Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diesel waxy cow hide leather

Riu

Practically Family
Hasn't come up. Are you not happy with the vast range of hides with established qualities already offered by makers?

The maker I asked to do the jacket offered me a couple of options but I wanted something with a different finish, I thought I would start looking myself and get some samples.

Riu

Practically Family

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for your suggestion Marc, I'm looking for a medium to heavy leather with a smooth finish so I like that one and it's nice that you can decide what thickness you want. I'll see if I can my hands on some samples before deciding which one to choose.
Be aware: not every jacket maker is able to work with thick hides. The leather has to be skived on the edges. Otherwise it's too thick for the machine and the needle will break.

Riu

Practically Family
Be aware: not every jacket maker is able to work with thick hides. The leather has to be skived on the edges. Otherwise it's too thick for the machine and the needle will break.

I will try to get as much information as I can from him before I place an order, thank you for the tips.

Riu

Practically Family
I got some samples and I kinda like how it looks and feels, still waiting for some Horween samples and then I'll decide.

The leather is not too stretchy and I pulled and wrinkled it a bit to see how it looks.

I also got an oily cowhide that's on the 3rd image but it's just too stretchy for me although I like the finish.

What do you guys think?

IMG_8360.JPG

IMG_8345.JPG

IMG_8344.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8357.JPG
    IMG_8357.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8345.JPG
    IMG_8345.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 148

Pandemic

One Too Many
I have a sample of this one. I was impressed by the feel of it, though opted for something much different. Not that you can tell too much from a little sample, but it felt soft and spongey, yet was thick and didn’t have much pull-up.
4E6CC6D5-54BF-47F6-85D8-E1564F2FDC47.jpeg

Horween CXL (steer or horse) is kinda the gold standard for heavy. For something medium, I’m a big fan of their Milan horse hide.

Reactions: Riu

Riu

Practically Family
I have a sample of this one. I was impressed by the feel of it, though opted for something much different. Not that you can tell too much from a little sample, but it felt soft and spongey, yet was thick and didn’t have much pull-up.
View attachment 298330

Horween CXL (steer or horse) is kinda the gold standard for heavy. For something medium, I’m a big fan of their Milan horse hide.
I'll have to see when I get the rest of the samples, this Diesel is soft as well and feels good but just want to make sure I see all of them first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112