Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

did the USN ever use this color green paint during WWII?

green papaya

One Too Many
I have a WWII era steel helmet that has a unusual green color paint, did the USN ever paint helmets this color of green during WWII? or is a it a post WWII color with a specific meaning? I know red was often used by Damage Control on a navy ship, Grey was for shipboard use, yellow for use on a aircraft carrier or flight deck, what about this type of brighter green colored paint?

Attachments

• 2014-11-02_213728.jpg
    2014-11-02_213728.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 117

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have a WWII era steel helmet that has a unusual green color paint, did the USN ever paint helmets this color of green during WWII? or is a it a post WWII color with a specific meaning? I know red was often used by Damage Control on a navy ship, Grey was for shipboard use, yellow for use on a aircraft carrier or flight deck, what about this type of brighter green colored paint?

Early PT boats used all kinds of theater made greens. They were usually referred to as Jungle Green, but were not the same as the late war factory paint.

green papaya

One Too Many
Ive heard from retired sailors that they repainted the helmets with whatever color was available in the supply locker, there was no standardization in what color was used, each ship used whatever color or marking the commander told them to use

and if the helmets were in poor condition, they tossed them overboard into the sea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff