Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depp sports a hat like this!?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I have one very similar to yours in that respect. It was probably my first vintage hat. I though the guy who cleaned it ruined the color of the hat. ;) :p

Regards,

J

I had thought it was the dirt on mine that gave it that shade, but Art had discovered the color difference when he removed all the grosgrain & the liner. In a way it's a shame that it was sun faded into the tan/grey that it is now. It would be fun to find one in that original rosey color. But I sure do enjoy what I have now.

Cheers!

Dan

Newteh

New in Town
Thanks for your replies.

I have done some more research, the reviews I have seen confirm that the grey fedora Johnny wears seems to be a Borsalino. Though does not say which one.

I will look into the Whippet, though why is the consensus that it is a Stetson when Johnny himself has said it is a Borsalino from Italy.

Regards,

Newton

Newteh

New in Town
Hello again,

Does anyone know what Borsalino this is?

I have seen interviews and articles of Johnny Depp, such as one of USA Today which states;
The actor is 43 but doesn't look battle-hardened. His boyish face is shaded by the wide brim of a well-worn gray Borsalino hat

I have read other threads on this forum discussing the subject but no conclusion has appeared to be reached on Depp's grey fedora.

There is some confusion as to this grey fedora being a Borsalino of some kind, or a Stetson Whippet.

Could someone with better insight please clarify?

Many thanks,

Newton

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Whatever it is, it's long out of production. Most Borsalinos didn't have model names stamped on the sweats or liners like other hats, so it's impossible to say what model it is.

It may or may not actually be a stetson whippet, but that's the style it is, so it's easy to call it that, just stylistically.

The consensus for it being a Whippet comes from it looking really, really like a Whippet.

But if there're interviews where Depp says it's a Borsalino, then it's a Borsalino. The main point i can see against it being a Whippet is the wind cord. I've never seen a Whippet with the "attached button"-type wind cord. Only ever with the type where the button attaches to the lapel buttonhole.

Come to think of it, maybe the Depp hat ribbon's a little too thin and crown's a little too high for a Whippet?

bk

Newteh

New in Town
The Borsalino could be the brown one he wears?

When Depp was interviewed he talked about wearing a new hat in 2003, as opposed to the one he always wore before. He said it was a Borsalino but no colour was mentioned. It may have been the grey one who knows, but other media sources picked up on him as wearing a grey Borsalino.

The whippet does look like a very close match, I will keep my eyes open on eBay for one.

Regards,

Newton

D00R

One of the Regulars
found a replica of his hat..

img1356yz3.jpg

giftsgagsjokes.com

IMG_1470.JPG

Newteh

New in Town
Thanks D00R

Interesting find, states that it is handmade. Would be a good alternative to finding the exact fedora JD wears.

What do you think about the quality of the stitching?

Regards,

Newton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn