Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Fit you perfectly, i bought size S jacket from them few years back and im happy with the pattern too especially my collar and curved back hem. The creases shows the big oz beautifully. And the slanted yoke modified type3 tanuki inspired is sweet too.
Does it shrink?
Thought I'd share some thoughts on my new 23-oz Type III from Wingman Denim out of Indonesia. Those who know me know that I am cheap (aka champagne taste on a beer budget, lol). I would never spend $400 on IH heavy denim jacket, for example. No way. But a 23-oz selvedge Wingman for ninety bucks? Sure. There are some great things coming out of Indonesian menswear artisans, perhaps the most known being high-end boots. But the place is full of denim fans so local denim got to be at least respectable. TFLs own @navetsea mentioned Wingman Denim in one of his posts, so when they announced 23-oz jackets a few weeks ago, I jumped on it. And I am quite happy. I expected a slim, Asian cut, and I got it. I ordered a Medium, am slim-built 5-9 and 145 lbs, and got a t-shirt only fit. Which is what I wanted, anyway. The jacket is built like a tank (you'll see where I am going with this in the pics section, lol), but right off-the bat comfortable with good freedom of movement. Wingman knows what it is doing with the pattern and heavy substrate - armholes are right, shoulders are right, sleeves are right and the hem is right. Buttons will stop .22 rounds, and so will the thick vegtan patch on the inside. Lots of value for ninety bucks if you are after heavy denim. They have lots of other stuff, and if it is as good as this jacket, it is worth it. Here's the webpage:
https://wingmandenim.com/product/sherman-23oz-type-iii-jacket/
View attachment 480322

View attachment 480323

View attachment 480326

View attachment 480327

View attachment 480329

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
My wingman denim jacket
I love the collar style and among other few local brands i think this has the steepest shoulder slope which i like
Screenshot_20230113_092359_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230113_092423_Gallery.jpg
And the curved back yoke and hem is also cool detail my other type3 doesnt have.

Al 916

One Too Many
Further to Ton's purple dyeing antics, what dyes would be recommended for un fading indigo denim.

What has given you good indigo (non purple) results?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Indigo x black raw non non selvedge If not mistaken it was 13oz, type3 inspired by one of indonesian brand i bought it early 2019 following a swooping trend here around that time that every member need to have a denim jacket because indigo kills covid virus.
Screenshot_20230303_103734_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230303_103807_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230303_103835_Gallery.jpg
Before this one I never buy any denim jackets,
I patched it around a year ago, has been washed multiple times but under 10x
There are some fades eventually after 4 yrs, the buttons used to be black enamelled brass, but mostly have lost its black paint.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd share some thoughts on my new 23-oz Type III from Wingman Denim out of Indonesia. Those who know me know that I am cheap (aka champagne taste on a beer budget, lol). I would never spend $400 on IH heavy denim jacket, for example. No way. But a 23-oz selvedge Wingman for ninety bucks? Sure. There are some great things coming out of Indonesian menswear artisans, perhaps the most known being high-end boots. But the place is full of denim fans so local denim got to be at least respectable. TFLs own @navetsea mentioned Wingman Denim in one of his posts, so when they announced 23-oz jackets a few weeks ago, I jumped on it. And I am quite happy. I expected a slim, Asian cut, and I got it. I ordered a Medium, am slim-built 5-9 and 145 lbs, and got a t-shirt only fit. Which is what I wanted, anyway. The jacket is built like a tank (you'll see where I am going with this in the pics section, lol), but right off-the bat comfortable with good freedom of movement. Wingman knows what it is doing with the pattern and heavy substrate - armholes are right, shoulders are right, sleeves are right and the hem is right. Buttons will stop .22 rounds, and so will the thick vegtan patch on the inside. Lots of value for ninety bucks if you are after heavy denim. They have lots of other stuff, and if it is as good as this jacket, it is worth it. Here's the webpage:
https://wingmandenim.com/product/sherman-23oz-type-iii-jacket/
View attachment 480322

View attachment 480323

View attachment 480326

View attachment 480327

View attachment 480329
Here's the evolution in 4 months biking in it almost every day as an underlayer, 1 wash.

4 months.jpg

I like to say sorry, my loungers!!
Of course I like to post something new or interesting, but I actually got enough Denim, especially type III jackets, for the rest of my life, so I'm strongly avoiding buying new stuff. :cool:

My loungers, this time I was just too weak... :p

A new classic type III jacket by C&A. They call the colour "denim green", but I don't really see green. I would call it "Pistachio". Or how would you call it??
"Pea soup", maybe"? ;)

First three pics flash, last three pics non-flash.

Attachments

• IMGP9414.JPG
    IMGP9414.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP9412.JPG
    IMGP9412.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMGP9411.JPG
    IMGP9411.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP9402.JPG
    IMGP9402.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP9401.JPG
    IMGP9401.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP9400.JPG
    IMGP9400.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 36

doug5551

New in Town
Ok,

I swear that I came to this forum for the leather jackets, and I now have 11 different leather jackets in my closet to prove just that.

Could someone please explain to me how I now have a Brave Star Ironside 21.5 OZ selvedge Type 3 denim jacket in transit?!!?!?!

I guess that my explanation is that I have never owned a denim Trucker jacket in my life before?

Can I successfully blame this thread???

With a coupon it was only $151, which is less than most of my leather jackets.

Not sure what my other jackets will think.

Will report back in a few days after arrival.

Ok,

I swear that I came to this forum for the leather jackets, and I now have 11 different leather jackets in my closet to prove just that.

Could someone please explain to me how I now have a Brave Star Ironside 21.5 OZ selvedge Type 3 denim jacket in transit?!!?!?!

I guess that my explanation is that I have never owned a denim Trucker jacket in my life before?

Can I successfully blame this thread???

With a coupon it was only $151, which is less than most of my leather jackets.

Not sure what my other jackets will think.

Will report back in a few days after arrival.

I repeat myself, but if you accidentally step through the "type III jacket portal", you will never be seen again... :p

TLW '90

Practically Family
I really like this blanket lined Big Smith, but it's a little big on me and I'm hoping I can find another that fits me better.
20230206_131719.jpg

20230206_131749.jpg

I don't know how old it is, I'm guessing 90's ?
It's in really good condition and I think I payed $50 for it, so maybe I can find another better fitting example for just as cheap or even less.
It's not a Buckaroo, but still has some charm to it nonetheless.

Last edited:

doug5551

New in Town
Thank you for asking.

Yes, it is without a doubt 1.5 kg or 3 lbs.

It is extremely well made. The brass buttons are extremely solid and heavy. The jacket is so solid that it seems bulletproof. It is an incredible value at $150. I am very impressed with my first Brave Star purchase. It is built so well that I am sure it will outlast me!! It is good enough to be a one and done denim jacket.

Thanks for all people who posted on this thread which led to my education and the purchase of this most excellent denim jacket!!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
My loungers, this time I was just too weak... :p

A new classic type III jacket by C&A. They call the colour "denim green", but I don't really see green. I would call it "Pistachio". Or how would you call it??
"Pea soup", maybe"? ;)

First three pics flash, last three pics non-flash.
nice color, a non washed and starched version of that would fade nicely I bet, although your washed version is also in versatile color that can be combined with anything old and new

Nacho

Practically Family
I really like this blanket lined Big Smith, but it's a little big on me and I'm hoping I can find another that fits me better.
View attachment 538461
View attachment 538462
I don't know how old it is, I'm guessing 90's ?
It's in really good condition and I think I payed $50 for it, so maybe I can find another better fitting example for just as cheap or even less.
It's not a Buckaroo, but still has some charm to it nonetheless.
Was big smith part of JC Penney’s workwear lineup, right? Or Montgomery Ward if I’m not mistaken?

TLW '90

Practically Family
Was big smith part of JC Penney’s workwear lineup, right? Or Montgomery Ward if I’m not mistaken?
They may have sold them, but BIg Smith was an actual workwear manufacturer not just a house brand.

You're probably thinking of Big Mac from JC Penney's.

Should anyone care, Ship John did it again; Yet another utterly original and inspired piece has just been announced & this time in a form of a denim trucker *gasp* lined with real sheepskin instead of fleece thus making it un-washable which completely defeats the purpose of such garment.
Per their own admission, they actually had to "put their heads together" to come up with such a brilliant idea so there's that. Oh, and it'll "spendy". And only 45 will be made. Wow.

33.png

Nacho

Practically Family
They may have sold them, but BIg Smith was an actual workwear manufacturer not just a house brand.

You're probably thinking of Big Mac from JC Penney's.
Ah you’re right.

I’ve seen these Big Smiths floating around eBay lately. Surprisingly well-constructed - blanket liners, big Talon zip, and snap cuffs. You scored yourself a good one there.

Thanks for the clarification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ