Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

Don’t you get elbow bags by doing that? I mean unless you can keep your arms straight for several hours. This is why I think wearing dump jeans until they dry is rubbish unless you never sit/squat etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not with the super heavy denim, no. I don't think this happens on trucker jackets anyhow... At least I've never seen it on a jacket?

Happens to me on every pair of jeans I own, though.

Mich486

One Too Many
I did wear a pair of 501 STF until dry once to not do it ever again :) I guess with jackets is less of an issue although I’m not sure I’ll ever try it.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
IH guys say that denim jackets shrink mostly in length, not width. Something to do with the... Actually, I don't have a clue how it works but apparently, the widths should remain the same even if some shrinkage occurs. I've never had this happen to any of my denim jackets. Even tried soaking the IH Type 3 into the bathtub filled with steaming water and nothing happened.

I guess ultimately we cannot predict what's going to happen as all these different materials will be affected differently. Levi's denim won't shrink at all, that's something I'm sure of, though.

But I don't think you can mess it up too badly, whatever the outcome. Denim will stretch and it will become softer with wear so if you wear it for a while, even if it shrunk initially, it should go back to how it started. And what @navetsea says, ain't nothing gonna shape your jacket better than wearing it while it dries.
I think they turn the fabric 90 degree for front and back yoke, thats why I think it shrank a bit on the shoulder width if the fabrics is the kind to shrink, while the chest is hardly affected, just my speculation, and perhaps compared to knee and elbow our shoulder is too round to stretch back the shoulder seam, the seams then just rest on top of the shoulder and the sleeve right after it become rounder to make room for shoulder and affecting sleeve length more.. but somehow I learn to live with slightly too short sleeve on my denim jacket:D as long as the body fits trim, much easier to accept than leather jacket sleeve being too short:confused:

edit: I look again the fabric is not rotated for the yoke on denim jacket unlike the yoke of jeans , so I dunno :confused:

Don’t you get elbow bags by doing that? I mean unless you can keep your arms straight for several hours. This is why I think wearing dump jeans until they dry is rubbish unless you never sit/squat etc

I think it gives elbow flare like riding jacket with curved sleeve while denim jacket sleeve are mostly cut straight but not to the point of sagging bag.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i always wear my jackets and jeans to dry with every wash, leather jackets are the absolute worst they are also take hours to really dry unless you take it for a ride or for a walk , denim jacket not so much they dry quite fast, the inside pockets / pocket bags of the handwarmers are the only annoying part they feel wet and pressing against your waist and the last to dry, jeans depending on the heaviness, heavy jeans keep its tubular shape so even when wet they are not clingy and dunno they are quick drying and not so bothering physically, wet thinner jeans feels worse since they stick to your legs and really feel wet.

Last edited:
Jeans-shorts make you much taller! :D

I went to supermarket and crossed our vital place with railstation platform and the bus stops. Of course, on warm summer evenings are more teens around and joking passersby won't be long in coming.

"Such a towser! And straddled-legged, too!"

But I never do them the favor to react. I'm cool as f..k. :cool:;)

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Jeans-shorts make you much taller! :D

I went to supermarket and crossed our vital place with railstation platform and the bus stops. Of course, on warm summer evenings are more teens around and joking passersby won't be long in coming.

"Such a towser! And straddled-legged, too!"

But I never do them the favor to react. I'm cool as f..k. :cool:;)
Yeah, wait till someone driving by yells out “Hey bird legs”!!
That will stick with you for decades! Lol
Until then....enjoy.
B

Mich486

One Too Many
Wearing jeans-shorts in high-summer comes with its own risks.

You never mentioned whether they are blue-stone though and I feel pretty disoriented by this lack of such key information.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I'm definitely a rookie when it comes to denim jackets so I wanted to see what the lounge thinks of this Levis I'm contemplating buying. I don't usually see copper buttons on trucker jackets so Im thinking this might be too flashy/tacky? Made of selvedge denim USA. Worth $100?? New with tags

s-l1600.jpg
112.jpg
111.jpg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm definitely a rookie when it comes to denim jackets so I wanted to see what the lounge thinks of this Levis I'm contemplating buying. I don't usually see copper buttons on trucker jackets so Im thinking this might be too flashy/tacky? Made of selvedge denim USA. Worth $100?? New with tags

View attachment 183127 View attachment 183128 View attachment 183129
I think the copper buttons are just fine. What I don’t really like is the heavy wear on both the left pocket flap and the left side of the collar. I think they overdid the artificial aging thing a little bit in those two locations

View attachment 183127 View attachment 183128 View attachment 183129
Offer $75. You can find it for that if you try. I love Levi’s stuff. It’s not on the same level as my IH stuff but it’s damn good none the less. I love the Sherpa versions. Cheap, warm and bad ass.
A207544D-8EF4-47F5-91AA-832AB8E79CF2.jpeg

I know to most folks they probably look like junk but I just love them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24