Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences between Akubra squatter and Akubra federation?

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hello,

can someone help me out? Are they both straight sided or does the squatter have more taper?

regards

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The main differences that I know of are that the federation has a much taller crown and a bit less taper than the squatter. The squatter also has a larger brim with a bound edge which the Federation does not have.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
The main differences that I know of are that the federation has a much taller crown and a bit less taper than the squatter. The squatter also has a larger brim with a bound edge which the Federation does not have.

This is my main point. I need another hat, straight and tall like a fedIV but with a bound edge. And same price-dimension. Pics of the squatter let me think, that there is more taper on it. So i shouldn`t buy one of these.

casechopper

If you're looking for straight and tall with a bound edge I'd look at the campdraft. I have a squatter and the crown is reasonably straight but is not as straight as the Federation.

tridentine

Suspended
I have a hardly ever worn Akubra Federation, Brown, size 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 for 55.00 plus shipping if you are interested?

Neophyte

Squatter has a wider, uniform, bound brim, unlike the FedIV's raw dimensional brim.

Squatter has a mid-width ribbon, FedIV has reasonably wide ribbon.

Squatter has a somewhat shorter, rounder crown with a very, very slight taper. FedIV has a tall, straight, oval crown.

Squatter is offered by multiple retailers, FedIV is HatsDirect exclusive.

Squatter has self-colored ribbon, FedIV has self-colored or contrasting depending on felt color.

FedIV offered in Imperial and Heritage felts, Squatter in Imperial or, in some cases, Superfine.

Having had both models side by side, they don't differ in profile all that much once creased. However, when creases to the same height and with straight sides, the Squatter seems shorter because of it's wider brim. It's all proportion and perception.

Last edited:
This is my main point. I need another hat, straight and tall like a fedIV but with a bound edge. And same price-dimension. Pics of the squatter let me think, that there is more taper on it. So i shouldn`t buy one of these.

I bought a FedIV & sent it to Falcon Park Hats for edge trimming & adding a bound edge. Squatter is a totally different hat as Alexander points out.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I bought a FedIV & sent it to Falcon Park Hats for edge trimming & adding a bound edge. Squatter is a totally different hat as Alexander points out.

I have a squatter and love it, but my dream hat right now would be a Fed in moonstone with a trimmed and bound 2 1/2" brim.

I have a squatter and love it, but my dream hat right now would be a Fed in moonstone with a trimmed and bound 2 1/2" brim.
I had the same take except with a slightly slimmer ribbon treatment...
Photo-0101.jpg

Lordteabelly

New in Town
Do you have any photos please of your fed iv after your alterations? those are the exact things I'm having done by a local hat maker...trim the brim slightly so it is an even size, have a binding added and it curled up slightly and change the band to a slimmer one.

Do you have any photos of yours please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles