Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Clothing Buco J100 review.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That is great to hear, Carlos! I do love my DD jacket, if not for no other reason than it fits me so perfectly and the leather is so great! Compared to the RMC jacket I handled myself, the RMC was slightly better stitched, but not to any degree that it was much better. I would still love to have one of their products as well because I love the unique tan color they have sometimes for their J-100. Still, my DD fits me MUCH better!

I also agree with Bunyip that working with a 1 man operation is more appealing.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another very happy DD customer here, I love my Shinki Buco and wouldn't swap it for anything either.

VERY interesting to hear about the disappointing quality of the RM Buco!

Thanks for sharing.

CBI

One Too Many
I to am a very satisfied DD customer - killer A-2. God, I need time to post pics!!!

CBI

One Too Many
One more thing in re "vintage" inaccurate stitching. Makers trying to duplicate that style don't just randomly make minor errors. I know John at Good Wear has handled hundreds of original jackets and knows where imperfections were common-ish and how much stitching was commonly off. One needs someone with that kind of knowledge to pull this off. Its like pre-distress denim. Practically no one creates the right fades, even the high end denim guys.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
One more thing in re "vintage" inaccurate stitching. Makers trying to duplicate that style don't just randomly make minor errors. I know John at Good Wear has handled hundreds of original jackets and knows where imperfections were common-ish and how much stitching was commonly off. One needs someone with that kind of knowledge to pull this off. Its like pre-distress denim. Practically no one creates the right fades, even the high end denim guys.

This is why I buy raw denim and plan to beat my DD leather jacket up myself:D

Roma

A-List Customer
Now, fit pics:

L1001100_zpslcw51u82.jpg

L1001102_zps4p6gbaji.jpg

L1001103_zpsaydlgm6k.jpg

L1001104_zpsblzxe7w0.jpg

L1001105_zpsmiz5rh5g.jpg

All in all i am happy with this jacket.
Yes, having to pay customs twice, and shipping of the first jacket back to the USA cost me almost £100 on top of the price, but in the end it all turned out ok.
Would i recommend it? Tough call... If you are in the USA and are more interested in character than perfection, then yes, it is a great deal.
If you like things to be perfect and have to risk paying customs and shipping for a jacket that doesn't fit, then no, i would say don't do it.
Hi Carlos, that one is 27" back length? Looks like that. Sure, it's great. And looks a bit differently than my Cafe racer since it's 1" longer and we're equally tall. Why did you go for 27 here?

Roma

A-List Customer
Now, fit pics:

L1001100_zpslcw51u82.jpg

L1001102_zps4p6gbaji.jpg

L1001103_zpsaydlgm6k.jpg

L1001104_zpsblzxe7w0.jpg

L1001105_zpsmiz5rh5g.jpg

All in all i am happy with this jacket.
Yes, having to pay customs twice, and shipping of the first jacket back to the USA cost me almost £100 on top of the price, but in the end it all turned out ok.
Would i recommend it? Tough call... If you are in the USA and are more interested in character than perfection, then yes, it is a great deal.
If you like things to be perfect and have to risk paying customs and shipping for a jacket that doesn't fit, then no, i would say don't do it.
Oh, I see, you asked for 26 but Dave did 27. But realy looks good.

A-1

One Too Many
Can anybody start a thread with pics and especially fit pics of DD jackets? Everything I’ve seen so far looks really beautiful!
Perhaps not every stitch and detail, but the leathers and the fits were great! This is what matters to me mostly. I simply wanna see them in one place to drool over them since I’ve just ordered a J-21 in his tea-based black on brown steer hide. Six weeks can be loooooooooong!

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Couple comments here from someone who does make jackets. First, STUNNING hide! Grain & color are excellent. those pocket & sleeve zips are very difficult to match up the way things are constructed. you can sew 10 & may get 2-3 that will match up. you have leather sewn to cloth, then folded over & sewn to another piece of leather thats folded, so things tend to shift/move while running thru a machine. as far as zipper tape color goes, sometimes its very frustrating to source different size/length zippers for main body, sleeves & pockets that match. seems that you might find two that match, but the third will only be available in a different color tape etc. I'm sure the "big boys" that have the connections/funding to influence manufacturers to make them don't have such problems, but the "little guys" like me have to use what can be found, so sometimes have to dye something to make it work. I've found out very early in the game that sourcing materials is the most difficult & time consuming aspect of this business.

jon11

A-List Customer
great jacket, however personal taste is that Shinki leather has that plastic paint/heavy oil finish which for me anyway that cheapens the look.

CBI

One Too Many
its all according to taste............I have owned 10 jackets with Shinki (still own 7 or 8) and have never thought the look being plastic, quite the opposite however it can look that way in photos. there are also different finishes from them. A super high end hide for sure!!!!!

devilish

A-List Customer
I've written this before in other threads but here goes again. Shinki is finished in many different ways. The finish is specified by the customer. RMC use Shinki and they spec that it is roller finished to be very smooth. Whereas John at GW specs it to be virtually unfinished. Thus it has much more character.
I wore my GW J-100 into the RMC store about a month ago and made a point of checking out their version. I'll take mine 100 times out of 100. No comparison at all, the RMC wasn't in the same league. Not in fit, finish or leather. I like a ton of stuff they make but their leather jackets are overrated and overpriced.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Eh, I don't really think they're overpriced... My buco was cheaper than a GW and I got it in about a week, not 2 years. Lol. And I agree sometimes the leather can be lackluster but it depends on the particular jacket you're getting. And the leather gets a whole lot better with wear. What looks smooth and boring at first doesn't at all after you wear it.

Personally, I think the RMC buco has a more elegant look than your GW. I couldn't tell you why, but I feel like the GW has a one-man made vibe, whereas the RMC feels like it was made by an actual company. I like the latter feeling better.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've written this before in other threads but here goes again. Shinki is finished in many different ways. The finish is specified by the customer. RMC use Shinki and they spec that it is roller finished to be very smooth. Whereas John at GW specs it to be virtually unfinished. Thus it has much more character.
I wore my GW J-100 into the RMC store about a month ago and made a point of checking out their version. I'll take mine 100 times out of 100. No comparison at all, the RMC wasn't in the same league. Not in fit, finish or leather. I like a ton of stuff they make but their leather jackets are overrated and overpriced.

Your palpable bias in favor or JC/GW and against RMC is evidenced by your repeated posting of the foregoing sentiment. My experience is EXACTLY the opposite. In contrast to you (you only own GW Shinki), I own both GW and RMC Shinki. My RMC Shinki is considerably less shiny and more natural looking than my GW Shinki. Likewise, my RMC jackets are indisputably finished better and more precise than my GW jacket. To be clear, I love my GW Shinki jacket -- it is one of my favorites. However, there is no denying that my RMC jackets are finished better. I welcome anyone in my area to make a side by side comparison.

Your comment about the manner in which JC orders his Shinki hides is also inconsistent with what JC said to me. JC expressly told me that he has no ability to specify the nature or finish of the hides he receives from Shinki, he has received a broad spectrum and variety of hides from Shinki, and he never knows what will be in each delivery. Moreover, JC actively modifies his Shinki hides. Lastly, it is worth noting that RMC has a very, very strong relationship with Shinki -- more than one insider has told me that RMC has the first selection of Shinki hides -- in other words, they receive the cream of the crop of Shinki hides. Fortunately, in my experience, all Shinki hides are outstanding, so even the hides passed on by RMC that thereafter are sold to JC/GW, Freewheelers, Himel, Rainbow Country, Flat Head and DD are fantastic.

We get it -- you have unwavering loyalty to GW. Given GW's stellar jackets, no one can blame you. However, when you make demonstrably false statements like "RMC isn't in the same league" as GW, you manifest a clear lack of objectivity. I doubt JC would agree (he previously sold RMC jackets). I know Himel disagrees (Himel regularly exalts RMC leather jackets -- he also exalts JC). I know that other insiders also disagree.

My offer stands: anyone in my area is free to drop me a line and make a side-by-side comparison. No one will conclude that "RMC isn't in the same league" as GW. To the contrary, both GW and RMC jackets are outstanding.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Can anybody start a thread with pics and especially fit pics of DD jackets? Everything I’ve seen so far looks really beautiful!
Perhaps not every stitch and detail, but the leathers and the fits were great! This is what matters to me mostly. I simply wanna see them in one place to drool over them since I’ve just ordered a J-21 in his tea-based black on brown steer hide. Six weeks can be loooooooooong!

Please do let us know how it turns out! I hope you have more luck that me and you get a good first first try!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Your comment about the manner in which JC orders his Shinki hides is also inconsistent with what JC said to me. JC expressly told me that he has no ability to specify the nature or finish of the hides he receives from Shinki, he has received a broad spectrum and variety of hides from Shinki, and he never knows what will be in each delivery. Moreover, JC actively modifies his Shinki hides.

This is also what Diamond Dave told me, he said Shinki hides arrive in all different states and styles and that he usually gives them a topcoat to get them how he wants them.

Now regarding the RMC finish, the one i handled in the RMC shop in London was extremely underwhelming, stitching was really not great, and the sleeve lining was hanging out of the sleeve because it was badly attached to the sleeve.
I am not saying that this is normal of RMC, but it proves that they aren't immune to the odd screw up.
When you hear people talk about RMC it's almost as if their jackets are made by elves and pixies, i didn't find this to be true...

Benj

One of the Regulars
I can pull out the lining so it protrudes a couple inches out the sleeve. I don't do that, or feel it in the arm, and it doesn't show naturally, so it doesn't particularly bother me.

But I agree RMC jackets are not perfect and I think that SF may have been exceedingly lucky in his purchases.

SF, when we meetup... I need to fondle all your jackets out of your trunk, hahhha!

Also of note, another insider also told me that Flat Head and RMC have first pic of shinki because they have had the longest relationships with the tannery. Interestingly, the owners of FH and RMC are actually close and longtime friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass