Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Digital watches/clocks

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Aside from the digital/analog issue, am I the only one who thinks big, ostentatious watches are gaudy and vulgar? They're the middle-class-striver's equivalent of "bling." In my experience, the subtler the watch, the more powerful the wearer.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Absolutely. It's not just middle-class strivers, though.
Curiously there is a widespread prejudice against subtle watches as being "unmanly". A man apparently has to wear flashy, vulgar Rolex-knock-offs.

I regularly wear these two 30-40's tonneau watches, and I stopped counting the times I have been asked whether this is a "woman's watch"... :rolleyes:

SAM_2769.jpg

Huertecilla

Banned
Aside from the digital/analog issue, am I the only one who thinks big, ostentatious watches are gaudy and vulgar? They're the middle-class-striver's equivalent of "bling." In my experience, the subtler the watch, the more powerful the wearer.

I agree.
I abhor brand reverence, the Veblen thing.
I prefer ' sterile' dials/displays.
Unfortunately there are nowadays very few un- or discreetly branded watches.

Tomorrow I have a lunch date with a VERY sweet lady and plan to wear a mega-sterile watch. Discreet size, simple stainless steel case/ matching bracelet with a flush ruby red window. Push button for HH:MM.
No brand or what in sight. On the caseback just the type and WR rating. On the inside of the clasp the fixed price is stamped.

elektronika1led10.jpg

It was hand made in 1978 and has run slow 30 seconds over the past 4 years...

As to ROLEX, I was given a custom made 6538a homage with discreetly personalised dial by a treasured gf. It was a good natured sting about my disdain for the ultimate aspirational watch.
This is the COSC spec engine so she did not keep the wallet closed

Foto550-U3CSIBO8.jpg

Last edited:

Huertecilla

Banned
Here is one I built myself with a 1953 regulators watch movement and a VERY high quality custom made case. Note the micro adjustment! enabeling perfect regulation.
The size of the balance wheel contributes to the isochrony.
Oh, and don't miss the Breguet overcoil.

Foto550-8KFJJLTI.jpg

Last edited:

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
I think in 24 hour clock terms, it is 22:35 as I type. To me that is the simplest and quickest way of communicating the hour of day.
I can read either analogue or digital, with equal ease.

In terms of relating it to how I think, a digital timepiece which works on the 24hr system is most "correct" but, unless alone I've been on a particularly hearty binge, either digital or analogue will let me the time precisely with equal effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff