Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussion: The Art Deco Society

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just joined this board today, so if this is the inappropriate place for this question, please advise and I will withdraw or repost my question.

This is a serious inquiry about The Art Deco Society, based in Northern California.

I was a member of the Art Deco Society approximately 15-20 years ago. (Yes, I'm serious). The Art Deco Society members treated me VERY POORLY.

I am a short petite female.

When I went to events, the members would literally elbow me in the head to get more room to dance for themselves or their partners. I went to events for two years, and never left once without being bruised liberally and having my head "elbowed" at least once during the night. Twice I left with blood dripping down my head. I was NEVER agressive at an event, and tried to move away from people to give them room, but dancers were agressive to me. Attempts to report this to the board proved ineffective, and the board quickly claimed any problems were my fault without looking into the behavior.

Obviously, I quit the group.

What I would like to know is this behavior still present? Is it worth it for me to try again?

Thank you for your serious response to this post.

Vintage Betty

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I had problems like that when I went to any swing dance event in San Francisco 10-15 years ago. I have a friend that got kicked in the face (although not at a Art Deco Society event) while dancing.

I presume that the members have learned to calm down by now, but all the same you can always pay to go to the event and join later if they have started acting like ladies and gentlemen.

I've gone to Southern California Art Deco Society events without any problems over the years (a separate Art Deco Society related to the one in the Bay area).

Maybe the folks in San Francisco are a bunch of rowdies. I suggest heading to Southern California events, we're well behaved down here.

;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Having been a serious dancer in SF about fifteen years ago I can suggest a few things. About ten years ago, there wa a lot of cross over with the lindy hoppers going to deco society events. At that time the crowd was new and younger and more rowdy dancers. It is likely a few people got pushed around and elbowed from time to time. It is also possible that before that membeers were new to dancing and just learning and were not so good at controlling themselves. I am a little suprised at the thought as the Deco society tends to be a little older and more into slow dancing.

I would guess it would be better now as long as you go to an event that has a slower swing or tango band. If you go to an event with a band that is more jumping it may bring out the more rowdy dancers.

Still, I would guess that the dancers are more experienced now.

At the same time, people are people. I do not think some bigger people being unaware of smaller people will ever go away completely. I am 5'5" and I can speak form experience.

But I do nt think the ads is any better or worse than any given group of people. Probably better than most.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
If I read correctly, the San Fran swing mob started out as pretty much entirely ex-punkers. Presumably a good number of them were only recently removed from the moosh pit. The dancing had a strong current of exhibition and stunts to it, and the music was never ever slow.

Under those conditions you wouldn't be surprised if a few heads got bloodied, maybe even accidentally-on-purpose.

Barry

Practically Family
I have only been to one Art-Deco society event and one big swing-dance here in DC. Both events were nice and everyone at the "dancers table" at the swing dance was great-especially the women who put up with my terrible dancing skills :eek:.

Barry

Dr Doran

Fletch said:
If I read correctly, the San Fran swing mob started out as pretty much entirely ex-punkers. Presumably a good number of them were only recently removed from the moosh pit. The dancing had a strong current of exhibition and stunts to it, and the music was never ever slow.

Under those conditions you wouldn't be surprised if a few heads got bloodied, maybe even accidentally-on-purpose.

In 1993 or so I did know some of the San Francisco swing set (if you'll pardon the term) and many were in fact ex-punk rockers and ex-skinheads. A lot of them. As an ex-punk myself that's one of the reasons why I got along with some of them. A lot of them congregated at Club Deluxe on Haight Street. There are old ties between the scenes.

Vintage Betty

Great discussion, thank you

Thank you for all the great advice, suggestions and history.

The interesting thing about the experience is that I was hit in the head by WOMEN all those times and only once by a man. The man is the only person who apologized, and walked over from his date to make sure I was ok. She was not happy.

Were you saying that the women were also involved in the punk scene and moved over to the Deco Society? Cause if so, they sure cleaned up nice.

I've been to Southern California dance events, and you are right, they are much more polite than their Northern Brethren. I'm a native born Californian, and the manners up here need definate improvement.

I really like the idea of paying full price first and considering joining - smart tip. Any other advice?

Vintage Betty

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If you go, ask if you can check it out for about five minutes before you pay. If you don't like it, you can leave immediately without wasting your cover charge.

People tend to behave better when there is a diversity of ages. A roomful of 20-year-olds act like a bunch of wild banshees. A roomful of 50-year-olds act like their shoes are glued to the floor.

Dr Doran

Vintage Betty said:
Were you saying that the women were also involved in the punk scene and moved over to the Deco Society? Cause if so, they sure cleaned up nice.

I've been to Southern California dance events, and you are right, they are much more polite than their Northern Brethren. I'm a native born Californian, and the manners up here need definate improvement.

I am not necessarily saying that punk girls went into the Deco Society, only that many ex-punks and skins got into swing dancing. They did not necessarily join the Deco society. Most were males. Yes, punks have cleaned up. Finger tattoos don't clean up well, but everything else can. I wear a suit and tie every day. Nobody at my university has the faintest idea that I have punk rock tattoos on my arms from yesteryear. As for Northern California manners, I have talked to someone from Boston who also found manners to be poorer in general in Northern California, and I, being from L. A. but having lived in the Bay Area for fifteen years now, remember that Southern California manners seemed better. There are several possible reasons for this, if it is true. It certainly has been true in my experience. I think one is the hyper-political nature of many people I have met in the Bay Area. Politics can trump manners. (One of the things I like about the Fedora Lounge is that it is NOT centered around politics but around style and there are people of every political stripe here.) There are other possible hypotheses for rudeness in the Bay Area as compared to Southern California and various other places but that's one that I suspect.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Bay Area

In one of my other incarnations as an airline person we stayed at Torrance and I still laugh when I see that movie Jackie etc because of all the time I spent in the Del Amo Mall.

Prior to that we stayed in the Sheraton in Redondo Bch and we spent a lot of time around the South Coast Plaza plus my American relatives lived at Fountain Valley. I would have to say that I never met any bad mannered behaviour considering that those places are party central. The people were very nice and the old houses still gave the place that look of the old seaside we remember from our youth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic