Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detectives wear hats in Atlanta

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It is good that in Atlanta a fedora is a symbol of pride. Hat wearers are probably not laughed at there, as they are unfortunately sometimes in England (though compliments do come as well).

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
avedwards said:
It is good that in Atlanta a fedora is a symbol of pride. Hat wearers are probably not laughed at there, as they are unfortunately sometimes in England (though compliments do come as well).

Considering the weather, you would think it would be the other way around.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Lone_Ranger said:
Considering the weather, you would think it would be the other way around.

It would make sense. It rains so often. But most modern people here are too stupid to wear either a hat, a long overcoat or an umbrella in the rain. People who do use these are often laughed at, although the hat wearers will laugh longer when they stay dry while the idiots get wet.lol

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
avedwards said:
It rains so often.

It most certainly does not!

I walk 10,000 steps per day, including back and forth to work.
I hardly ever get (very) wet. Humid, yes.

Raindrops? Oh yes. Often. Drizzle. Usually nothing dramatic.

Showers? Of course. The worst are the summer variety: a sheet of rain!

Indeed, there might be, per year, twenty or so occurances of "disabling rain", with near uninterrupted rain and wind (like in the old mac and hat movies). That's when I take the subway... All the rest is perfectly bearable. (you might retort, "for a bear" lol )

BTW, I live in what used to be called "Flanders fields" (not the Llano Estacado or the Gobi desert).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
When I said "it rains so often" I was referring to the Midlands in England where I live. Here it does rain quite often. Last summer was not even like summer - no more than three weeks sun in spring, rain the rest of the time.

Sorry if this is :eek:fftopic: from Atlanta detectives.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Wolfwood said:
I found this article linked on another site and could not find a discussion about it with a quick search (forum search algorithms are usually really bad, so I would not be surprised if there actually was one, though).

In any case, there's an interesting article about detectives honoring their traditions and fedoras in Atlanta:

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/stories/2008/07/25/fedora_atlanta_police.html

Thanks for the post. That WAS interesting, especially about how they command respect, and how shoppers in that hat shop are surprised how much they look like their fathers and grandfathers when they try one on. Too bad the article didn't have some decent pictures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925