Derby, Western, Fedora...a Venerable Legend, THE Stetson 3X...BEFORE 1970!!!!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by M Hatman, Jun 28, 2018.

1. JessieJames

JessieJames One of the Regulars

I have one Stetson from each of them :D so I'm quite happy
    I tell people all the time I got them off strong hat collectors.

2. alanfgag

alanfgag

Couple I used to own... all have been passed on.

3x8.jpg

3x10.jpg

3XOR2.jpg

3XOR4.jpg

stetson3X1.jpg

stetson3X2.jpg

fifteen1.jpg

fifteen4.jpg

3. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Unique examples, all. Thanks for posting those.

alanfgag and Robieman like this.
  4. alanfgag

alanfgag

Couple I still have...

imperial11.jpg

imperial9.jpg

tijuana1.jpg

tijuana4.jpg

5. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

In the context of what we normally see, those two reach the "VERY" unique category.

Sometimes I'll be damned is all I got.

6. alanfgag

alanfgag

One 3X western I still have has a low crown (telescope, if I remember correctly) and a chin strap. My daughter wore it as Annie Oakley in High School.

annie_lily.jpg

3.jpg

I think she felt more like a sharpshooter in the red hat, though...

5.jpg

7. Bob's probably thinking that wearing his too.

[​IMG]

8. alanfgag

alanfgag

I think you're right on target. ;^)

9. Ha, ha! Though if that would help (and the hat fit me) it might have to be mine.

10. I know Wild Bill's & Top Rail are long closed & gone, but I can see you now at Midnight Rodeo or Cowboy 2000. Don't ask me how I know about those places.

11. To bring things back on track to the 3X Stetson..:eek::rolleyes:;)..here is a circa 1950 3X standing counter card right next to a Royal for comparison.......
    Each 5 1/2" by 7"
    M:) 3X Beaver.jpg

12. Here is a 1932 ad which among other things lists the "NEW" price for a 3X Stetson being reduced from 16.50 to 15.00......(Standard Quality now being $5) 1932.jpg

13. 1949....Miller Stockman 1949.jpg

14. Stetson Teton in 3X 1954 ad...... Stetson Teton.jpg

15. Circa 1960 catalog entry for the Open Road which shows well where 3X fits in the line up!! It is interesting to note the OR was being offered in ALL qualities including a Royal Quality version with a 2 1/2 inch brim:eek:. The rest were all offered with a 2 3/4 brim....
    M;) Open Road.jpg

16. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Interesting, Mark. The Royal and 100 only available in reg oval. My late 40's-early 50's Royal has a 2 5/8 brim and my 60's 100 is a LO.

17. Yes I find it all very interesting too......I would remark that the listed qualities and ovals/colors are regular stock.....it does say custom made styles in a variety of colors, regular and long ovals, and qualities were available with an 8 week wait for delivery.......
    I have always wondered just how common that was......I know I have paperwork for individual custom hat orders but they date to the early 1900's........I WILL say I was surprised that a member posted the outlet in Garland replaced a sweat AND liner on a vintage hat for them very recently!!!!

Cornshucker77 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  18. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Was a surprise. Maybe they are set up to refurb whatever QC doesn't catch.

Cornshucker77 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. itsallgood

itsallgood Familiar Face

I'm kind of bummed reading this, I wish I had seen this thread two days ago :( I was high bid on a nice mid-50s 3X in my size all week on eBay. There were dozens watching, but the bid activity was static until the last ten minutes. I had something blow up at work just then and couldn't pay attention. I figured oh well, but if I got it, I'd see if I could have it shipped directly to Art to be brought up to spec. As it worked out, the bid zoomed past me. I hope the hat found a good home. Although, the person that did get it, in looking at their profile, had put in nearly 500 eBay bids in the past 30 days. Who puts in 500 eBay bids in 30 days?!?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Rmccamey likes this.
  20. Lots of buying & selling going on regardless of one's personal size.