Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

Powerband

Practically Family
Lee Japan 101J 1946 Rider. 13.75 oz sanforized raw denim. Stiff but light, so it will break in well. (I got this one from Aero.) I dig the shorter length that falls at the waist, which (I believe) is traditional to the Lee Rider style since 1946.

7939361d5cf6ef35d4445fe353f1bb88.jpg

I will soon have fit-pics of the above three denim jackets eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerband

Practically Family
Ton312, that black one is good. It looks like a warm hug. I want one for the early California mornings. Where can I get one?

Ton312, that black one is good. It looks like a warm hug.

That's the best description of a sherpa trucker I've ever heard! Exactly why I love 'em. @ton312, haven't I been saying all year that's the most addictive jacket out there. I've been through like ten of these just last winter. Had to get rid of all because otherwise the sherpa IH would've remained unworn. And now I have two made out of actual sheepskin as well. . .

Ton312, that black one is good. It looks like a warm hug. I want one for the early California mornings. Where can I get one?

Man they are everywhere! I bought the blue one at Target while grocery shopping and the black one at Macy’s on the way home from work b/c they are on sale through Labor Day. I also ordered a gray one off eBay but had to return it for sizing issues. It’s like wearing a denim coated marshmallow. I’m not even kidding, I’m buying three more. It’s so stupid but every jacket has a little tweak that hooks me. And they are cheap so it’s guilt free! Like taking 8lbs of bacon from a breakfast buffet!

Powerband

Practically Family
Nice. For the price, it does feel like you’re getting a mound of bacon. Always good. I’ll check Macy’s locally. Thx

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
“Like taking 8lbs of bacon from a breakfast buffet!”
Great quote!!
Lmao
B
Man they are everywhere! I bought the blue one at Target while grocery shopping and the black one at Macy’s on the way home from work b/c they are on sale through Labor Day. I also ordered a gray one off eBay but had to return it for sizing issues. It’s like wearing a denim coated marshmallow. I’m not even kidding, I’m buying three more. It’s so stupid but every jacket has a little tweak that hooks me. And they are cheap so it’s guilt free! Like taking 8lbs of bacon from a breakfast buffet!

My psychotic neurosis took hold and I exchanged the XL which I purposely bought for more room to a L. And I damn near bought another indigo one when I was there. Purely b/c it had a better collar. I need to stop.

Please let us know how the jacket changes once it is dry from this first soak. I am quite curious since I own the same jacket myself and I have yet to wash or soak it.

I don't think it changes at all... At least my IH Lee and Type 3 didn't.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think it changes at all... At least my IH Lee and Type 3 didn't.
That’s what I was hoping. My 101J fits well but it is definitely the trimmest jacket I own in any style, I’m sure I will wash it someday but I definitely want to make sure it doesn’t get any smaller.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
IH 101J. Drying from its first soak.

06dee24c483b148b25aabfa00caf5425.jpg

a drying denim jacket is perfect opportunity to mould wear it, don't waste this rare occasion by leaving it standing on a table by itself like that and not being worn over old or dark tshirt until fully dry on you:eek:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
That’s what I was hoping. My 101J fits well but it is definitely the trimmest jacket I own in any style, I’m sure I will wash it someday but I definitely want to make sure it doesn’t get any smaller.
like jeans they will expand back across the chest or waist while being worn and only looking better , the length of the body and sleeve and shoulder width, are areas that will permanently affected when there is some shrinkage from washing in denim jacket, I dont have IH, but both my type3 shrank during soaking most visible is the sleeve length and shoulder width, chest girth is hardly affected.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
like jeans they will expand back across the chest or waist while being worn and only looking better , the length of the body and sleeve and shoulder width, are areas that will permanently affected when there is some shrinkage from washing in denim jacket, I dont have IH, but both my type3 shrank during soaking most visible is the sleeve length and shoulder width, chest girth is hardly affected.
navetsea,
That makes sense. I would be fine with a little less length all around but I don’t think I could take any shoulder shrinkage. I like the idea you posted of wearing the jacket while it dries and perhaps doing some stretches at the same time.

IH guys say that denim jackets shrink mostly in length, not width. Something to do with the... Actually, I don't have a clue how it works but apparently, the widths should remain the same even if some shrinkage occurs. I've never had this happen to any of my denim jackets. Even tried soaking the IH Type 3 into the bathtub filled with steaming water and nothing happened.

I guess ultimately we cannot predict what's going to happen as all these different materials will be affected differently. Levi's denim won't shrink at all, that's something I'm sure of, though.

But I don't think you can mess it up too badly, whatever the outcome. Denim will stretch and it will become softer with wear so if you wear it for a while, even if it shrunk initially, it should go back to how it started. And what @navetsea says, ain't nothing gonna shape your jacket better than wearing it while it dries.

Mich486

One Too Many
Don’t you get elbow bags by doing that? I mean unless you can keep your arms straight for several hours. This is why I think wearing dump jeans until they dry is rubbish unless you never sit/squat etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112