Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did they really punch out their straw hats at the end of the season?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
From Shorpy, exhibit A:

hat.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The changing times...

Perhaps a ceremony to mark the changing of time and season?

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a story in my February 1929 National Retail Clothier Magazine of men 'sacrificing' their felt hats on a fiery alter before parading through town for National Straw Hat Day. Retire the old, bring in the new.

Could it be the same thing only with straws?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
What, were these people rich or something?

I willingly revolt against "traditions" like this.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the Boater hat (I take it we are talking about boaters) was as cheep as the new straw fedoras Wal-mart offers I could not see why anyone wouldn't punch a hole in it and buy a new one the next year. Just a thought.
Johnny

Dewhurst

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
If the Boater hat (I take it we are talking about boaters) was as cheep as the new straw fedoras Wal-mart offers I could not see why anyone wouldn't punch a hole in it and buy a new one the next year. Just a thought.
Johnny

So, they weren't rich, they were masochists who were only too happy to destroy the object of their pain!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My dad, who grew up in NYC in the 20s (he turns 90 next month!), told me about this many times. It was a tradition on Felt Hat Day, September 15, to put your fist through your straw hat and break out your cool-weather felt. He saw it done plenty.

Of course, you could buy a decent new hat for a dollar or two then - a very different situation than today, even accounting for inflation!

winston

New in Town
These people worked hard in their hats. I doubt if they were fit for use come next spring/summer, and I doubt if they cost much to begin with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo