Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamonds aren't (always) a girl's best friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
I couldn't imagine what everyone is thinking reading that title, but it struck me a few months ago and floated back in my head while I surmised going down to Simmon's & Clark Jewelers in downtown Detroit tomorrow. Still in the same location and gorgeous Art Deco building since 1925:

*click*

Anyhoo, I'm having an admittedly cheap-ish chain (it goes with the shirt so I need it fixed) fixed and perhaps, a--decidedly not cheap--ring resized. What occurred to me however, was that I have developed an extreme dislike of diamonds.

I think that some of it has to do with the fact that I believe I'm far too young. There's also the influx of "tragically hip" youth sporting them en masse. I won't even talk about the corny, tacky rubes having them inlaid (if that's the word) into "grillz" on their teeth. Health concerns aside, that is by far the nastiest thing I can think of, and, I believe, it's permanent. Yuck.

I've developed a taste that lends itself to brooches and pearls.

Does anyone else find that the abject availability of what used to be considered "exclusive" things has made them...less than disirable?

L_H

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lena_Horne said:
I couldn't imagine what everyone is thinking reading that title, but it struck me a few months ago and floated back in my head while I surmised going down to Simmon's & Clark Jewelers in downtown Detroit tomorrow. Still in the same location and gorgeous Art Deco building since 1925:

*click*

Anyhoo, I'm having an admittedly cheap-ish chain (it goes with the shirt so I need it fixed) fixed and perhaps, a--decidedly not cheap--ring resized. What occurred to me however, was that I have developed an extreme dislike of diamonds.

I think that some of it has to do with the fact that I believe I'm far too young. There's also the influx of "tragically hip" youth sporting them en masse. I won't even talk about the corny, tacky rubes having them inlaid (if that's the word) into "grillz" on their teeth. Health concerns aside, that is by far the nastiest thing I can think of, and, I believe, it's permanent. Yuck.

Does anyone else find that the abject availability of what used to be considered "exclusive" things has made them...less than disirable?

L_H
Right On, Inlay is a word, and that is the correct word for having a jewel encrusted in ones "grill". I knew my career as a dental hygienist would come in handy some day!

As for diamonds, I understand what you are saying. However, I'm a gal, and I still love them. I do have a deep appreciation for other jewels. I really love brooches and pretty hat pins. I love sapphire and ruby, and tanzanite too (soon to become a precious stone). But, and maybe this is because I'm older, I see some diamond rings or earrings and just see that they are really beautiful. I think that the most simple and elegant earrings to wear are diamond studs, in not a huge size, just big enough to give that twinkle that a diamond should have. No, I don't like the big guady jewels I've seen sported by many people. It does take away from the sentiment of a diamond. The fact that they have become so easily accessible does diminish their meaning. I have some vintage pieces of jewelery that I know I will treasure forever. So, I see what you're saying. But, I still love the sparkle that a diamond has. I just wish that they meant what they used to mean. They used to be a symbol of love. Now they are a symbol of money.

Tony in Tarzana

Pardon the intrusion, but I agree with Lena_Horne. Seriously, they're not rare unless you get to the Cullinens or the Hope Diamond. All they are is crystalline carbon, after all.

There are so many more interesting and beautiful gem stones out there.

birdiepie

New in Town
Diamonds are admittedly lovely... but once I learned of the years of greed and human tragedy that surrounds the diamond trade, the idea of purchasing one seems completely disgusting.

All that said- my fiance insisted on giving me a diamond engagement ring. However, he presented me with an antique (it's beautiful and I do love it!) which weighs a little less heavily on my conscience than a modern one.

These two sites shed a little light on the topic
http://www.fguide.org/Bulletin/conflictdiamonds.htm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/programs/transcripts/1209.html

maisie

Practically Family
Lena_Horne said:

L_H

I hate those things on people teeth, i think its just another, way over-the-top, way of showing that they have money! I think dimonds, if there are a few of them look great but some people just go way, way over bored and i think it looks awful!!:eek:
Personally, and i'm probably biased cause i like the 40's :D (and maybe cause i'm young had havn't gone into the dimond phase yet! lol!) , like more simple jewellery and brooches. Like bakelite or lucite items, i also like patriotic brooches like ones with 'V' on them or red, white and blue colour schemes!! But this is just me!!:D :rolleyes:

maisie

Practically Family
Ohh and sometimes this lucite and bakelite stuff goes for just as much as some jewels! lol! I've seen brooches on ebay for $500-900!!:eek: And not to mention what complete sets of unusual items goes for, like cherry related stuff![huh]
So what it comes down to in the end is i like what i like![huh] :D

magneto

Practically Family
Lena_Horne said:
What occurred to me however, was that I have developed an extreme dislike of diamonds.

I think that some of it has to do with the fact that I believe I'm far too young.
:eusa_clap What did Holly say in Breakfast at Tiffany's? "But it's tacky to wear diamonds before you're forty; and even that's risky. They only look right on the really old girls...Wrinkles and bones, white hair and diamonds."

I also have gotten "into" brooches and pearls...and for your second point, I give an unqualified "yes". Something getting mass appeal and overexposure is the attractiveness kiss of death to its former "exclusive" consumers. Look at what happened to the classic Burberry plaid pattern...

Rosie

One Too Many
I won't wear a real diamond, to much suffering involved. I can't do it. I do however have a great pair of "diamond" lever back earrings which I really like and I wear a "diamond" wedding set (a little something about committment to self I wear as a reminder). Most of my other jewels are pearls: earrings, strings, rings. I have a few silver pieces, a few brass pieces and I like pins and sweater guards a lot. I haven't really been into brooches in the past but that is changing as I get older.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The politics and the histroy of oppression as to how diamonds get on the fingers of women around the world will always keep me from wearing them. I have a pair of diamond earings my Great Aunt gave to my Mother, and my Mama to me before she died that I prolly will never wear.

Pearls are that way for me as well, but I love pearls. So as a compromise to that love, I wear fake plastic ones :)

Real precious stones and such never did wet my appitite, Id rather spend that cash on a work of art :)

LD

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
magneto said:
:eusa_clap What did Holly say in Breakfast at Tiffany's? "But it's tacky to wear diamonds before you're forty; and even that's risky. They only look right on the really old girls...Wrinkles and bones, white hair and diamonds."

That's exactly what I was thinking of as I typed that. I love that movie, but sadly, it's simply too late at night to turn it on. Darn.

tiff1.jpg

Also, it's been a long time since I've read anything about the diamond trade but I certainly remember enough that I feel guilt whenever I wear them. The only pair of diamond earrings I wear are these little ones that my grandfather gave me. Though, it's admittedly with trepidation.

L_H

Daisy Buchanan

Lady Day said:
The politics and the histroy of oppression as to how diamonds get on the fingers of women around the world will always keep me from wearing them. I have a pair of diamond earings my Great Aunt gave to my Mother, and my Mama to me before she died that I prolly will never wear.

Pearls are that way for me as well, but I love pearls. So as a compromise to that love, I wear fake plastic ones :)

Real precious stones and such never did wet my appitite, Id rather spend that cash on a work of art :)

LD

I understand where you are coming from in regards to the work of art. But, I have seen some custom made pieces of jewellery that are like works of art. I have 2 diamond brooches that are from around 1910, they belonged to my great grandmother, and they went through a lot to get to the USA. These brooches are incredibly beautiful, not only in their craftsmanship, but also in their sentiment. I wish I had more occasions to wear them.

I see where a lot of you are coming from. But, I like jewels that are done tastefully. A diamond engagement ring is a symbol of commitment. I know that now they mean different things to a lot of different people. But to me, a hopeless romantic, it still has that sweet sentiment. I don't like the big guady rings. But I do like the idea of a diamond engagement ring. I'm not gonna lie, I think they are pretty too. I have a saphire and diamond ring that I not only love because it is beautiful, but also because my parents had it made for me out of the diamonds from my moms wedding band. This is very sentimental to me, and I look forward to passing it down through generations. I know of the sufferage behind the making of such jewels. But, it also doesn't do any good to just have it sitting in a box on my night stand. I have them, I like them (done tastefully), I see all of your points, but I still see a lot of beauty in many different types of gem stones.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im not saying that diamond accented jewlery isnt art. Im sure you know that.

What I am saying is that the truth behind the rock, no matter how it ended up where it is, weather it be on a lovely brooch, or a huge ring, is far too loud for me to ignore and dismiss as, "Its old so its alright to . . ." philosophy. I feel the same about leather, and pearls, and fur (working on silk and wool). I wont to be a hypocrite to my beliefs simply because the object is from a different time.

LD

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
:eek:fftopic:
Lady Day said:
The politics and the histroy of oppression as to how diamonds get on the fingers of women around the world will always keep me from wearing them

How do you feel about oil.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Daisy,

I agree very much with your point of view. I have a three stone diamond engagement/wedding ring. I like the significance of the past/present/future with the stones. To be honest, I am not much for colored stones. Diamonds just say engagement/wedding to me. [huh]
I am very minimalistic in my jewelry though, so my ring is really the only thing that I wear on a day to day basis. (I actually don't even wear a wedding band, as I never found one that I liked to go with my engagement ring--they all seemed to take away from it--so I simply wear it as my wedding ring as well.) For dressier occasions I wear my pearl earrings and necklance that were a college graduation gift from my parents. I very rarely wear earrings, necklaces, bracelets or anything like that. Just not my style. I prefer just one or two classic pieces and that is what I wear pretty much everyday.

Jessica

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lady Day said:
I take public transit, ride a bike, or walk. I dont own a car.

LD

The world runs on oil. Ten of the top fourteen oil exporting countries are run by dictators. There's blood oil just as there are blood diamonds.;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Um . . . your point?

Nevermind, I dont wanna know.

I dont want to turn this into a political debate, or a tag of 'one evil over another' so Ill just end this now.

My choice in/on what I can actively choose to spend my money on, or not on is my own. Just like everyone else here. However much I can consciously contribute, I try to take note, and not be too suckered by the end result, but inquire about what took it to get there.

LD

Sorry for the derailment Lena, lets stick to topic now. :)

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I think diamonds are beautiful, and to me they are still desirable and exclusive as I have none. I also like emeralds, rubies, and amethysts, my birthstone. I have always wanted diamond earrings, big enough to sparkle.

Daisy Buchanan

VintageJess said:
Daisy,

I agree very much with your point of view. I have a three stone diamond engagement/wedding ring. I like the significance of the past/present/future with the stones. To be honest, I am not much for colored stones. Diamonds just say engagement/wedding to me. [huh]
I am very minimalistic in my jewelry though, so my ring is really the only thing that I wear on a day to day basis. (I actually don't even wear a wedding band, as I never found one that I liked to go with my engagement ring--they all seemed to take away from it--so I simply wear it as my wedding ring as well.) For dressier occasions I wear my pearl earrings and necklance that were a college graduation gift from my parents. I very rarely wear earrings, necklaces, bracelets or anything like that. Just not my style. I prefer just one or two classic pieces and that is what I wear pretty much everyday.

Jessica
Your engagement ring sounds beautiful. I like the idea of the three stone ring and what it stands for. As for a wedding band, my sister has the same problem. She has a three stone engagement ring, and her wedding band is a pretty thick band of diamonds. It looks tacky to wear them together. So, now she wears her engagement ring on her right hand, and her wedding band on the left. My mom does the same thing. The two of them really like their "bling", but know it is too much to wear all of that on one finger.

I am a minimalist in my jewel wearing too. I wear more pieces, but prefer more delicate looking ones. A pretty pair of diamond earrings and a pave diamond heart necklace that was my moms. Sometimes I'll wear a bracelet, but usually just a silver one. I have a tennis bracelet, but I never wear it, it's just a little too much "bling" (wow, I like that word) for me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Only one diamond here - a teeny tiny one in a vintage gold ring my ex gave me for Christmas about ten years ago. It came from a pawnshop, so who knows what its backstory is -- I just like it for its very delicate look, and also for what it symbolizes for me, a part of my life that was very important even thought it's now over. It's still the only ring I wear regularly.

Otherwise, I'm not the glitzy type -- most of my jewelry is very low-key stuff. I tend to wear simple pearl earrings, maybe gold hoops once in a while, and my grandmother's old gold Bulova watch. And that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner