Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did they really punch out their straw hats at the end of the season?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

I wonder, where did the term "jet black" come from?
I always assumed it referred to jet aircraft but since that coloring product predates modern jet aircraft my theory (assumption) is shot down.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
thunderw21 said:
I wonder, where did the term "jet black" come from?

"Jet" entered English in the 14th century, adopted from the Old French "jaiet." The French form was drawn ultimately from the Greek "gagates," meaning "stone from Gagae," a town in Asia Minor. The "stone" that gave its name to "jet" was actually a black form of lignite coal, very hard and glossy, commonly used for buttons and ornaments. "Jet" in English originally referred to the material "jet" itself, but by the mid-15th century "jet" or "jet black" was being used to denote the deep, glossy black of the coal.

dnjan

One Too Many
winston said:
These people worked hard in their hats. I doubt if they were fit for use come next spring/summer, and I doubt if they cost much to begin with.
their wives probably didn't want those filthy, sweaty things in the closet all winter ...

RBH

Bartender
This type of straw would have been worn by the rural man in the south, west, east and north .
I would be certain if finances allowed they would have had a 'dress' straw for special occasions.

From 1937 Miami Oklahoma

harvest.jpg

and from 1945 Ada Oklahoma

harvest45.jpg

And from 1944 in New York [cut from a large Montgomery Ward ad]

newyork44.jpg

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
for many years ive worn hats ranging from $10 - 40 USD very summer and even the nice ones when i got them out and ready to use in the spring had to be replaced , i may as well of been punching them out or tossing them into a thresher . now i have a nice brooks brothers boater that i would never treat like that (i cringe at the thought) but my straws that i work in all summer better look out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael