Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disappointing rennovation - new member intro.

Orangehaggis

New in Town
Greetings everyone, I'm Mark. I'm a long time reader of FL, but a brand new member. I own a Christy's fur bowler, two Montecristi panama hats (one of which was supplied by Panama Bob), several tweed caps and an old brown fur felt trilby that I recently sent away to be renovated.

The trilby wasn't re-blocked exactly to my specifications, but I could probably fix this quite easily with a bit of steam. The real disappointment was that the bow of the ribbon hat band was put on about an inch and a quarter too far back on the hat and is visibly off-centre.

Upon noticing this, I rang the hatter and after some difficulty communicating, I explained the problem. He became irate and launched into a tirade about how long he and his employees had been in the business, commented at length about the battered condition that the hat arrived in, and suggested that next time I send the hat back to England to be renovated. When I reminded him that I paid the fee requested, he instructed me to mark with chalk where I wanted the bow and to send it back, adding that I would have to pay to have it returned to me and they'd never do any work for me again.

The hatter is a revered old school hatter that I selected in large part because of what I read of his work here on FL. The problem was minor, but being shouted at over the phone has soured me on this whole experience. My initial instinct was to have my credit card issuer charge the amount back, and to mail the hatter back his grosgrain and logo-printed lining and starting again from scratch. All I wanted was the bow centred, but what I got was an earful.

I would be grateful for the thoughts of board members before I act.

Respectfully,
Mark (Orangehaggis)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Sorry to hear you had that kind of problem. I don't care how well respected the old school hatter may be to some, that's no way to treat a customer who has an issue with the work which was done. It would have been a lot simpler for the Hatter to correct the mistake and be done with it, no hard feelings and everybody would have been happy in the end. But to be fair, there's two sides to an argument which should be heard before an opinion can be made...btw, there's a few loungers here that are pretty good hatters who may be able to help you with your next conversion project. John Galt did one for me and I'm happy with the results.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I would be grateful for the thoughts of board members before I act.

Could you upload a picture of the problem(s)? As TJ points out, there are always at least two sides to take into consideration. I also would like to know, who the hatter is. It would be nice to know for other loungers with hats that need renovation.

Orangehaggis

New in Town
Wow! Sorry to hear you had that kind of problem. I don't care how well respected the old school hatter may be to some, that's no way to treat a customer who has an issue with the work which was done. It would have been a lot simpler for the Hatter to correct the mistake and be done with it, no hard feelings and everybody would have been happy in the end. But to be fair, there's two sides to an argument which should be heard before an opinion can be made...btw, there's a few loungers here that are pretty good hatters who may be able to help you with your next conversion project. John Galt did one for me and I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for the replies. The hatter is Mr. Miller from Batsakes Bros. in Cincinnati. The job that was done wasn't so much a conversion as a renovation. I was very hard on this hat, and I was grateful for the work that was done ... I just didn't expect to be mistreated over what would have been a minor fix. Times are tough, and as somebody in retail management, I'm grateful to my customers for keeping me in a job.

Orangehaggis

Orangehaggis

New in Town
trilby_zpscb20a97e.jpg

This shot shows that the bow is off-centre.

Orangehaggis

Banky

One of the Regulars
heh, I've been making hats just about a year now and if I tacked a bow off like that my bosses would be apologizing to the customer and I'd be doing it again.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
When somebody else reported an unpleasant run in with Gus a while back I 'yelped' his shop and found more accounts of shabby customer service. I posted a link in the thread but I guess the OP didn't see it.

RJR

He does work for Panama Bob,be interesting to see how he likes negative feedback from FL.

Orangehaggis

New in Town
Thank you for your replies. I've decided to give Batsakes an opportunity to correct this (though I have declined to pay for them to post it back to me). I can't say that I'll feel good about seeing BATSAKES stamped on the replacement lining they fitted to the hat, but I suppose it doesn't matter so long as the hat is wearable. Can any of you recommend hatters for renovations? I'd like to get one of my Panamas re-blocked into the Optimo style and I certainly won't be sending it to Cincinnati.

To A C Lyles, I'm afraid I didn't see that particular post about Batsakes. Had I done so, it would've saved me a lot of bother!

Orangehaggis

I've had good results with Optimo in Chicago. I have sent numerous hats there and recieved good feedback from either Graham himself or his staff. I understand there's a hatmaker/renovator in the Philly area who's good, but have not used him.
As someone else mentioned, there are other loungers who do these sorts of things on the side and do a nice job as well.
BTW, never seen orange haggis, usually a brownish-grayish color.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Can any of you recommend hatters for renovations? I'd like to get one of my Panamas re-blocked into the Optimo style and I certainly won't be sending it to Cincinnati.

To A C Lyles, I'm afraid I didn't see that particular post about Batsakes. Had I done so, it would've saved me a lot of bother!

Orangehaggis
Yeah, sometimes stuff gets buried around here. Here's a thread I dug up on Batsakes that would have been helpful to you and which also mentions the best hatter, IMO, to use for repair/renovation.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?26644-Disappointment-at-Batsakes

Orangehaggis

New in Town
I've had good results with Optimo in Chicago. I have sent numerous hats there and recieved good feedback from either Graham himself or his staff. I understand there's a hatmaker/renovator in the Philly area who's good, but have not used him.
As someone else mentioned, there are other loungers who do these sorts of things on the side and do a nice job as well.
BTW, never seen orange haggis, usually a brownish-grayish color.

It's actually a rare delicacy ... something like a haggis flavoured Terry's Chocolate Orange. Actually, it was a nickname an acquaintance of mine gave me. The Orange bit because I'm of Ulster origin with certain political proclivities, and the haggis because of my not so svelte physique!

Orangehaggis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace