Derby, Western, Fedora...a Venerable Legend, THE Stetson 3X...BEFORE 1970!!!!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by M Hatman, Jun 28, 2018.

1. alanfgag

alanfgag

Tailored Edge - raw, subtly rounded, not felted. Clear nutria c.1939-41.

tailored_edge1.jpg

tailored_edge2.jpg

Mode-edge - thickened and reinforced (felted?). Marked 3X Beaver, c.1939-41.

mode_edge1.jpg

mode_edge2.jpg

2. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

05F36185-8ED6-4231-B942-350BEAE3EFFA.jpeg CD498770-36A5-4670-BF6C-FED5CB68BB24.jpeg 5240250F-9812-42B2-8018-B9DCF9B1C0C0.jpeg

3. ^^^^ Whew! I was wondering where it was (thinking you had posted here before the New Hats thread). Very cool! Congrats Greg!

Bamaboots likes this.
  4. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

I’m 0 for 2 in my latest attempts for hats outside or inside of my size range. My latest attempt, thanks to some MO enablers, one Setter, the other Retriever. I thank them both for their time and especially the effort of the Retriever to secure the hat. Probably the cleanest 3X OR I’ve seen and certainly the nicest one under my roof. The great thing about this one is the felt. Thin and dense with a fine finish. My only other 3X OR is likely a 40’s Model with an oilcloth protected LD liner and the same dimensions as this one. 2 7/8 x 5 1/2.

This hat appears to be a much more recent rendition. Most notably there are no mfg labels underside and the LD liner is spot glued. The surprising thing about this hat is the felt. It is much more dense and thin than one I would have expected from this era. Every bit the equal of my 40’s hat and perhaps better and it does have a better finish. Makes me think of a new hat made with an old blank. Just my thoughts, not a claim. A really soft dress weight OR that can be shaped with a swipe.

The 0 for 2 part is that it doesn’t fit, a bit off. Thought she wanted it but no.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Holy cow, that's nice looking.

Bamaboots likes this.
  6. alanfgag

alanfgag

Real nice.

Bamaboots likes this.
  7. Early 1950s "Spanish Trail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ross Young

Ross Young One of the Regulars

Nice one, Bob!

BobHufford likes this.
  9. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Practically Family

Selv-Edge 3X:
    IMG_1453.jpg IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1455.jpg IMG_2192.JPG
    Specs:
    2-1/2" Brim
    1/4" welt (Selv-Edge)
    5-1/2" Crown (open)
    1.75" Ribbon (just under)
    106g Weight
    Picked this up awhile ago but just recently got around to spending some time with it as it arrived rather crumpled. Still needs some work but at least it is to a point where it is wearable. There was no liner and there are no tags anywhere to be found. The only identification is the duplication number stamp on the back of the sweat. Fit is a touch loose, so if I had to guess I'd say it might be a 7-3/8 LO.

The felt itself has a nice hand, and the Selv-Edge is an interesting finish. I believe I read that it was first glued, stitched to hold it together during the curing phase, and then the stitch was removed.

The hat could probably use a proper reblocking and reflange of the brim. I struggled for quite a while trying to get it shaped like I wanted it. Still not completely happy as it currently stands. There is some slight water staining to the ribbon towards the back, though nothing too significant that it detracts from the overall appearance.

Jury is still out if I'm going to keep this or not. I'll give it some head time and decide at a later date.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    steur, Rmccamey, BobHufford and 2 others like this.
  10. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Very nice. Sometimes the hats that are a bit beat up are the best bargains.

TheOldFashioned likes this.