Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denture Tablets As A Cleaner?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Shearer said:
I just got a dress in the mail that I was really excited about, only to find that the yellowing, especially around the shoulder area, was much more than I expected (surprise, surprise!)

All in all, the dress is in great condition for it's age... seems to be all cotton, so at least I'm not working with rayon here. However it looks like it was stored on a hanger for a long time, and judging from the smell, perhaps in a smoking environment :eusa_doh:

So has anyone used OxyClean on yellowing with any success? I'd like to try that before I start slapping on pastes, and before I try the denture method.

Yes, Oxyclean works great on yellowing and especially on sweat stains (removes the odor wonderfully as well.) You do have to be careful with certain garments/materials (spot test first), but I have used it succesfully many times with many types of fabric (even on wool, in fact.)

I very rarely dry clean garments, as I generally prefer hand washing. It is true that materials like crepe will shrink when wet, but they can be ironed or steamed back into their original shape and size once dry.

Febreeze leaves a residue that damages fabrics over time, so I would be careful using it on vintage clothing.

Shearer

Practically Family
Thanks, JBD! I went and got the small sized OxiClean and now I'm thinking I might have to invest in the huge vat of it :D

For future reference for anyone, I thought the material in my dress could stand a hot soak with the OxiClean and the yellowing seems to be coming out better than I expected. Truthfully, I didn't have super high hopes, since some of the staining seems to have been from ciggy smoke. Now I wish I'd taken some before and after pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925