Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Clothing Buco J100 review.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Just went through the checkout system on the RMC website. Only shipping to Japan. Sorry!

Foreigners pay the tough luck price.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Adee, if you want to pay the Japanese price you're going to have to do some research and find a website willing to ship it to the United States.

Clearly going directly through RMC can't work since they have overseas business partners in New York, London, etc.

If 2k was the de facto price I would've acknowledged that in my argument. All I want to do is keep it real and prevent misinformation being spread.

But if someone decides they still want a DD, more power to them! I admire the pioneering spirit. Personally I'm a fan of sticking to the established, no need for surprises.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Adee, if you want to pay the Japanese price you're going to have to do some research and find a website willing to ship it to the United States.

Clearly going directly through RMC can't work since they have overseas business partners in New York, London, etc.

If 2k was the de facto price I would've acknowledged that in my argument. All I want to do is keep it real and prevent misinformation being spread.

But if someone decides they still want a DD, more power to them! I admire the pioneering spirit. Personally I'm a fan of sticking to the established, no need for surprises.
I'm not touting one over the other. But RMC has no control over foreign exchange rates, same for DD. We pay what whatever international money poobah's dictate in our own currency. I notice on Ratuken used RMC Buco's are quite pricy also. Persistent shoppers may get a bargain with effort. If you know of a willing Japanese shipper please let the members know.

Last edited:

A-1

One Too Many
From a European customer:
I pay about 1000€ for DD J-21
RMC from a store in EU is about 2100€ for the „same“ jacket.
To me that makes a huge difference. I just hope DD gets my measurements right.

jon11

A-List Customer
yep you have the power of return if you don't like the RMC so no such thing as you bought it its yours. That for me makes the difference.

A-1

One Too Many
yep you have the power of return if you don't like the RMC so no such thing as you bought it its yours. That for me makes the difference.
That’s true!
However, you can also return your jacket from any maker if he/she didn’t make it according to your measurements. I mean if he/she did and it just doesn’t fit you, then you’ve got a problem. But when it’s not made to your measurements, you’ve got the right to return.

Benj

One of the Regulars
A-1, yeah, that is a huge difference. If I lived in Europe and had to buy from a European stockist, I wouldn't own a leather jacket. Not worth the money.

Adee, it's completely true that were relying on currency exchange for the price. It's part of my argument though for why the RMC is currently a better buy.

Really were comparing a $1600 jacket to a $950 jacket, except currency fluctuation makes the former $1300.

If you're hellebent on buying through a euro stockist then yes the delta in price gets a lot larger. But then my argument is don't buy any leather jacket because it's too expensive. I realize that even if you get it at "cheap" Japanese retail, you still have to pay customs, so this is an ideal scenario.

And if currency fluctuations change and the buco is at 2011/2012 levels (1700/1800) my recommendation gets fuzzy.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
In clothing, it's pretty much always worth paying the extra money for such clearly discernible superiority. Obviously, buy whatever you want, but there is no question of the quality difference. I've owned both. It's not even CLOSE.

CBI

One Too Many
its amazing how much back an forth there has been on this thread! pro DD vs. cons DD. I own a DD A-2 - superb and world buy again! Have owned RM leather, would not buy again. RM military, not as authentic, RM civi, nice but more attractive options from other makers. back to ............. whoever?

AdeeC

Practically Family
RMC products look so perfect almost to the point of blandness. I admire their commitment to quality and perfection but not at for what it will cost me. And probably not what I really desire. Edging too far into high fashion aesthetics. Besides, a natural scar and grain variation on a leather jacket is a thing of beauty to me.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RMC products look so perfect almost to the point of blandness.

Too perfect? We all should be burdened with this shortcoming.

I feel that DD doesn't display the consistency to justify the prices he charges currently.

I have immense respect for DD. He is pursuing his passion. He is learning a craft. However, there is a tremendous learning curve associated with the art of creating bespoke leather jackets. By his own admission, DD has not made very many jackets. In comparison to other leather artisans, DD is a relative newcomer and more of a student/apprentice as opposed to an experienced craftsman. Given his passion, I suspect he will improve over time and the consistency of his jackets will reflect his improved skill set.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Dave has reduced his prices, right now, I think it's really good buying.
I think his jackets are actually worth what he charges for sure. It's just whether you need the best or prefer a good deal. Either option is completely legitimate.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In clothing, it's pretty much always worth paying the extra money for such clearly discernible superiority. Obviously, buy whatever you want, but there is no question of the quality difference. I've owned both. It's not even CLOSE.

A digression. That capitalized "close" made me laugh. In leather jackets I've owned premium brands and less celebrated jackets - the difference has never been overly significant enough to me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80