Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depression Glass

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Not sure where to post this but I thought we'd all talk about Depression Glass, I don't know much about it. I know the more common glass is the green one. Well yesterday I was at my favorite antique store Kaleidoscope in Monrovia, and everytime I go there I want to buy some! Well they also have pink depression glass, so I picked up a set, to start myself out. It's a creamer, sugar and holder set. and it's pink!! someday I'll buy some green glass, since green is my favorite color but I think the pink glass is really pretty. So someone, tell me the history of it. I'm going to start collecting it, but I'd like to know more about it, oh and pictures to follow soon! (Once I can find my camera)

RBH

Bartender
I had a great aunt that had a huge collection of Depression Glass, my wife still has a few of the pieces.
It was always my understanding that the glass was a giveaway by companies in that time to get or to keep you as a customer.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
a gift you say? boy and now we have to pull an arm and a leg just to get it! ahh the joys of living in this cruddy modern world *sigh of disgust* oh well... I enjoy collecting it, I'll post pics of my glass soon!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
BinkieBaumont said:
I have a lovely "Trifle" setting alas im missing a small bowl (only have five) its in a strawberry coloured glass, with deco accents

if you are in the USA you need to google "Trifle" its a UK desert

Neat, I looked it up, I could use some desert right now lol I love deco things wooo!

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
My grandmother has an extensive collection of depression glass that I am to inherit someday (many years from now, hopefully). She also has a really interesting collection of Oatmeal Cups and Saucers-- An Oatmeal company, I believe it was "Mother's Oats" used to put a china cup and saucer inside every box of oatmeal-- every time you bought a box, you got another set. Grandma has several pieces from about four collections.

I'd love to find a cup and saucer in my cereal box any day, rather than the power ranger action figures I find now... Not that I don't like crime-fighting, elaborately dressed ninjas...

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
My best advice to you is educate yourself. There are volumes of reference books on depression glass. Buy from reputable sellers. The market has been flooded with reproductions in the last couple decades.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I never much cared for "Depression galss", but we do have most of a large service in the "Madrid" pattern in a cupboard. I really do not care for that sickly yellow-amber color. We have a luncheon service in the Manhattan pattern, but do not much use it. Really the only Depression glass that we actually use are pieces of our service in the Duncan and Miller "Sandwich" pattern, as they work so well with our early pattern glass.

We do have a luncheon and tea service in Fry Foval which comes out of the cupboard for our New Year's open house, and a few sets of Tiffin reched stemware that we often use for dinner service.

Most of the depression glass that we have came from older family members, save the still-inexpensive Duncan and Miller and the Tiffin. This elegant Depression glassware does not seem to find a ready market here, and so is rather cheap when it turns up at antique shops.

Foofoogal

Banned
I started as a glass and doll dealer. Mostly depression glass though much of my inventory of glass is packed away I will try to help id if anyone needs help. So much of it is and has been reproduced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters