Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby edge binding repair

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just received a Mallory derby that I purchased on ebay and it needs new edge ribbon binding. Does anyone know where I could get some ribbon that would be good for this?

Also I'd really rather have a pro do it for me. Does anyone know of a hatter that works with derbies?

Thanks,
Sam

fmw

One Too Many
I had an edge binding replaced by Optimo on my pencil curled homburg. You wouldn't know it was repaired. Excellent work.

grayhomburg.jpg

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
I don't but it wasn't terrible. The hat was cleaned, reblocked and even got a new ribbon so I don't remember the individual charges. $30 bucks, perhaps. Give them a call. You need a specialized sewing machine to do edge bindings. I'd let the pros do it.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
FMW is absolutely right ... and wise, to boot

If you don't know what you are doing or have the right equipment, don't try that repair

HOWEVER ... also make sure whoever you get to do it is experienced.

I had two antique bowlers ruined years ago when they were blocked on blocks that were too small and the crowns were shrunk

You really DO get what you pay for

Sam

casechopper

I contacted Optimo with a photo and their response was that the hat would probably need a full renovation which would start at around $100 plus S/H. This is a bit high for me and I really don't think the hat needs a full renovation. Does anyone know of any other hat repairers who are experienced with derbies?

Thanks,
Sam

fmw

One Too Many
Two more thoughts. Buckaroo Hatters does edge binding. I know because he did the hat in my avatar with a bound edge. Since he does a lot of hats for SASS shooters, derbies have to be part of his mix. Give Major Moore a call. Another place with which I have dealt that should be able to handle it is Henry the Hatter in Detroit. He has affordable prices and great service. He's done two hat restorations for me. Three now that I think about it. Call Joe Renkiewicz.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
I contacted Optimo with a photo and their response was that the hat would probably need a full renovation which would start at around $100 plus S/H. This is a bit high for me and I really don't think the hat needs a full renovation. Does anyone know of any other hat repairers who are experienced with derbies?

Thanks,
Sam

I have some axperience renovating derbys, I start few years a go a small business, I have a website where I have vontage hats for sale and I do hatcleaning and renovation, I have a thread where I show the renovation of a Lock&Co. Derby, I can do that kind of job.

Fortino37

casechopper

I emailed Parker a few days ago but haven't heard back from him yet. I'll try contacting the Major and Henry (thanks fmw) and see what they say.

I saw yours Fortino37. The only thing that worries me is that you're in Mexico and shipping a hat back and forth internationally could get expensive.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
I live in Mexicali right in the border with USA, I have a Mail Box in Calexico Ca Zip 92231, I cross the border several times a week all the material I use for the restorations and hat care are bought in USA and delivered to my PMB in Calexico.

Fortino37

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Fortino37, if you have not yet put your name and shipping address in the "Merchants" section, please do. You could build up a good reputation here on the Lounge with some success stories. :)

casechopper

Fortino37,
Not sure if you want to discuss prices in public but what would it cost to get the brim binging replaced and the back of the sweatband repaired? (there's about a 1" section of the sweatband that the stitching has come loose on. If you don't want to talk prices publicly send me a pm.

Thanks,
Sam

fmw

One Too Many
Parker will be slow, I think, judging from the order I have pending with him. Joe at Henry the Hatter does most repairs in a day or two. He's very quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24