Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depressed by the modern world

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I prefer to drive 'Twenties machines, but find many 'Thirties designs to be beautiful. My favorite being the 1935 Chrysler CZ Airstream:

1935-chrysler-cz-airstream-dsf.jpg

1935-chrysler-cz-airstream-dash.jpg

That...is...STUNNING!!

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
When it comes to modern cars I must say that I do like the PT Cruiser.

I have a PT Cruiser. Thankfully I was able to find one with a manual transmission, as the automatic version is rather anemic. But it's infuriating that it's a "half-assed" car in some aspects, as the kids say. My motorcycle has better brakes; ABS on a Harley! While the PT Cruiser has disc brakes in front, drum brakes in rear. Even though I have the Touring Model, it doesn't have cruise control, which is the epitome of touring to me!

What it does have is style, though. And overall it's roomy enough for most of my needs. But as time goes on and I stay in a big metropolitan area, I see myself thinking I'll have a small electric car in the future. And I'm OK with that!

RD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd gladly buy a modern car if I could find one without all the encrustations that cars have now -- I don't have any need for power windows or power locks, and living where I do, where the winters are long and cold, they are a real disadvantage: they freeze shut and can't be opened until the temperatures go up. I don't have any need for AC -- it's only hot enough for it two weeks out of the year here, so why waste the money on it? I don't have any need for GPS -- I know how to read a road map, and I hardly ever drive anywhere I need one. I don't have any need for a super-duper sound system -- I listen to AM radio or cassettes of 78s. I don't need power seats or DVD players or any of the rest of that stuff. Creature comforts aren't important to me -- it's a car, it isn't a house, and I think if you get too comfortable in a car you get lazy. When you're just uncomfortable enough you're paying attention to what you're doing.

So. Build me a stripped down, non-computerized, simple car with a very basic manual transmission, a cheap radio, a heater, and roll-down windows, a 21st Century equivalent of a Plymouth Roadking, and I'll consider it. Oh, and vent windows. I want vent windows or it's no deal.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Funny, exactly what I thought of when Shangas said that.

I heard, whether or not it's true, that the Aztek was a design of many people put together. Needless to say, their ideas didn't jive.

Tom, this was an experiment called the "blindfold approval method."
The head person wore a blindfold, and approved a design they never really saw.
In addition to this, the design team was made up from people all over the department.
Unfortunately none of them were in the art or design department.
Hey, it could have happened this way. Sure seems like it. :D

I'll agree with many on this thread, that somehow the definition of "quality" has changed without any notice.
We just threw away a lamp that gave out after only 5yrs. Dern thing was $150 dollars!!!
It's not the cost that bothers me, it's the short length of time before the whole thing quit working.

Last edited:

missjo

Practically Family
I fight the modern world, or at least the negative sides of modern society.
Like a one woman army I confront people who behave in an anti social manner, a way of behaviour sadly almost accepted and ignored by most other people.
I complain when the media is vulgar and obscene, I complain when the shopassistant is not polite, etc, etc.
Yes, the modern world is not loved by me but in stead of trying to ignore and hide it away, I attack.
I call myself a Neo Traditionalist, someone who believes the world should look at the past and learn from it, look backwards to move forwards, use the past to make a better tomorrow.
In stead of dreaming about the entire world becoming more like the 1930s were, I'm trying to import some 1930s things into a new modern society.

But yes... often I despair
And one day I hope to just withdraw from this modern society and either go live in a cottage in the woods somewhere or start a 1930s themed commune.

CharleneC

Familiar Face
I'll agree with many on this thread, that somehow the definition of "quality" has changed without any notice.
We just threw away a lamp that gave out after only 5yrs. Dern thing was $150 dollars!!!
It's not the cost that bothers me, it's the short length of time before the whole thing quit working.

You couldn't replace the switch or rewire it as necessary? I've done that with a few lamps. It's easy and economical.

noonblueapples

Familiar Face
I'd gladly buy a modern car if I could find one without all the encrustations that cars have now -- I don't have any need for power windows or power locks, and living where I do, where the winters are long and cold, they are a real disadvantage: they freeze shut and can't be opened until the temperatures go up. I don't have any need for AC -- it's only hot enough for it two weeks out of the year here, so why waste the money on it? I don't have any need for GPS -- I know how to read a road map, and I hardly ever drive anywhere I need one. I don't have any need for a super-duper sound system -- I listen to AM radio or cassettes of 78s. I don't need power seats or DVD players or any of the rest of that stuff. Creature comforts aren't important to me -- it's a car, it isn't a house, and I think if you get too comfortable in a car you get lazy. When you're just uncomfortable enough you're paying attention to what you're doing.

So. Build me a stripped down, non-computerized, simple car with a very basic manual transmission, a cheap radio, a heater, and roll-down windows, a 21st Century equivalent of a Plymouth Roadking, and I'll consider it. Oh, and vent windows. I want vent windows or it's no deal.

Sounds a lot like my 2007 Ford Focus; no power anything, no a/c manual transmission, no GPS or digital screen. It does have computerized fuel injection (I prefer that for cold starts and find it easier to work on), and no vent windows. The major difference being that the Focus was designed to last about 10 years, and the Roadking was designed to last forever.

Flicka

One Too Many
I think it has been discussed here;
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?11170-Our-own-vintage-town/page143

But maybe we should start a new thread, because to me this is a very serious realistic plan.

I started a facebook group for it;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1930scommune

This was actually one of the most interesting ideas I've come across in a long time. I think it'd be completely doable. Not easy, but doable. And there's plenty of cheap property here... Everything north of Stockholm can basically be had for song and a dance. Of course, it'd be dark half the year, which is why it's half price. ;)

ETA: I joined the Facebook group, anyway.

Last edited:

hbenthow

Familiar Face
Like others have said, I think the best solution is to surround yourself with things of the past that you are fond of.

My motto is "the best of both worlds" (the worlds in question being the past and the present). I believe that it's important to have a certain amount of nostalgia, and to stay grounded to some degree in history and the past. That can take away some of the metaphorical "jet-lag" we can get from the fast-paced, always-changing world we live in. But there are also some benefits to living in the present day (such as improved medical technologies, the increased knowledge that the information age gives us access to, and an unparalleled access to the art and literature of virtually every era), and you don't necessarily have to give up all of those. It's a matter of balance.

I don't believe in progress with a capital P. As times change, some things get better, some things get worse, and sometimes there's a trade-off (gain something good but lose another good thing in the process, or get rid of one problem just to be presented with a new one). I believe that the best way to build a better future is to preserve those elements of the past that are worth preserving, gain back a few that we've unnecessarily lost, and keep the genuine improvements we have made over the years.

I think that what keeps society at large from implementing this approach is what I call "reverse rose-tinted glasses". I'm sure you're all familiar with the expression "rose-tinted glasses", which refers to a biased, overly fond view of the past that overlooks problems and flaws that existed back then. Well, I think that there is also an opposite phenomenon (which I call "reverse rose-tinted glasses"), in which people are so adamant in their belief that we live in the best, most advanced, most intelligent era ever that they fail to acknowledge that maybe a few things really were better before, that we have lost some good things over the years (some of which can perhaps be gained back), and that sometimes the danger of "progressing" right off the edge of a cliff necessitates turning back to figure out where you made a wrong turn.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I prefer to drive 'Twenties machines, but find many 'Thirties designs to be beautiful. My favorite being the 1935 Chrysler CZ Airstream:
How I love 1930's cars. It seems that there was a free reign on design on both sides of the Atlantic in the 1930's. Whilst Jaguar, or SS as it was known before the rise of Hitler's Gestapo, was a much coveted beauty, I would just love to find, asleep in a barn somewhere, the magnificent MG WA. This particular car was at this year's Goodwood Revival.

@lizzie

Germany loves "basic-cars", without needles gadgets, too! We got sick of rolling computers, I tell you. I'm happy, to drive the Kia Rio II ("Rio 5" at the USA), base-modell. A great 2005's pure compact-car, like early 90's. With ESP, as the only modern electronic-gadget.
It's such an relaxing car. Always love driving on it. You can hear radio totally and you don't perceive the silent Alpha-engine.

Edward

Bartender
The best thing about living now is that I can pick and choose what I want from earlier eras.

I'm all for people having the freedom to choose not to engage in social media or have a mobile phone or whatever, though I have known one or two who feel that that's not enough unless everyone else knows they don't, and how superior that makes them. (A few years ago, the same people wold have been happy enough with us all knowing how enlightened there were not to haved a television.) That gets old very quickly. ;)

And one day I hope to just withdraw from this modern society and either go live in a cottage in the woods somewhere or start a 1930s themed commune.

This could be the set-up to a sequel to The Village. ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
How I love 1930's cars. It seems that there was a free reign on design on both sides of the Atlantic in the 1930's. Whilst Jaguar, or SS as it was known before the rise of Hitler's Gestapo, was a much coveted beauty, I would just love to find, asleep in a barn somewhere, the magnificent MG WA. This particular car was at this year's Goodwood Revival.

Absolutely beautiful motorcar, stunning.

One of the things which gets me about modern cars is the lack of elegance.

Our last car in Australia before we moved here was a 1969 Mercedes 280S (an S class) which we loved. Lovely to drive and beautiful to look at. Just today I saw a new S Class Merc drive past and it was a hideous looking thing - fat arse, bits cut out here and there, the whole thing looked like a bloated hunk of metal.

I really think that the idea of progress in car design is a misnomer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot