Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dimensional brims

Mulceber

Practically Family
From what I understand, they were somewhat popular in Britain during the Golden Era (which might explain why Indy had one, given that he shopped at Herbert Johnson), but otherwise, they were almost unheard of. I'm far from an expert on this though. -M

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Dimensional brims seem to have been at least slightly popular in the 1920s and early '30s, though it was the back of the brim that was shorter, with the sides and front being the same width.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Both answers are correct Gents. The dimensional brim was considered an option only ( a very remote option) in the 20s and from what I understand was pretty much limited to HJ. Of the thousands of hats that have gone through my hands in the last 20 yrs, not one was a dimensional brim with the sides narrower than the front & back. That is an Indy thing only in my eyes because of this experience.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
You want me to do WHAT?

Art Fawcett said:
Both answers are correct Gents. The dimensional brim was considered an option only ( a very remote option) in the 20s and from what I understand was pretty much limited to HJ. Of the thousands of hats that have gone through my hands in the last 20 yrs, not one was a dimensional brim with the sides narrower than the front & back. That is an Indy thing only in my eyes because of this experience.

Hi Art

This is completely off topic, but can I ask what your signature is in regards to? ;)

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Oh dear, an idea is bubbling upward

Dinerman said:
Dimensional brims seem to have been at least slightly popular in the 1920s and early '30s, though it was the back of the brim that was shorter, with the sides and front being the same width.

That's an intriguing proposition. I wonder if there have ever been examples produced or modified to have both the front and back and the brim be narrower than the sides, thus emphasizing width. That might seem stylistically fitting for a lightweight, spring and early summer hat, although I could imagine that it would be awkward.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Delthayre said:
That's an intriguing proposition. I wonder if there have ever been examples produced or modified to have both the front and back and the brim be narrower than the sides, thus emphasizing width. That might seem stylistically fitting for a lightweight, spring and early summer hat, although I could imagine that it would be awkward.

If I remember correctly, I think I've seen an ad for the Lee Trinity that advertised that, though the Trinitys I've owned didn't have that feature.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
That is an Indy thing only in my eyes because of this experience.

Art posts for me, which is why I can't quite pull the trigger on a Federation purchase. I avoid all things Indy, and can't get past the dimensional brim (though I'll admit that I've never seen one in person).

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Indeed. In a sense, this comes naturally as the jack is pushed away from the band block as the contact points move outward when cutting the side of the brim, due to the length of the band block.

On derbies and some homburgs, this is a necessity, and the thumb screws make the width even greater.

Cutting the front/rear brim:
RJ1.jpg

Cutting the side brim:
RJ2.jpg

Brad

Feraud

Bartender
skyvue said:
Art posts for me, which is why I can't quite pull the trigger on a Federation purchase. I avoid all things Indy, and can't get past the dimensional brim (though I'll admit that I've never seen one in person).
Having owned a Fed I can say the dimensional cut is basically unnoticable.

I was about to say that it would take me at least a thousand words to describe what a picture of two would make obvious in an instant. And then along comes Brad with a picture or two. Hooray!

Come to think of it, Grey, there could be a clearer term for it.

These days it seems it is mostly used in reference to those Indiana Jones-type hats, with the sides of the brim a tad narrower than the fronts and backs.

As Brad mentioned above, some Homburgs and derbies, with sides that curl upwards more dramatically than their fronts and backs, might require that extra bit of material at the sides to achieve the desired visual effect.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
There are definitely hats with wider front brims unrelated to HJ or Indy. Most obviously Alpen styles and some Safari styles. Stetson currently lists a couple. I know I ran across a couple 1930's hats as well and a couple of straws where the brim was actually wider on the sides( some may just be blocking errors). I just remembered another, my 1940's Green Suede Finish Sovereign Stetson is full 1/8" wider front and back than the sides(evenly so).

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Between...what?...1970 and 1985 I must have bought seven or eight hats in the Herbert Johnson shop, Grosvenors and Poets. I can't remember anyone ever discussing proportional brims or offering it as an option, even at additional cost.

Buzz

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think in terms of vintage hats, it's very uncommon. But I have seen ads from the 30's for the typical, so-called Indy cut. I have also seen a couple of actual vintage lids with this feature. So it wasn't pioneered by Indy any more than the center dent was.

I think it's more about combining stye and practicality. The extra width in front and back is more protective, but looking at the wearers face, the hat doesn't seem as big. Just my thought on the matter.

Stetson has servral current models with the standard dimensional cut, as well as a few (though never described that way) have a shorter rear brim as well. The effect is to accentuate the swoopy look from a side view. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran