Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dimensional brims

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
crown shape and dimensional brim

I know many of you put a c-crown into your akubra feds, looks pretty good.

nonetheless, does anyone think the dimensional brim lends itself better to one crown bash over another?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
norse products

I found it here.
dedf77a9f5977ef8ae8098bbc26e02c8_h356w534_max.jpeg

also

soulland-fedora-02.jpg

crhIndyfan

New in Town
Hi guys, I appreciate this is an older thread but I was hoping someone might be able to explain for me the "math" behind this photo. The snapshot is from Marc Kitter of Adventurebilt fame, and I am curious as to how he measured out the lines in regard to trimming the brim - how the 2 7/8 front & back flows into the 2 5/8 sides. Any comments are appreciated :))

Attachments

• Dimensional Brim.jpg
    Dimensional Brim.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 353
Hi guys, I appreciate this is an older thread but I was hoping someone might be able to explain for me the "math" behind this photo. The snapshot is from Marc Kitter of Adventurebilt fame, and I am curious as to how he measured out the lines in regard to trimming the brim - how the 2 7/8 front & back flows into the 2 5/8 sides. Any comments are appreciated :))
I've never trimmed one but you're trimming 1/4" per side. I would start with a ellipse circumfrence calculator to get the arc of the circumfrence correct. Think of the circumfrence in quarters. Once I had that I would lay out the pattern on cardboard or poster board before trimming.

crhIndyfan

New in Town
I've never trimmed one but you're trimming 1/4" per side. I would start with a ellipse circumfrence calculator to get the arc of the circumfrence correct. Think of the circumfrence in quarters. Once I had that I would lay out the pattern on cardboard or poster board before trimming.
Hi Hurricane Jack, thanks for your answer. I really appreciate the information. This was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for haha. Many thanks, Bud

Hi Hurricane Jack, thanks for your answer. I really appreciate the information. This was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for haha. Many thanks, Bud
If you are attempting to do this yourself keep in mind you will need to maintain a small tolerance or curf on the plus side, because you will need to sand & smooth back to the finished circumference. I would think you would want to start with a 3" brim also, & not 2-7/8.

Perhaps these experts can tell you how they do it:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-making-learning-millinery.57311/page-14

crhIndyfan

New in Town
If you are attempting to do this yourself keep in mind you will need to maintain a small tolerance or curf on the plus side, because you will need to sand & smooth back to the finished circumference. I would think you would want to start with a 3" brim also, & not 2-7/8.

Perhaps these experts can tell you how they do it:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-making-learning-millinery.57311/page-14
Yeah, I had the 3 inch brim all round in mind. It makes sense to allow for error when it comes down to actually gauging the bloody thing with a Stanley knife haha. Thanks for the link, I'll give them a look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy