Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between the Stetson Stratoliner and The Open Road

just from my own experience, i got the impression that the standard quality (i know, this is confusing when talking about stetson. I mean bog-standard, every day; not the "Standard Quality" Stetson) stratoliner had better quality felt than the open road. Though i don't claim to be any authority on the quality of felt, this is just my impression.

bk

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Any other input?

I see from the threads mentioned by RBH (thanks) that a couple of other folks have noted the similarities between the OR and the Strat.

How about it, gang? Any of you who own both of these (or have had the chance to examine both) who care to weigh in and share your observations?

Feraud

Bartender
I have a couple of Open Roads but have not handled a Strat. The Open Roads are a good quality hat and I am curious if the Strats are any better.
Whenever I visit the thrift/vintage shops I am always looking out for a Stratoliner.
As an aside, I get the feeling this style does not suit me. I am not sure if it is the thin ribbon or light color...

RBH

Bartender
I cant weight in on felt quality, but the felt on my Stratoliner is a lot thinner than the felt on my Open Road.
But from what I read I would think the thinner felt is the best.

Feraud- thats the way I use to feel about narrow brims, I still like them to be at least 2 1\2..

MattC

A-List Customer
Strat/Open Road comparisons

One of the things that makes comparisons difficult is that the quality of the hats changed over time, and so did some of the styling (particularly on the Strat). That said, here are a few differences.

Strats, as near as I can tell, were only made in Royal Stetson quality felt. Open Roads were made in just about every grade, from 3x to Imperial. Of course, the quality of the felt in all the grades changed over the years.

Strats, as near as I can tell, tended to have snap brims. Open Roads had level brims, which could be turned down or up, but didn't have the sharp downward edge in front and curl up in the back of a classic snap brim.

Strats tended to have narrower brims. I've got a Strat with a 2 1/4" brim, one at 2 1/2" and one at 2 5/8". My Open Roads are 2 3/4 and 2 7/8. A strange thing about the narrower brim Start: it isn't a late (60s) hat; its a 50s, made in Canada.

I think Strats tend to be a bit more tapered in the Crown.

I think both used to be sold open crown. But I think you are right that O.R.s tended to get blocked Cattelmen style, and Strats as fedoras. At various points, Stetson certainly marketed the OR as a western hat and the Start as more citified.

I didn't like the look at first, but it has really grown on me.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I have three older Open Roads, and now total two Strats; one tan, one charcoal grey.

The felt quality of the tan Strat is very similar to that of the old Open Roads, although as noted above, the brim is narrower. The felt quality of my charcoal Strat is much superior, and I note that it says "Vita-Felt process" on the sweatband, so it may be that this is the difference.

But if you go by visual quality, I think the difference between a Strat and a narrow-brim (2 1/4 to 2 1/2") Open Road is pretty much moot. One looks like the other.

oh yeah, now i remember, the distinctive curl to the sides of the brim of the Stratoliner from being put into the weird-shaped boxes. To get the Stratoliner into one of the boxes the brim has to be curled up on the sides. The box was apparently designed so you would have to do this . . . and so you would get the correct degree of brim curl . . . i don't have a good pic, but this happened to my strat when i started using the box.

bk

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are reference photos
Stratoliner
DSCN3818.jpg
[/IMG]
Open Road 3X
DSCN3839.jpg
[/IMG]
The OR for me has a bit straighter crown and is boxier with form
DSCN3355.jpg
[/IMG]
The Stratoliner has a slight taper and is definitely softer as far as the way it is constructed as if it is ment to be put in cramped spaces
DSCN3729.jpg
[/IMG]

RBH

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
oh yeah, now i remember, the distinctive curl to the sides of the brim of the Stratoliner from being put into the weird-shaped boxes. To get the Stratoliner into one of the boxes the brim has to be curled up on the sides. The box was apparently designed so you would have to do this . . . and so you would get the correct degree of brim curl . . . i don't have a good pic, but this happened to my strat when i started using the box.

bk

Thanks BK,
This pic may help explain it. At least this is the way I store mine.
You are very right, after storage the brim really has that distinct shape.
Its not my favorite brim style, but I do like it on my Stratoliner.

boxpq0.jpg

Last edited:

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DOUGLAS said:
The Stratoliner has a slight taper and is definitely softer as far as the way it is constructed as if it is ment to be put in cramped spaces

Imagine that, taper as part of the design, not due to cheap felt! And everyone hates taper! Go figure.

dean

ideaguy

One Too Many
I bin tryin' to figure. Can't. Gotta say, the hat Douglas has on- the light OR-
is a stunner! But I love the style of that particular hat. Might have Art put his
magic fingers to replicate that one, with a touch more rake to the crown...

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
MattC said:
And the felt on the damn things is pretty bad. Kept in place with shellac. Art Fawcett can make you one however.

That's too bad. I think I'm finally starting to realize the road will eventually end at Art's shop:)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
There is one other open-crowned Open Road-style hat available besides one of Art's incredible customs - the Akubra Campdraft actually IS the Open Road, as Akubra used to make them for Stetson under license. When the deal expired, Akubra just renamed it the "Campdraft," but it essentially is the old Open Road. Still comes open crowned. So, there's at least one other option. :)

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Atomic Glee said:
There is one other open-crowned Open Road-style hat available besides one of Art's incredible customs - the Akubra Campdraft actually IS the Open Road, as Akubra used to make them for Stetson under license. When the deal expired, Akubra just renamed it the "Campdraft," but it essentially is the old Open Road. Still comes open crowned. So, there's at least one other option. :)

I do know of the Campdraft, but didn't know those facts. I appreciate that..that's a good option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats