Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disappointing rennovation - new member intro.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for your replies. I've decided to give Batsakes an opportunity to correct this (though I have declined to pay for them to post it back to me). I can't say that I'll feel good about seeing BATSAKES stamped on the replacement lining they fitted to the hat, but I suppose it doesn't matter so long as the hat is wearable. Can any of you recommend hatters for renovations? I'd like to get one of my Panamas re-blocked into the Optimo style and I certainly won't be sending it to Cincinnati.

To A C Lyles, I'm afraid I didn't see that particular post about Batsakes. Had I done so, it would've saved me a lot of bother!

Orangehaggis

Tom Gomez is supposed to be a wizard with Panamas. I've seen pictures of his work. They're amazing! Here's the link to his site....

http://gomezhatcompany.com/about.html

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Was is it so hard to business people to be nice to their customers?

That's a very good question. When I experience fellow customers in the local supermarket queue, I get quite assured, that the problem is double-sided. Sometimes both parties act as if they were showing off talent at an audition for a Tarantino movie [huh]

Orangehaggis

New in Town
That's a very good question. When I experience fellow customers in the local supermarket queue, I get quite assured, that the problem is double-sided. Sometimes both parties act as if they were showing off talent at an audition for a Tarantino movie [huh]

In my experience, there are certainly customers who won't be satisfied whatever we try to do to please them. There are people who come in looking for a fight. There are even thieves who use persuasion or confusion to cheat us out of merchandise or cash. However, the vast majority of customers are reasonable, and when they complain there is a valid reason so to do. The bottom line is if you expect people to fork over their hard earned money to you, you should at least be nice to them.

Orangehaggis

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I've had good results with Optimo in Chicago. I have sent numerous hats there and recieved good feedback from either Graham himself or his staff. I understand there's a hatmaker/renovator in the Philly area who's good, but have not used him.
As someone else mentioned, there are other loungers who do these sorts of things on the side and do a nice job as well.
BTW, never seen orange haggis, usually a brownish-grayish color.

I haven't heard of a local renovator to Philadelphia. Does anyone know who this is?

-Max

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Surly hat business owners shouldn't be tolerated period. If they want your business and can't be nice whether on the phone or in person then do not go back. I've had that experience in a couple of places here and no customer wants to be treated like anything other than with kindness even if it is trivial to them or not. Their in business to earn money from customers like you and me and if they can't treat you with respect then end your dealings with them and find someplace else to take your business . What business (hat shops )fail to realize is that one unhappy customer can be fatal in this day of social media communication.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What business (hat shops )fail to realize is that one unhappy customer can be fatal in this day of social media communication.
Yep, especially the old timers, running mom and pops. Younger businessmen are much more respectful of social media.

Orangehaggis

New in Town
Well, the hat's back from Batsakes and the bow placement is bang on. Disappointingly but not unexpectedly, they charged me for posting it back to me. I do have another question for the Lounge, should the sweatband stitching be neatly hidden by the ribbon, or is it acceptable to have them exposed? I can see them just below the ribbon on the front and right side (when worn - opposite to ribbon side). They're in a fairly close shade to the felt and not visible unless you've got the hat in your hands and you're looking straight at it.

Orangehaggis

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The sweatband stitching must be hidden behind the ribbon. If the ribbon "creeps" a little up the crown, I find it easiest to very cautiously get it into place with a brush. Gently brush along the ribbon - a little angled toward the brim. If you just try to push it down with the fingers, it will very likely end up with a wavery upper edge. Other loungers may have other and better techniques :)

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Even hatters just starting out understand that the sweatband stitching shouldn't be visible. How obvious are the stitches?

Orangehaggis

New in Town
As I say, the stitches are pretty close to the colour of the felt, so they're not obvious. They are visible ... adjusting the ribbon downwards gets the bottom edge of the ribbon to just cover the stitching, but it's not much of an overlap. It seems like Batsakes hasn't deemed me worthy of their best effort.

Orangehaggis

-30-

A-List Customer
I found the same problem with a brand new Borsalino that I had purchased two years ago.

Seems as if they just didn't care what they produced.

Regards,
J T

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Orange, I am shocked you gave them the chance and shocked at how pathetic their customer service is. Gus won't last long in 2014 and beyond treating customers like that.

-30-

A-List Customer
It was well beyond "Quality Control". As an aside from the above, three stitches in the ribbon and nine in the bow

are all readily seen. I was so disgusted, I ordered a custom from Leon Drexler, (Steve Temkin) no problems with his.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Orangehaggis

New in Town
Lesson learnt. I'll wear the hat as it is until it's time for another re-blocking. I do intend to recover the $10 they charged to send it back to me, plus the $10 I paid to send it back to them to fix their off-centre bow.

Now to save up for my homburg from Art Fawcett!

Orangehaggis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace