Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

marker2037

Practically Family
Thanks to these pics I bought this:
s-l1600.jpg
Ha, that was on my watch list because it was so nice looking. One size too small for me. You're welcome :).

marker2037

Practically Family
Yeah I'm worried it'll be too small for me too. What's your height/weight? I'm 5'11 210lbs...but these numbers seemed close to my IH size XL's
I'm 5'10", 198. Hope it works out for you. After getting the 42L on yesterday I don't think I could fit in the 40L size, but of course measurements are more accurate than sizes alone.

I'm 5'10", 198. Hope it works out for you. After getting the 42L on yesterday I don't think I could fit in the 40L size.
EEEK...might be for sale then. Damn! Maybe for skintight over a t-shirt worn open only it'll work. LOL. For some reason I always though these ran large.

marker2037

Practically Family
EEEK...might be for sale then. Damn! Maybe for skintight over a t-shirt worn open only it'll work. LOL. For some reason I always though these ran large.
The arms are a little large (except for the actual cuff which is virtually too tight to even button with anything on my wrists), but the body is definitely fitted.

Said and done!

Here we are, my loungers. As you can see, the build quality is indeed really solid! Like I guessed from the online pics. The Denim is not the thin crappy stuff! The sleeves got quilted padding. The check-lining is cotton, but not real flannel, just a lightly brushed basic plain-weave fabric.
The shell is 100% cotton, NO elasthane!!

And it's really Lee's regular-fit, not Levi's slim-fit. And true-to-size! :) I think, we will have much fun together. Seems, I grabbed an outstanding storebrand-offer.

Attachments

• IMGP7599.JPG
    IMGP7599.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 641
  • IMGP7601.JPG
    IMGP7601.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 636
  • IMGP7602.JPG
    IMGP7602.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 663
  • IMGP7603.JPG
    IMGP7603.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 625
  • IMGP7604.JPG
    IMGP7604.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 634
  • IMGP7606.JPG
    IMGP7606.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 623
  • IMGP7610.JPG
    IMGP7610.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 636
  • IMGP7611.JPG
    IMGP7611.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 634

Edward

Bartender
Re. Type 3 length, Iron Heart started out right. Looking at the measurements, earlier IH's were all shorter. The 21oz Type 3 w/o side pockets size 42 was like 24" back. Same with Lee style. The first run of the modified Type 3 was also under 25" length but when they restocked it, I noticed that all the jackes became longer. It's the demand I guess but I still say that the Type 3 gets ruined if made too long.

BY any chance are IH being influenced by current fashion norms? I see a lot of fasghionable young peopel in London these dyas, girls especially, wearing a version of the Type 3 which has been elongated to hit mid-thigh with the hem - not unlike those elongated MA1 types that were in fasihon a few years ago. They look daft and all out of proportion to me, but I'm no fashionista. I don't want to keep up with the fashion times.

Wore my bright blue Levi's type III sherpa the last days, too. Up to -5°C in old Germany.

Ridiculous. The 90s had -15°C in deep wintertime.

Tha'ts climate change / global warming for you. Winter is much milder here in London than in the past too.

Vintage Lee Storm Rider just came in. I like the fit a lot. They sure did make these shorter back in the day though, which is a welcome discovery since I find most jackets sold these days are overly long. This is tagged a 42L and it comes to just about where I like a slim fit jacket like this to sit: just below my belt line.

WSuI1u3.jpg

jfzEYsc.jpg

Very nice. I've been looking at one of the Wrangler reissues, but they've elongated the pattern from the original in those, so I'll probably just waist until the Bronson boys repop it properly. They do a nice take on this Lee design too.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i'm sweating in rainy season here in equatorial tropics usually it is the cool half of the year, all leather jackets got limited action this year, thanks god on the 8th day after taking his rest god created denim jacket.

here too on instagram I see alot of type3 with body being as long or a bit longer than the sleeve, probably the person who designed it think it is a denim car coat, when bought sized down to get the body right then you get 3/4 sleeveo_O

somehow type2 is spared from this unfortunate evolution

Last edited:
i'm sweating in rainy season here in equatorial tropics usually it is the cool half of the year, all leather jackets got limited action this year, thanks god on the 8th day after taking his rest god created denim jacket.

here too on instagram I see alot of type3 with body being as long or a bit longer than the sleeve, probably the person who designed it think it is a denim car coat, when bought sized down to get the body right then you get 3/4 sleeveo_O

somehow type2 is spared from this unfortunate evolution

Yeah, type I and II are just to unknown by the masses, praise the Lord! :)

I wore my new storebrand Storm Rider the first time, today and sweated myself to death. Only +5°C in old Germany, but I went to supermarket with my shopping trolley and had like always a classic undershirt + turtleneck shirt (cotton Jersey) + the lining of the jacket + the outer shell.
Four layers of cotton... :D

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
since I'm still a new convert, I still dig the look of a medium or heavy dark raw denim type3 in normal proportional body length, as jacket or worn as layer.

but if I want them in other lighter fabrics like cord or lighter canvas, I would probably prefer type 1 or 2, they drape better and look a little bit more educated than truckers :D lol

Edward

Bartender
since I'm still a new convert, I still dig the look of a medium or heavy dark raw denim type3 in normal proportional body length, as jacket or worn as layer.

but if I want them in other lighter fabrics like cord or lighter canvas, I would probably prefer type 1 or 2, they drape better and look a little bit more educated than truckers :D lol

I actually had a couple of Type 3s in cotton-linen from Uniqlo a few years ago; they made fantastic jackets for when it was just too ridiculously hot for one otherwise. If somebody did that in a type 2, it would be superb.

My new storebrand Storm Rider is just outstanding. It's so warming, that you can use it indeed as a winterjacket!

When moving normal, it's the perfect daily jacket for fresh transitional weather. But, when moving faster, the lining insulates the warmth so much, that it's still sufficient for below 5°C!

For me, Storm Rider seems the better way than type III sherpa.

My new storebrand Storm Rider is just outstanding. It's so warming, that you can use it indeed as a winterjacket!

When moving normal, it's the perfect daily jacket for fresh transitional weather. But, when moving faster, the lining insulates the warmth so much, that it's still sufficient for below 5°C!

For me, Storm Rider seems the better way than type III sherpa.
Wish I could agree. The two I bought were horrible fits. Despite both being marked a long they were insanely short. 23.5” and 24” back! Convinced me never to stray from the Sherpa lined Levi’s for a cold weather denim jacket.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wish I could agree. The two I bought were horrible fits. Despite both being marked a long they were insanely short. 23.5” and 24” back! Convinced me never to stray from the Sherpa lined Levi’s for a cold weather denim jacket.
Ton,
You might want to check out a repro Storm Rider in that case. I really like my Lee Japan Storm Rider. Real wool blanket lining and the length it’s about 26 inches on my 44. They are all sold out at the moment from the shop where I bought mine but here is the link to the store:

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/three-eight/item/lee-1119-289/

I know they have restocked them in the past, hopefully they do again. I think it is a great jacket for the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points