Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disco Dolly?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I work in at the campus research library where we have to deal with the public fairly regularly. Despite the notion that libraries are 'conservative' places, we all pretty much dress how we want. I, along with the other student workers, have a bit more lee-way since we are in class all day before and after work.

The majority of staff wears slacks or nicer looking jeans, and button-down shirts (dress or western/plaid shirts) for the men, and the women usually wear blouses or sweaters. It's not a regular corporate office job, and we are always handling old, dusty books or climbing up ladders and crawling on the floor, so we probably all dress nicer than we should!

Personally, I like the relaxed atmosphere. The clothes fit the job and allows people to express themselves. It's my goal in life to never own a pant suit, but that's just me!

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic:
you are so pretty. you look like you have the most beautiful skin.
I used to be a librarian when I first got married so I completely understand that.

laurakitty

Familiar Face
I work as a retoucher so nobody gives a damn what I wear. I dress up every day because I find life depressing otherwise- everyone I work with always compliments me because my clothes are great, but nobody cares if my dress is super short (which it often is). I guess this is one of the benefits of working in a creative field.

Inky

One Too Many
Unfortunately, yes, people need reminders. I left the corporate world in 1997 as a manager of a large savings and loan (woo, remember those?) and often I would have to send staff home, unpaid, for dress code violations.

Now I work in my jammies from home (and am immensely grateful for no longer being a corporate clone). The cats do not seem to care if my t-shirt has a hole in it ;)

I always dress up when I go out, since I never would dress up otherwise.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Over and under...

I have always loved to dress up, sometimes it has been hard to tone down the vintage look enough for "normal" jobs. But I have never been accused of being too casual! If anything, too formal/grownup for most places. Although I have had jobs where co-workers and customers would come to see what I had on.
Now, alas, I work in a secluded and very rustic space where there is no point in dressing up for the Rottweiler. So I miss getting girly on the one hand, but am relieved to be able to go to work in my sweats if I am short of time.
I do think that in a public or corporate job atmosphere, the least you can do is be neat, clean, and not so outrageous that it takes attention away from the matter at hand - making a living.

Lenah

New in Town
I work in a small office, and I dress up to motivate myself, to somehow retain professionality. It helps me dealing with clients, vendors, employees. I get more respect dressed nicely, than casual. When I started, my boss did tell me " You don't have to dress up around here," and I stopped for a bit, but I found my motivation sinking, dealings with others became a tad more difficult. People just expect certain things when it comes to business... And an office manager in sweats doesn't impress anyone.

Before though, I worked for a large company, and yeah, lol, they had slight problems with dress code. Actually only two people on my floor, one girl was forever wearing wedge flip-flops and had blue toenail polish... but no one complained because she was controllers darling, and the other was a guy everyone gossiped was gay, because he was extremely, insanely pretty, like lashes to the ying-yang, silky skin and hair... but in an asexual way. And he wore pink shirts, or peach, and bright colors. A wicked, daring dresser. We flirted though, so I don't think he was gay. But maybe I was his cover, haha...

Lily Powers

Practically Family
My employ is with a government agency and I deal with the public face to face on an infrequent basis in matters of some sensitivity. I wear dresses, skirts... pants when it's cold... most with a vintage look. No suits for me. The thought of a suit makes my skin crawl. But some women in the office who have no face to face contact with the public have worn cut-offs and flip flops. I kid you not. On a happier note, the three gentlemen in one particular unit of the office wore suits and fedoras and they looked very dapper... and they knew it!

kyda

One of the Regulars
casual friday

Being that I am a SAHM the kids and the cat do not really care what I look like but I do. If I get dressed in the morning and do my hair and make up I feel better and feel that my day can get off to a good start. My dh likes to come home to a wife who is dressed and his make up on, and that makes it so much easier to do.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I work at a public library. Our dress code is "buisness casual" and I take great pride in looking "cute" and professional-- I wear skirts and sweaters or dresses, and I always do so in a conservative fashion because I have such a young face-- if I'm not dressed like I'm old enough to work in an office, people assume I'm a teenage volunteer. I went in to work one day this summer after having come down with mono-- I wore a more juvenile sundress and no makeup because I was so tired, and a volunteer's grandmother actually asked if it was okay for her to leave me alone at the library.

I've always believed in "dressing for the job that you want," so I dress like I would if I were a library director.

I do mostly wool skirts and sweaters/cardigans in the winter and dresses with cardigans in the summer. People really like that I wear vintage-inspired clothing, too. They always tell me I look so at home in the library.

I've always been a bit pretentious when it comes to clothing though-- I always wear heels and a sensible skirt/dress to a job interview, and I can't stand it when I see people interview in jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes, or anything with holes.

Dani_Daydream

New in Town
I'm lucky enough to spend my working life (when i'm not at university) playing with dresses in one of the best vintage shops there is!

so i'm constantly surrounded by femme fatales and get a very nice discount.

the only problems lie in the fact that i can never have an off day! no jeans and jumpers for me! in the summer i used to literally sweat my arse off in full on corselettes, slips and stockings!

the other problem is the amount of vintage dresses i now own in my very small college room. last count was 97! (after i streamlined down and sold double that amount on ebay!) shock shock horror horror! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara