Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dhobi wallah

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
They were made in Manchester and were very common in the UK in the 60s and 70s. The range was mainly woolen overcoats and 'car coats' - Melton and (not very authentic) tweed for instance. They had something of a 'Mod' connotation.

The firm that made them was owned at one time by the Miller family and was linked to the Barracuta brand that made (still makes) the typical Harrington jacket. Dhobi items are common in charity (goodwill) shops in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Alan

dr greg

One Too Many
darting around

Thanks for that, it does look a bit 'mod', so I'll use that as a selling point on my stall, well-made jacket though, and for all you damn yankees, "the old dart" is an expression used by us colonials to refer to England. Its origins are obscure, a corruption of 'old dirt' or possibly the arrow symbol on the convict clothes we used to all wear out here while herding kangaroos down the main street.;)

Micawber

A-List Customer
dr greg said:
Thanks for that, it does look a bit 'mod', so I'll use that as a selling point on my stall, well-made jacket though, and for all you damn yankees, "the old dart" is an expression used by us colonials to refer to England. Its origins are obscure, a corruption of 'old dirt' or possibly the arrow symbol on the convict clothes we used to all wear out here while herding kangaroos down the main street.;)

They were reasonable quality garments which IIRC had some classic designs in their range.

Steve ....I've been called many things but never a 'dart' before ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy