Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby, Western, Fedora...a Venerable Legend, THE Stetson 3X...BEFORE 1970!!!!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes you take a chance on a bad presentation and blurry photos on eBay and it pays off.

A full six-inch crown and a very generous three-inch brim. Nice wide brim binding on top, thinner on the bottom with the stitching showing off on the underside. Stars and stars; red size tag w/o block designation, orange re-order tag, and what may be the date stamped on the sweatband. Store marking - Lundstroms. No initials, etc. A 3X, of course.

We shall call this one the Huggy Bear.

When I received it, it had "hat hair."

View attachment 207119

Cleaned up real nice, though. Great felt. Thick and of course, pettable.

View attachment 207129 View attachment 207128 View attachment 207127 View attachment 207122 View attachment 207123 View attachment 207124 View attachment 207125

Maybe a date?

View attachment 207126
Nice score!
The felt finish looks a little longer-haired than my grey 3XBQ, and your brim just a touch wider. Mine is estimated at c. 1950, with a year or so wiggle room, so that 48 would fit right in as a date of manufacture.
I certainly hope your sweatband fares better than mine!

Nice score!
The felt finish looks a little longer-haired than my grey 3XBQ, and your brim just a touch wider. Mine is estimated at c. 1950, with a year or so wiggle room, so that 48 would fit right in as a date of manufacture.
I certainly hope your sweatband fares better than mine!

Thanks, John. I had forgotten about yours.

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sometimes you take a chance on a bad presentation and blurry photos on eBay and it pays off.

A full six-inch crown and a very generous three-inch brim. Nice wide brim binding on top, thinner on the bottom with the stitching showing off on the underside. Stars and stars; red size tag w/o block designation, orange re-order tag, and what may be the date stamped on the sweatband. Store marking - Lundstroms. No initials, etc. A 3X, of course.

We shall call this one the Huggy Bear.

When I received it, it had "hat hair."

View attachment 207119

Cleaned up real nice, though. Great felt. Thick and of course, pettable.

View attachment 207129 View attachment 207128 View attachment 207127 View attachment 207122 View attachment 207123 View attachment 207124 View attachment 207125

Maybe a date?

View attachment 207126

Very cool! Learn something everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Curious to find out what you learned. I'm kinda assuming you thought all 3Xs were Western or dress Western?
I thought 3X was a western hat period. Any Stetson #X in my mind was a cowboy hat. I never thought about the difference between dress western and regular western/cowboy hats. Your 3X has the appearance of a dress hat in the Whippet style. So I was a little confused with the designation of 3X for what I thought was a regular dress hat. I hope my circular answer makes sense. The bottom line is that I like your Stetson Dress Western 3X, and now I have a better understanding of the nuances of various western styles. You have expanded my hat horizons, LOL!

Guess I ought to drop this in the thread...

f3cd57938110d0d8b4b720ef0c9e3212.jpg

51ca4f9b545528a09e4951f6bd655cca.jpg

4bef84030c43175243a5e2282f49d8d8.jpg

I thought 3X was a western hat period. Any Stetson #X in my mind was a cowboy hat. I never thought about the difference between dress western and regular western/cowboy hats. Your 3X has the appearance of a dress hat in the Whippet style. So I was a little confused with the designation of 3X for what I thought was a regular dress hat. I hope my circular answer makes sense. The bottom line is that I like your Stetson Dress Western 3X, and now I have a better understanding of the nuances of various western styles. You have expanded my hat horizons, LOL!

Reggie, this is a dress hat. Nothing Western about it. The 3X was/is a quality designation, not just reserved for Westerns.

Yeah, it's funny. I knew 3X was quality, but since so many guys post vintage western-style hats with all the X's, I just assumed western. I admire and appreciate western hats; however, they are just not on my general radar. I always had trouble hitting the curveball.
Just look through this thread......there are some great examples of OTHER than westerns........
I will say...I like them ALL........westerns included!!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk