Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby, Western, Fedora...a Venerable Legend, THE Stetson 3X...BEFORE 1970!!!!

The telescope creased chinstrapped 1950s 3X western hat posted above. Annie has grown up and I seldom wear this, if you have interest in size 7 1/8, send me a PM.

annie3x_1.jpg

annie3x_3.jpg

annie3x_2.jpg

annie3x_4.jpg

annie3x_5.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
500 bids in 30 days - sounds like Max :)

I'm kind of bummed reading this, I wish I had seen this thread two days ago :( I was high bid on a nice mid-50s 3X in my size all week on eBay. There were dozens watching, but the bid activity was static until the last ten minutes. I had something blow up at work just then and couldn't pay attention. I figured oh well, but if I got it, I'd see if I could have it shipped directly to Art to be brought up to spec. As it worked out, the bid zoomed past me. I hope the hat found a good home. Although, the person that did get it, in looking at their profile, had put in nearly 500 eBay bids in the past 30 days. Who puts in 500 eBay bids in 30 days?!?

I posted this hat today in "New hat" thread, but wanted to put here as well since it is a 3X! This is how I received it, and once I get it cleaned up and reshaped, I'll try and think to post pics then as well.
View attachment 175386 View attachment 175387 View attachment 175388 View attachment 175389 View attachment 175390 View attachment 175391 View attachment 175392 View attachment 175393 View attachment 175394 View attachment 175395
NICE...NICE.....Nice!!!!!;)
Thanks for posting.....good to have that liner in this thread!!!!!!
Did I say Nice?!?!?!? Great hat!!!

Robieman

A-List Customer
Yesterday morning, I cleaned up this 3X I posted a few days ago, and shaped the crown. I had seen an old Audie Murphy western last weekend, and kinda liked the hat he was wearing, so decided to try and copy it. Didn't come out quite like his, but I thought it came out okay. Unfortunately, just doing this made the sweatband flake even more, so I will be getting a new sweat as soon as possible, and certainly before I start wearing it.
AUDIE1.JPG AUDIE2.JPG AUDIE3.JPG

Robieman

A-List Customer
Interesting crease, Rob and great execution of it. I love the 3X's of this are but unfortunately for them and others in the price range, the sweats don't always hold up. I've had to replac several.
Thank you sir. I wasn't sure how the crease would look, and not real sure I will keep it that way. But I liked the one Audie had, and in looking at some of the old catalogs, I saw this similar crease on hats of that time frame. It seemed appropriate. Once I get a new sweat, and start wearing it, I'll see how it goes then. The felt is somewhat faded, I guess from the age, and probably having been worn a lot. It is the oldest hat I have but feels really soft to the touch. I got it to wear, and wear it I will.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday morning, I cleaned up this 3X I posted a few days ago, and shaped the crown. I had seen an old Audie Murphy western last weekend, and kinda liked the hat he was wearing, so decided to try and copy it. Didn't come out quite like his, but I thought it came out okay. Unfortunately, just doing this made the sweatband flake even more, so I will be getting a new sweat as soon as possible, and certainly before I start wearing it.
View attachment 175703 View attachment 175704 View attachment 175705
I like it. Looks great. I have also had to replace a SB in a 3X. Seems to be rather common.

Robieman

A-List Customer
I like it. Looks great. I have also had to replace a SB in a 3X. Seems to be rather common.
Thank you sir. I took it this morning and dropped off at a local hatter here in Nashville, to get the new sweat. She said she thought she might need to remove the ribbon and the liner. On the one hand, I hate to cut the liner stitching, on the other hand, I will have the excuse to go ahead and clean it! Which it needs. I intend on wearing it, and don't figure I will ever get rich re-selling it, so I figure, no problem. But I am keeping the original sweat. The hat is somewhat faded, but it is one of the softest feeling hats I have. Go figure. Still not sure if I'll keep the crease, but figure I'll wear it a while and see. I have nothing else quite like that, so would be a different look. Once I get it back, I'll post pics wearing it and see what y'all think.

I'll post pics wearing it and see what y'all think.
When you do.....PLEASE post under the creases threads and the What Hat are You Wearing today thread.......This thread is for posting differant Stetson 3X hats....and YOURs looks great here BUT REALLY now needs to be posted in the other treads rather than being continuously posted here.......
I look forward to seeing it again in the other threads.....;)
M:D

Last edited:

Robieman

A-List Customer
When you do.....PLEASE post under the creases threads and the What Hat are You Wearing today thread.......This thread is for posting differant Stetson 3X hats....and YOURs looks great here BUT REALLY now needs to be posted in the other treads rather than being continuously posted here.......
I look forward to seeing it again in the other threads.....;)
M:D
Will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sometimes you take a chance on a bad presentation and blurry photos on eBay and it pays off.

A full six-inch crown and a very generous three-inch brim. Nice wide brim binding on top, thinner on the bottom with the stitching showing off on the underside. Stars and stars; red size tag w/o block designation, orange re-order tag, and what may be the date stamped on the sweatband. Store marking - Lundstroms. No initials, etc. A 3X, of course.

We shall call this one the Huggy Bear.

When I received it, it had "hat hair."

Picture1.jpg

Cleaned up real nice, though. Great felt. Thick and of course, pettable.

Picture10.jpg
Picture11.jpg
Picture10.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture6.jpg
Picture7.jpg

Maybe a date?

Picture9.jpg

Sometimes you take a chance on a bad presentation and blurry photos on eBay and it pays off.

A full six-inch crown and a very generous three-inch brim. Nice wide brim binding on top, thinner on the bottom with the stitching showing off on the underside. Stars and stars; red size tag w/o block designation, orange re-order tag, and what may be the date stamped on the sweatband. Store marking - Lundstroms. No initials, etc. A 3X, of course.

We shall call this one the Huggy Bear.

When I received it, it had "hat hair."

View attachment 207119

Cleaned up real nice, though. Great felt. Thick and of course, pettable.

View attachment 207129 View attachment 207128 View attachment 207127 View attachment 207122 View attachment 207123 View attachment 207124 View attachment 207125

Maybe a date?

View attachment 207126

Oh yeah! Nice find. I love the long hair finishes...my wife, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk