAIL1_d7c40a64-7b40-4095-af4e-b2f08e757b4b_large.png

...makes me wonder if shifting our obsession toward denim actually improved our lives or just made it even more complicated. Seems to me we've just added one digit to the oz count, while basically repeating the same sentences as when we were talking about leather. Life is good again.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one of those that ciano made for me a couple years ago in 19oz denim with a horse blanket liner. Here are a couple photos of it when it was brand new:
914BA49F-68D1-43AD-98D0-BA667CDB4FC0.jpeg
A9F6FE49-6EA8-4B2E-A5B1-B8610B2BE16A.jpeg

It’s an absolutely wonderful jacket, and I have worn it a lot over the last two weeks and we had a bit of a cold snap here in Northern California. I like it so much as a matter of fact that I recently ordered another denim jacket, this time a Lee Storm Rider clone.

El Marro

These look kind of weird on the web site. I don't know if they're taking promo photos of an XXXXXL jackets or it's just so oddly proportioned but I'd like to see more of these jackets.
Monitor,
The cut on this one is actually pretty nice in my experience. Ciano offers either a regular or a slim version. I want with the regular and had him add an inch of width to the shoulders since they were a little too narrow for me on the stock model. I also had them add an inch to the back length and it is still are you properly short trucker jacket cut in my opinion. Definitely not as fitted as my Iron Heart jacket but in my opinion it’s easier to wear

Monitor,
The cut on this one is actually pretty nice in my experience. Ciano offers either a regular or a slim version. I want with the regular and had him add an inch of width to the shoulders since they were a little too narrow for me on the stock model. I also had them add an inch to the back length and it is still are you properly short trucker jacket cut in my opinion. Definitely not as fitted as my Iron Heart jacket but in my opinion it’s easier to wear

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! I'd definitely be interested in that 30oz Bull denim, that'd be something but yeah, getting these custom made over the internet definitely is scary. I'm not even sure whether a regular or a slim is right for me. . .

El Marro

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! I'd definitely be interested in that 30oz Bull denim, that'd be something but yeah, getting these custom made over the internet definitely is scary. I'm not even sure whether a regular or a slim is right for me. . .
I hear you man and I completely understand. He does have sizes posted for his various styles of jackets but the biggest issue I have found with Ciano is that it takes months longer than promised to receive the items you’ve ordered. Fire been very happy with what he’s made for me so I continue to order from him, but I was very very nervous when my first jacket took about six months to arrive.

ProteinNerd

...makes me wonder if shifting our obsession toward denim actually improved our lives or just made it even more complicated. Seems to me we've just added one digit to the oz count, while basically repeating the same sentences as when we were talking about leather. Life is good again.

Ha ha I was just thinking this yesterday.

Denim is just the new "in thing" here at TFL, we've had a few I can remember. When I first joined it was super heavy thick leather, everyone ordered thickest available, then came the vegetable tanned leather, then there was definitely a blue leather craze followed soon after by natural leather and now Denim...whats next?

I was sucked in by all them except the natural, although I did get a belt and boots so maybe they count?...did I miss any other fads?

barnabus

One Too Many
Man, I've been banging on about denim for ages. Probably my first WJAYWT was a denim trucker. I love that we've gone all denim headed. At least for the next five minutes until another new/old thing comes along.

barnabus

One Too Many
Ha ha I was just thinking this yesterday.

Denim is just the new "in thing" here at TFL, we've had a few I can remember. When I first joined it was super heavy thick leather, everyone ordered thickest available, then came the vegetable tanned leather, then there was definitely a blue leather craze followed soon after by natural leather and now Denim...whats next?

I was sucked in by all them except the natural, although I did get a belt and boots so maybe they count?...did I miss any other fads?
I've got the blue leather.

I've got the heavy denim.

Can I decide the next one and start my own thing?

Blackadder

A quick question for the denim experts.

I’ve got a Levi type 3 I bought ages ago off eBay so not sure of the year but don’t think it’s in any way vintage probably early 2000s.

The sleeves are HUGE and very baggy. Is this a thing? From a few comments in the thread I gather something like an IH has slimmer sleeves and my Momotaro type 2 certainly has slimmer sleeves. Is this just a Levi’s thing?
Not an expert but I've seen a few Levi jackets from different time periods and... Some models have gigantic, really wide and baggy sleeves, yeah. Not all, though. Most recent Type-3's are really trim fitting. They really come in all shapes.
I agree with Monitor. I had a Levi "Trucker/Type 3" jacket in the late-1960s and 1970s and, as best I can remember, their jackets in those days were more along the lines of what we now refer to as a "slim fit". These days Levi has so many versions of their "Trucker" jacket that you could spend hours trying to figure out which one is right for you. :rolleyes:

Looking at photos of the Iron Horse and Momotaro jackets online, it seems their jackets are made for, and marketed to, a narrower clientele than Levi's, and they do appear to be more of a "slim fit". Levi's jackets are made for a more general/broader market and, let's face it, most American truck drivers are anything but "slim fit" body types.

I currently have a 1990s-era (best guess) "Trucker/Type 3" stonewashed/unlined Levi jacket that I found during some recent house cleaning; I don't even remember buying it. I wouldn't describe the sleeves as "huge", but it's definitely "roomy" and I appreciate that quality because on colder days/nights I can wear a variety of layers under it and be warm and comfortable without feeling like it's restricting the way I move. I assume a lot of people in various occupations feel the same way (which would partially explain the jacket's popularity over the years), so this relatively simple jacket can become quite versatile.

Blackadder

I agree with Monitor. I had a Levi "Trucker/Type 3" jacket in the late-1960s and 1970s and, as best I can remember, their jackets in those days were more along the lines of what we now refer to as a "slim fit". These days Levi has so many versions of their "Trucker" jacket that you could spend hours trying to figure out which one is right for you. :rolleyes:

Looking at photos of the Iron Horse and Momotaro jackets online, it seems their jackets are made for, and marketed to, a narrower clientele than Levi's, and they do appear to be more of a "slim fit". Levi's jackets are made for a more general/broader market and, let's face it, most American truck drivers are anything but "slim fit" body types.

I currently have a 1990s-era (best guess) "Trucker/Type 3" stonewashed/unlined Levi jacket that I found during some recent house cleaning; I don't even remember buying it. I wouldn't describe the sleeves as "huge", but it's definitely "roomy" and I appreciate that quality because on colder days/nights I can wear a variety of layers under it and be warm and comfortable without feeling like it's restricting the way I move. I assume a lot of people in various occupations feel the same way (which would partially explain the jacket's popularity over the years), so this relatively simple jacket can become quite versatile.
The current Levi's trucker model with the handwarmer pockets is a more relaxed straight jacket but the original trucker is more triangular and is actually pretty slim compared to the type 1 and 2 (especially around the waist). Take a look at the LVC 1967 type 3 and some of the second hand 70505-0217 without the handwarmer pockets. The Japanese did alter the style so it is not as triangular as the original but a slim straight cut.
The sleeves of the original however are wide and long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran