Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detachable bibs and cuffs

Boswell

New in Town
I have found a few stores on the internet that sell detachable collars (which I now prefer to regular collars), but I know that men also used to wear detachable bibs and detachable cuffs as well. I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Where would you get something like this?

Boswell

Last edited:

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry, but I think that you can obtain these only by some bespoke shirt makers, or maybe vintage. I know that detachable collars are superb, but dickeys were made for poor waiters/entertainers, certainly not for well dressed gentlemen. As Peter Marshall from Black Tie Guide said, they were an equivalent of pre-tied bowtie. Detachable cuffs are better, but they weren't as popular as collars. For me, detachable collars are enough.

Best regards, Dr

Last edited:

Boswell

New in Town
I have found a few stores on the internet that sell detachable collars (which I now prefer to regular collars), but I know that men also used to wear detachable bibs and detachable cuffs as well. I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Where would you get something like this?

Boswell

Thank you, but by detachable bib I do not mean a dickey. I refer to one of these:

bibf.jpg

In this photo, the bib is attached:

579280.jpg

It is an entirely separate item from the detachable collar.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
TBH, these detachable bibs (whatever you like to call them) are not worth the hassle. For one, we use detachable collars because it is easier to starch them separately and they are the parts that wear out more quickly (and we could change the style at whim making it very flexible). As for the bib (and cuffs) these not only create unnecessary bother to put on if detachable but also more expensive to clean and starch: why would you want to have three separate items to clean when you could have just sent the shirt off all in one? If the cuff wears, it could simply be taken off and a new one sewn on (getting someone to make another detachable cuff would just be too much money). Also, when wearing the bib, it will more likely to bellow out as the edge of it is only attached to a limited amount of shirt, not enough to hold it flat against the body. This is the reason why they are not made anymore these days.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Any old school shirtmaker (T&A, Charvet, etc..) will be able to meet your needs, albeit for a premium price. But I would take Charlie's thoughts into consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart