Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

SimonR

One of the Regulars
Not yet had one of their jackets. Have had a couple of pairs of the jeans, though, and very pleased with those. Just picked up a new pair of the work-jeans, actually - the UK-based, EU distributor is having a closing-down sale. Means I'll have to order from the US next time, though fingers crossed that might work out just a little cheaper, which is some compensation.
I've just ordered a couple of pairs direct as couldn't find a UK distributor ..... pleased you have them as the fit will be higher rise :) as I know you like that !!

Edward

Bartender
I've just ordered a couple of pairs direct as couldn't find a UK distributor ..... pleased you have them as the fit will be higher rise :) as I know you like that !!

Yes - the fit is actually very similar to my Wrangler 13MWZ (I believe the PBs were deliberately patterned after a fifties design ,though I don't know which one). Sensibly on the natural waist!

Edward

Bartender
Worth the effort IMO. I also purchased one in black lined. Both together came out to $136 stateside. My Dickies 12 oz was $99 alone. The hickory shirts are also great.

Yes, I picked up one of those shirts from them at Rhythm Riot one year, really good stuff. I think I bought it in 2013 or 2014, and it's still going strong...

Here we are.
Another storebrand jacket (Galeria, former Karstadt-Kaufhof). An average solid made Denim jacket, but this time not a blouson, not a slim-fit!
A classic regular-fit jacket. It's really comfortable on the inside, and versatile, for my taste. But the funny point is, that it's really lightweight, what's a big pro for me! :)

Altogether not too bad!
The left pocket is the inner pocket.

Attachments

• IMGP8528.JPG
    IMGP8528.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMGP8529.JPG
    IMGP8529.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP8530.JPG
    IMGP8530.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP8531.JPG
    IMGP8531.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMGP8532.JPG
    IMGP8532.JPG
    530.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP8533.JPG
    IMGP8533.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 68

Sonero

Practically Family
Never heard of the concept. I would probably go with a chore coat of some form if I were looking for something like that.
Tellason has a version a little shorter than a regular chore coat but longer than a Type 3. I love mine.

Also Prison Blues makes a Type 3 jacket and all their clothes are oversized. That would be another option for you.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
As far as I remember, early 90s? Oversize-fit Denim jackets and College jackets?
As someone who also was in highschool in the 90s this was one of the reason denim jacket never beeped into my radar the other reason they were mostly washed pale and soft, only here few years back I saw the first time snug fit denim jacket in heavier raw denim that I could see myself wearing.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As someone who also was in highschool in the 90s this was one of the reason denim jacket never beeped into my radar the other reason they were mostly washed pale and soft, only here few years back I saw the first time snug fit denim jacket in heavier raw denim that I could see myself wearing.
that's exactly how it is.
I have this jeans jacket that is way too soft and doesn't fit well, and I only put it on under another jacket, if at all. Was a bad buy a few years ago that I thought a tailor could fix. But there is just too much does not fit. Sleeves too short and too wide, a cm too long and too wide at the waist. Good thing that I'm not so the denim jacket person anyway.
1649241478212.jpeg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Yes off the shelf denim jacket that fits my torso and neck usually a bit short on the sleeve. Trade off im willing to do, there is the purpose for leather wristband, beads, etc to fill up the gap.

Edward

Bartender

Did you get them? I've been wearing my new ones a lot recently. I like them a lot. The zipper looked on the short side at first, compared to my (much larger, I'm losing weight) Wranglers, but it's great in use. Not quite as robust as the Wrangler zip, though not had any concern about failure.

Here we are.
Another storebrand jacket (Galeria, former Karstadt-Kaufhof). An average solid made Denim jacket, but this time not a blouson, not a slim-fit!
A classic regular-fit jacket. It's really comfortable on the inside, and versatile, for my taste. But the funny point is, that it's really lightweight, what's a big pro for me! :)

Altogether not too bad!
The left pocket is the inner pocket.

I like this a lot. Own-brand / store brand jackets can be real hidden gems if you get the right one. I'm not a fan of paying out big money for denim - it is, after all, something for me that I throw on at the weekend / in circumstances where I wouldn't want to risk expensive clothes.

Nice trews - look like a civilianised version of the British Battledress?

Edward

Bartender
@Edward they are 1943 British Army Gurkha trousers from Bronson.

Aha! Thanks. Bronson don't go up to my size, but I've seen something similar on eBay I might try this Summer. Lack of belt appeals for air travel - it'll still set off the detector, of course, but it's less hassle to be patted down with that than deal with taking a belt on and off.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Here's the Bravestar version. I need a large and this is XL. So I think the smaller size will fit better and take off a little length and get closer to where I want. I still have a vintage 101j so got that look covered with the shorter and boxier cut. Wanted something different here. I think right size will be good and quality and workmanship is really nice.

20220406_085953.jpg
20220406_085928.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
As far as I remember, early 90s? Oversize-fit Denim jackets and College jackets?
Not Type 3s But Lees.

My size Small Gap Lees style jacket. 23" Shoulder width for size small!
IMG_8231.JPG

Gap Lees Relaxed Measurements 003.JPG

I bought this for the hand warmer pockets. It's half bitten as part of the seam. I would love to have this design in leather with a modern type 3 slim fit.

The 70s Wranglers and Lees also have overhanging shoulders (same width as hem width, 21" for size 46, which is really modern M/L, but with two inch bigger shoulders)
Wrangler Vintage 46 Fit 001no mid layer.JPG

Lee Rider Vintage 46 Fit 001no mid layer.JPG

90s is back... again...

Edward

Bartender
Good length on those seventies Wranglers, though.... they reissued that style as part of the 'Icon' series in recent years, but they played around with the proportions and made it slimmer and longer, looks wrong to my eye. I wish they'd release an accurate to the original style version - front pleats, zipper and all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko