Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Clothing Buco J100 review.

dan_t

Practically Family
That's a stunning jacket & it deserves its own thread before this one is completely overwhelmed with comments taking us yet again off track!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Back on track.....

Evenness of stitching either side of the main zip.

View attachment 34496

Yeah, i noticed that to a while back, once again, it's so obvious, but as he says on his website:

"good enough for government work!"

And really nice roo jacket, i wonder how that hide will break in? If it's anything like the roo motorcycle gear i own it will mold to you in no time and feel super soft and nice!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think it's just the left side slightly slouching into the main zip, need to be pulled out straight for better photoshoot...

IXL

One Too Many
IMHO, the bench mark for acceptable quality is not whether someone else will notice the defect(s). Very, very few people notice any of the esoteric details that occupy the majority of our discussions. We see, and care about, details that very few ever consider. Therefore, the mere fact that a group of pub patrons do not notice poor quality construction does not excuse the manufacturing lapses; likewise, the fact that a group of pub patrons do not exalt a superlative leather jacket does not make it any less superlative.

We do not wear the leather jackets discussed on this forum, which are generally understated replicas of classic vintage jackets, in order to be noticed and complimented. To the contrary, we wear these leather jackets because, regardless of anyone else, WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE WEARING . . . we know the quality and craftsmanship . . . we know the details . . . and we derive pleasure from our knowledge of what we are wearing, regardless of whether anyone else ever notices (and most never do). Even if a group of pub patrons never notice the poor stitching on a leather jacket, if the owner is an enthusiast, he/she notices and cares even if no one else notices or cares.

At the end of the day, the only relevant litmus test is whether the owner enjoys wearing the jacket and is comfortable with the quality in relationship to the price paid. If the owner is pleased with the end result, the uninformed opinions of random pub patrons, or the general public, are irrelevant.

And yet, there are even members of this forum who have repeatedly stated that as much as they would like to own "X" or "Y" jacket, it is the fear of being seen as a wannabe in...the uninformed opinions of random pub patrons, as well as the general public, that keeps them from owning, or at least wearing out amongst the general public, some classic garment. We've all seen this from some of the folks who like the Indy jackets and fedoras paired together, or the people who fear being mocked in the pub,church, zoo, grocery, dentist's office, or local park by those random strangers who will view the wearing of a "Top Gun" jacket unfavorably.
We see those who state having a great sense of satisfaction whit the procurement of a jacket, and then begin to wonder if the sleeves are 1/4 inch too long/short, or the shoulders make them look fat, etc. Regardless of how much one might like to think that no one cares what others think, that is usually not entirely the case. Images are posted up and opinions are invited as to how others view the fit. Granted, most here view ourselves as more qualified than most in the ability to assess fit.

As for the stitching itself on this particular jacket, no, it doesn't appear to be as neat and even as the superlative one it is compared to. That in itself does not relegate said jacket to "defective" status. And just because a customer feels that something isn't as good as it should be doesn't make that customer's view necessarily reasonable. A friend of mine purchased a new Mercedes and then began finding fault with it, because at the price he paid it should have been perfect. How perfect? The most perfect, and then more "perfecter" than that. One knob was darker than another. One panel didn't sparkle as much as its opposite. An instrument light wasn't as bright as another. Finally, the dealership had had enough of this when he was there for yet another "defect." While he was in the waiting room, they drafted a check for the full amount he had paid, offered him a complete refund and invited him to never darken their door again. He was indeed the customer, but just because he paid money for something did not for a minute make him the proper judge of the product.

Some features truly are defects, but others, just because they don't measure up to ones hopes and expectations, are not correctly viewed as being defective.

I meant no offense to anyone with my post above, but was merely (poorly?) trying to illustrate my view that this jacket would be one to wear with pride, as (again, in my subjective view) the important elements all looked to be very good, and one can obsess over anything: examined closely enough, spots will be found on even the sun itself. The elements of the stitching, to me, didn't look bad, just not as good as the other one.

And yes, everyone does get to decide just what will be their own definition of quality and what they are willing to accept. This is why my friend no longer owns a Mercedes, but he drools over every one that he sees. All in all, a pity, really, as he is without the vehicle of his dreams solely because his idea of acceptable quality wasn't grounded in reality.

Now, the stouts are on me!!

technovox

One Too Many
I think the chances of any of us running into each other in the wild are pretty slim :)

And the chances of any of us spotting a DD, Goodwear, Himel, or even an Aero in the wild are even more slim...at least in this neck of the woods. In all these years, I still haven't seen one, when out and about.

I run into guys here all the time at swap meets and other events that are deep into the jacket/fear scene. My wife got to the point where every visit to one ended up a lengthy discussion on my jacket or the other guy's jacket. I'm sure that's because of where I live and go but it's kinda fun. For me ;)

Yet some of us still feel that it is not so unreasonable or outrageously perfectionist to expect stitching and lining to better match such an exquisite hide and obvious effort taken insuring a much better remake fit. Wonky stitching with oddly folded lining including poorly dyed zipper tape only leads some to wonder why these needless inconsistencies even showed up on the final finished product. It seems more telling about the maker's commitment rather than the customer's expectations, no matter how skewed the few might wish to direct blame...IMHO.
HD

GregO

One of the Regulars
I have a J100 from Dave, and I discussed my journey with Dave (it involved a full remake) with other folks here previously. That's a different story, and not worth repeating here.

But I have to say this about the jacket in the OP -- holy ****. The character of the leather -- and just out of the box -- is simply breathtaking. I have purchased multiple jackets from Aero through Carrie & Wade at Insurrection/Thurston and have always ordered "grainiest hide possible", and none of it approaches the character of the hide in that jacket. I've ordered the Vicenza, CXL steer, FQHH, etc., and its not even close. I had a ELMC Californian, and, again, the hide wasn't nearly as beautiful. Only the really great vintage stuff with 30 or 40 years of wear comes close.

My two cents -- even though the jacket has flaws that perhaps shouldn't be there at the price point, because the fit is spot-on, and because the leather is insanely beautiful, I would count myself as lucky to own that jacket. If the fit or the leather wasn't as good as it is, I might have a different opinion. But as is, count your blessings brother!

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Great jacket Carlos! I was wondering if I might ask how you feel the Shinki leather compares with the leather used on your ELMC Californian?

Thanks, they are both great leathers and both have a lot of character even when new.
The ELMC is waxier, smoother, thinner, is pretty much matte, but still has a lot of grain when compared to your average leather it also breaks in in no time at all, to the point where i wonder why they bother with the whole "time Worn" thing.
The one thing i don't like about it, it is rubbish in the rain. no weather resistance at all.

The Shinki is somewhat thicker, almost like FQHH but super soft. It breaks in even faster than the ELMC, it literally molds to you like no other leather.
It has pretty much all the grain in the world, and has a lot of character. It is also super super black, i only own black leather jackets and honestly, when i look at all of them side by side, only the shinky looks black.
Next to it all the other ones look greyish or brownish...
There is one thing i don't like about it, the shine, it is very very shiny, i am sure it will die down with time, but right now it is to shiny for me.

Both leathers are great, they are probably my two favourite leathers yet.

Last edited:

GregO

One of the Regulars
There is one thing i don't like about it, the shine, it is very very shiny, i am sure it will die down with time, but right now it is to shiny for me.

Not sure I would do this on that jacket, but I have done this to one Aero I had that was super shiny out of the box --- use a Magic Eraser VERY lightly on the jacket. Kills the shine. Then a little pecards.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Not sure I would do this on that jacket, but I have done this to one Aero I had that was super shiny out of the box --- use a Magic Eraser VERY lightly on the jacket. Kills the shine. Then a little pecards.

Funny you should say that, i just scrubbed the whole jacket with Lexol leather cleaner and one of these non scratch sponges (the ones for non stick pans).
I think it has somewhat toned down the shine. It's still the shiniest of my jackets, but now i don't get blinded by light reflecting on it anymore.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, they are both great leathers and both have a lot of character even when new.
The ELMC is waxier, smoother, thinner, is pretty much matte, but still has a lot of grain when compared to your average leather it also breaks in in no time at all, to the point where i wonder why they bother with the whole "time Worn" thing.
The one thing i don't like about it, it is rubbish in the rain. no weather resistance at all.

The Shinki is somewhat thicker, almost like FQHH but super soft. It breaks in even faster than the ELMC, it literally molds to you like no other leather.
It has pretty much all the grain in the world, and has a lot of character. It is also super super black, i only own black leather jackets and honestly, when i look at all of them side by side, only the shinky looks black.
Next to it all the other ones look greyish or brownish...

Both leathers are great, they are probably my two favourite leathers yet.

My experience is that shiniki is not a thick heavy hide but it is thicker than Eastman's leather. It is medium weight. I also would not say it is super soft especially compared to some of the italian hide and those oil pull hide.

As to it being super black, RM Buco has two options for their J-100 a black on black and the other black on brown. I wonder if Dave uses the black on black that RM uses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy