Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by AndrewC, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Today, better pics!

Isn't it a cutie pie? :D

Attached Files:

AbbaDatDeHat and steve u like this.
  2. Trenchfriend

I tell you, since I got my storebrand Storm Rider jacket, my Levi's type III sherpa is jobless! :D

I love the lined Storm Rider!!

El Marro and steve u like this.
  3. Trenchfriend

With the daylight, it's much better to look at. :cool:

Attached Files:

navetsea likes this.
  4. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

[​IMG]
    Type 2 over shirt, summer comes today probably , the sun looks extremely angry

Mawashi, Monitor, ton312 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mawashi

Mawashi Familiar Face

I chanced upon a vintage jacket and demin shop today and took a gamble on this SGD $40 OR USD $28.5 denim jacket.

The label was missing and so was any identifying tags.

The only clue I had was the button.
    IMG_20200305_194916.jpg

A Google search and I found out its from a Co called Samurai... I think.

Unfortunately it looks like nothing like their current designs and it's rather heavy at 828g.

IMG_20200305_212838.jpg IMG_20200305_213054.jpg

Either I have high quality rip off or its a vintage jacket that's out of production.
    Does anyone here know what I got?

Cheers

6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Seems unlikely it would be a counterfeit - surely counterfeiters would be morel ikely to knock off much more mainstream brands?

Mawashi likes this.
  7. Trenchfriend

Grabbed a wonderful 20 bucks-storebrand jeansshirt! Pics in the next minutes.

8. Trenchfriend

Here we are:

Flap pockets, life's good... ;)

Attached Files:

steve u, navetsea and BobHufford like this.
  9. Mawashi

Mawashi Familiar Face

Thanks Edward,

Fact is I'm not totally sure what I got and if it's a genuine Samurai I'll be super interested in which year this was made as I can't find any info of when such buttons were used as these are usually found on jeans and not the jackets.

Another dilemma I'm having is, I want to have the sleeves altered but I don't wish to ruin anything with such a heritage.. Sigh.

10. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'd maybe wait until you find out if it's super-rare or not.... otherwise, if you're gonig to keep it and wear it, better altered to fit so you can swear it than lying unused in the wardrobe...

11. Mawashi

Mawashi Familiar Face

Hey Edward,

I hear you and having a nice jacket to use is much better than having it the storeroom being mothballed.

Other than the buttons there isn't any tags or labels so I doubt it has much provenance. If it is a samurai it's going to be a samurai that fits me lol.

Here's some info on some of the Japanese denims.
    https://manofmany.com/fashion/mens-fashion-trends/15-best-japanese-denim-brands?amp

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  12. navetsea

those hand warmer slash appears upside down. is it possible the jacket being a factory defect so get unlabeled

Mawashi likes this.
  13. Mawashi

Mawashi Familiar Face

Thanks navetsea,

That explains a lot and it surely make it easier for me to alter it :)
    !
    Either way I'm going to enjoy this jacket and wear it to death lol!

Cheers

navetsea and Edward like this.
  14. Edward

Edward Bartender

Some interesting stuff there - some of it not badly priced, either. More encouragement to do that Tokyo trip one day!

Mawashi likes this.
  15. navetsea

I don't know, I just pointing out a possibility, looks like a creative take on type3 with outside patch chest pocket, with western flap, and some double stitching on the collar, can also be a one off prototype

Mawashi likes this.
  16. Trenchfriend

Are Jeansshirts always that comfortable or are there rough ones, too?

Mawashi likes this.
  17. Mawashi

Mawashi Familiar Face

It's likely the former as I don't see any evidence of labels sewed on in the first place. But I'm happy cos regardless of what it is, I can happily alter it and wear it without babying it. The materials are awesome and it'll super heavyweight!

The Japanese stuff will always be very expensive and will hold their value but if like me you're looking for great gear at reasonable prices some of the brands here might be worth a look.

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/12/06/indonesian-denim-brands/

I have had denim shirts made from hard wearing jeans material but I forgot the brands.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    navetsea likes this.
  18. navetsea

I live in Indonesia, all my 3 raw jeans are all local brands, I tried some different brands to compare since last year, while to western budget they are all equally a bargain alternatives, some brands which already more international market oriented are priced considerably higher than smaller brands who still concentrate on domestic market. quality difference in workmanship is non existent my sub $100 jeans is better built than my $200 jeans, but the latter has fabrics from japan, while the cheaper ones usually comes from thai, or milled locally. I'm happy with them all, be careful with inseam when ordering, indonesian people typically wear 30" so raw jeans might range from 33-37" inseam. same with jacket sleeve are quite short in proportion to body size, bigger size seems more for fatter people than for bigger people, and lately more and more jackets getting longer on the body too, some type 3 has body length of a coat.

Psant25 and Mawashi like this.
  19. navetsea

what very affordable too is veg tan belt 4mm thick belt, solid brass buckle, the last one I bought was $20 from lesser known brand, I also have another belt from major local brand was priced $60, the latter has mexican hide, but not 3x better or cooler than my $20 thick vegtan belt both has the edges fully burnished too, teardrop holes and all.

Mawashi likes this.
  20. navetsea

however from what I see, all local items are quite limited in stock, brands usually released many models at once or oftenly in short succession, but each comes with very limited stock, I waited for a week then my size is already gone. :(

Monitor likes this.