Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

Edward

Bartender
I know we all behave like spoilt teenagers but even so I don't think anyone in their early 20's can be considered a child. :D

Legally speaking we become adults at eighteen, though more and more psychological research is showing that most of our critical faculties are not fully developed unti at least our mid twenties now.

I also had the experience of gonig to university while still living at home, so many of my formative 'realworld' experiences didn't come until I was pushing twenty-five.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i modify the sleeve of my denim jacket,
I pinched triangle from the top of the shoulder down to the yoke, and hand sewn them from inside.
2L4ItVt.jpg

The result is the sleeve neutral position is more downward, no more bunching on the underarm, now it becomes a somewhat underarm gusset
7LXyfn8.jpg

Now it is much cleaner no bunching around the armpit area.
aSEcAUW.jpg

And still has freedom of movement from the underarm gusset effect
Mba7sea.jpg

And on the shoulder it creases like a proper jacket would when i lift my arm.
IoqxGcq.jpg

I think it would make more interesting crease pattern on the upper arm.

This is before
mETgjpH.jpg

See how much bunching under the arm.

Two denim entries. Mister Freedoom peacoat. 16oz sugar cane denim with 12oz heavy cotton liner. Makes for a beastly coat. I was surprised by this one. And aside from the IH 526pj it’s my favorite yet.
27DCDF12-952C-4BEE-BD03-5883363392FC.jpeg

345C2145-80BD-422C-9EE5-99BC6EBBEFD6.jpeg

09620432-6A6E-485A-8619-295A99920415.jpeg

Soso 27oz monster 6lb freak show type III. Too small so I’ll chuck it back to eBay but man this material has to be seen to be believed. Quality is fine. Not on par with IH or other premier denim outfits but it’s certainly not bad. This is the denim equivalent of LW 4.5oz HH.
1A5A4045-72D6-4543-9B7C-AD0850F36712.jpeg

88AC2792-DD95-48D8-B0E5-5F4D015389AD.jpeg

9A944529-DCC0-4431-8B1D-786D21ED6229.jpeg

Two denim entries. Mister Freedoom peacoat. 16oz sugar cane denim with 12oz heavy cotton liner. Makes for a beastly coat. I was surprised by this one. And aside from the IH 526pj it’s my favorite yet.
View attachment 164241
View attachment 164242
View attachment 164243
Soso 27oz monster 6lb freak show type III. Too small so I’ll chuck it back to eBay but man this material has to be seen to be believed. Quality is fine. Not on par with IH or other premier denim outfits but it’s certainly not bad. This is the denim equivalent of LW 4.5oz HH.
View attachment 164244
View attachment 164245
View attachment 164247

As much as I want to be more impressed with the Type III, which certainly is impressive, it just isn't happening next ot that Mister Freedom coat which is something else altogether. Can't explain it exactly but the leap in quality is so plainly obvious with denim... There's just no question about it.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 164241
View attachment 164242
View attachment 164243
View attachment 164244
View attachment 164245
View attachment 164247
That peacoat is very cool!

Sonero

Practically Family
I asked about the Prison Blues jackets a while back. Someone replied and said they are ROOMY. I wouldn’t expect one to be form-fitting.

Thanks, I actually emailed them for measurements and although the medium had the right sleeve and back length the chest was that of an XL. There is mention of shrinkage but I doubt it could be that much. Great Denim though.

Psant25

One Too Many
Thanks, I actually emailed them for measurements and although the medium had the right sleeve and back length the chest was that of an XL. There is mention of shrinkage but I doubt it could be that much. Great Denim though.
Do not do it! I got one and promptly returned. Had like 24 p2p on a medium and had like 23 sleeves and back. I thought it was a joke when I first tried it on it was so bad. I love my medium wrangler western jacket. Only like 40 bucks.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Not quite sure where to post this...
View attachment 164544

Call me a wimp but I find even 19 oz to be uncomfortable to the point of being unwearable. That’s the heaviest I’ve tried, and it did not make me want to go heavier. 10-15 oz is where it’s at, nice and comfortable. Work wear that you can actually move in, how about that? Can’t even imagine 40 or 50 oz, you’d need to be Conan to even bend your knees in those beasts.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
On another note, I found this old Lee jacket in my closet that I’d forgotten that I had. I put it on, and it was a super nice fit. Just about covers my belt, nice and snug on the hips and roomier in chest, shoulders and arms.

Maybe the denim experts here can help with dating the jacket? It came from my girlfriends uncle who sadly passed away a couple of years ago. We found it while cleaning out his house, and while it was too small for me at the time, I decided to keep it. Subsequently I had kids which shaved about 40 % of my bench press (not enough time to train) and it is now a great fit. My guess is he got it in the 60’s or 70’s, but maybe someone has a better guess?

60a30177e18f83a404488283d77577e6.jpg
9cb8d02c0597f96a135c9990419d3819.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Call me a wimp but I find even 19 oz to be uncomfortable to the point of being unwearable. That’s the heaviest I’ve tried, and it did not make me want to go heavier. 10-15 oz is where it’s at, nice and comfortable. Work wear that you can actually move in, how about that? Can’t even imagine 40 or 50 oz, you’d need to be Conan to even bend your knees in those beasts.

Except for the minor "fleshwounds" which are almost completely healed just leaving pinkish soft skin patches around my both ankles, knees, inside of calves and shins, i have only positive things to say about rough heavyweights. Honestly to me they are not hindering my movement at all and i downsize 2 on 1 (a bit ball crushing when i squat to feed the cat the first few weeks) and so downsize 1 on another ,I blamed my own thin skin for those newb skin bruises, but going forward it would worth breaking into them. My denim jacket is 14oz and honestly that feels borderline inadequate , i imagined accidental rip on the knee and crotch when wearing that fabric weight as pants in the fit I like (down sized slim straight) without any elastene like skinny jeans. However for roomier more clasisical fit i can imagine lighter weight might look better and drape more naturally.

Last edited:

Psant25

One Too Many
Except for the minor "fleshwounds" which are almost completely healed just leaving pinkish soft skin patches around my both ankles, knees, inside of calves and shins, i have only positive things to say about rough heavyweights. Honestly to me they are not hindering my movement at all and i downsize 2 on 1 (a bit ball crushing when i squat to feed the cat the first few weeks) and so downsize 1 on another ,I blamed my own thin skin for those newb skin bruises, but going forward it would worth breaking into them. My denim jacket is 14oz and honestly that feels borderline inadequate , i imagined accidental rip on the knee and crotch when wearing that fabric weight as pants in the fit I like (down sized slim straight) without any elastene like skinny jeans. However for roomier more clasisical fit i can imagine lighter weight might look better and drape more naturally.
Lol you crack me up all the time

torfjord

Call Me a Cab

Apart from them causing fleshwounds all over my lower body and crushing my balls, they are really great. 5/5, would wear again! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24