Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desert hiking shoes

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
What's a good, classic-styled, functional, desert hiking shoe?

I’m supposed to go hiking in the Utah desert in less than a month, and I’d like some good trail shoes without a high-tech look. I’ve been thinking about finding some crepe-soled, suede chukka boots and fitting them with flat laces and decent insoles, but I’m definitely open to suggestions. Vasque Sundowners were recommended in another thread, although they look a bit warm for the desert to me.

This will not be heavy-duty hiking, just walking groomed trails, but I don’t want my knee and back to ache at the end of the day.

BTW, I will be wearing shorts - there’s no talking me out of it.

-Dave

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's déjà vu all over again...........;)

The Vasque Sundowner Classic is a great all-around mid-weight boot with classic styling. I would suggest wearing them a half dozen or so times before your hike as they require just a touch of break in time. IMO desert boots would be a disaster.

vasqu109243_29227_jb.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What's the objection to brothel creepers?
I don't know about brothel creepers but desert/chukka boots with crepe soles just don't offer enough support in the uppers and the soles are not sturdy enough, which leads to foot fatigue. I would rather err on the side of having too much boot than not enough.

How do the Sundowners breathe?
They run warm in summer but no more than most other leather boots. If you're looking for super breathability then go high-tech. The Sundowner is a year-round, all-round classic stlyed boot at a decent price. I've been wearing them summer and winter in Colorado for years.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I've worn Red Wing work boots this summer and I can still walk and all. The support would be good while hiking. The pair I purchased are all leather with a Vibram sole, and no Goretex or other lining. If you want to go vintage and aren't worried about your feet, then get the brothel creepers or US Army Roughouts. The Roughouts don't have much support in my opinion, they're a lot software boot. I have NO experience with the brothel creepers.

Later

Last edited:

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
I do not like Goretex for anything warm, having found that the concept of a breathable membrane would be good only if your feet sweated vapour, not liquid sweat. Goretex is good in the wet but anywhere else I favour my Meindl Borneo over any other. Not cheap, but mine are 4 years old and still look fantastic. And they are immensely comfortable on any terrain.

Downside is weight.

If you choose to go "vintage", make sure you break them in over a good week or 3, every day up to a whole day long, walking as much as possible before the hike.

If you can get your hands on some mercurochrome (merbromin) you can use it preventively on friction points. Over several days it "tans" your skin and prevents ulcerations and blisters.

smlemk1

New in Town
You might look into the Palladium boots from another thread. They are originally French Army jungle boots, but they are light and breathable with aggressive soles. Not a lot of support, but decent cushion. Another option is to look at classic style boots like Danner Mountain Lights, with canvas/cordura side panels, and get them without goretex. Or get some actual US Army jungle boots. Viet Nam black leather and green nylon would be easy to find, but brown and canvas WWII models exist.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I got back from Utah at Midnight on Monday. Paralyzed by indecision, I bought no shoes at all and wore my brown suede/russet leather Bass saddle shoes (I use them like most people use tennis shoes); switching to slip-on boat shoes when I was in the hotel. The saddle shoes acquitted themselves well for the not-too-strenuous outdoorsmanship in which my wife was able to undertake. I still need to clean off some of the mud residue from prehistoric lake Bonneville.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo