Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita supports PETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Well, the message could have come from the Deluded Fruitcakes Anonymous and it would have made as much sense. I have a female cat and she's been neutered when she reached maturity; no more heat period and her behavior has much improved.

In the "Give or donate [animal]" of my local Kijiji Classifieds, the section is filled to the brim every day with people looking to donate kittens. Of all those, how many do you think will wind up in the local animal shelters? My local SPCA has issued a statement about cats, saying they can't take no more. And what do you think happens after a certain time when the cats aren't adopted? Yes, they're euthanized.

The responsible choice is clear.

Doh!

One Too Many
Does anyone else find it ironic that this is the one PETA ad that has zero nudity? Most of the others usually show off the model's... "sit-upon." (To quote Python.)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
twobarbreak said:
I know plenty of animal owners that are responsible that wouldn't dream of cutting open their pets so they can't reproduce.

It isn't just because of breeding, female dogs get breast & uterine cancer if they aren't spayed & don't ever have litters. My female dog is fixed, and she never leaves the house without me so there was no chance in her getting pregnant. When my male puppy is old enough he is getting fixed too. I do not see it is cruel in any way.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
You and dozens of corsets.

lol

I'm a major Dita fan. I pay to belong to her site and everything (my wallet hates me for it), and she's such an eloquent, and elegant, woman. She's quite a role model to me.

PETA, not so into. I'm surprised that they chose her for this campaign as she has a collection of vintage hats with stuffed birds, wears fur and the like. Just shows you how famous she's getting!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Surprises me more that they're propagating neutering. I'd have thought they regard this murder of unborn beings of more value than humans.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting campaign. at this remoce I have a lot of sympathy for a lot of what PETA has stood up for, though eithout getting into the politics of it all, often as a meat eater and leather wearer I feel excluded from a certain eltist sensibility within the animal rights movement in general. All of our family cats were neutered over the years - most of them being boys, it helped to stop them wandering and coming to harm. There are so many healthy cats put down every year, I'd much rather see cats neutered than the thought of subsequent unloved and unwanted little feline lives extinguished. :cry:

As for Dita.... a very interesting lady. Charming character and always a joy to read, though (prude that I am) her shows aren't entirely to my taste as I don't care for burlesque going as far as actual nudity. [huh] I may be wrong, but I read somewhere that her furs were all vintage. I know there are two schools of thought on this - one says don't create new fur coats, but it would disrespect those killed for their skin even further by not using what already exists; the other school of thought says even wearing vintage fur stimulates the market for new stuff. FWIW, most of my friends in the latter camp have been meat eaters, while I know vegetarians in the former. I'm not sure wehre I stand on that one myself. I do have a vintage mink stole which was bought for me as a gift (it's an integral part of a Dr FranknFurter costume), and that's fine, but I'd never wear a fur coat... I like leather because it's a by-product of the meat industry. I may eat animals, but I also believe in treating them with respect and not wasting that "resource" - take only what we need as use as much of it as possible. Anyhow, I'm veering :eek:fftopic: now...

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Miss Brill said:
It isn't just because of breeding, female dogs get breast & uterine cancer if they aren't spayed & don't ever have litters. My female dog is fixed, and she never leaves the house without me so there was no chance in her getting pregnant. When my male puppy is old enough he is getting fixed too. I do not see it is cruel in any way.

I never said it's cruel, and technically i support fixing pets so we dont have anymore half breeds running around the streets looking for a home lol

I just dislike the rant of "responsible owner's spay their pets" when in fact they don't need to because they are responsible...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
twobarbreak said:
I just dislike the rant of "responsible owner's spay their pets" when in fact they don't need to because they are responsible...

Wow, what a misinformed statement. Anyone who's ever owned a pet (who knows, maybe you haven't) should realize that, just like responsible people who use birth control, "accidents happen". I think this is more of an issue with cats than it is with dogs, who tend to be on a leash when not in an enclosure. Indoor cats are known to sneak out, and many cat owners prefer to allow their pets to have the freedom of wandering outside. This in itself is a strong enough argument for spay and neuter.

Then we get into the health issues of NOT spaying and neutering, as mentioned by someone earlier in this thread - breast and uterine cancer, etc. Oh, and nevermind the behavioral problems that can result from not spaying or neutering. Have you ever lived with a female dog in heat? Or a female cat in heat? Or a male cat that liked to spray its territory indoors?

As someone who used to volunteer in an animal shelter, I saw how many people surrendered animals because of behavioral problems that were completely solveable. Many people surrender their pets because they are mis-informed or uneducated about their pet's behavior and this leads to the euthanization of millions of animals every year. It is fine to say that these people are just not "responsible" owners, but what are we going to do about it? There's no way to expect irresponsible people to NOT have pets. That would be like expecting irresponsible people to not have sex.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I tend to be out of the loop, but I really hadn't heard of her. A quick Google reveals (well, it reveals a lot) that she's an occasional hat wearer, though. lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The "breeding" of different breeds of purebred dogs to create "designer" breeds that has become the fashion of late is a large contributor to the problem of dog overpopulation and euthanasia. The result of crossing a Labrador retriever with a poodle is a mixed breed dog - not a "Labradoodle." And what of those puppies? If they are not spayed or neutered, there will be still another generation of mixed breed animals.
Purebreds get cast off and go to shelters too. But this recent practice is reprehensible, childish and makes things worse.

Well...sex sells...and certainly gets attention. Watching the full commercial on TV....I wondered what the kiddies think of Teacher? Of little matter,though...gotta get that point across! If you don't "listen up" they'll get more extreme....even if it's right in little Mindy's face! Radical?...

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
PETA? People Eating Tasty Animals. No? Ohhhh - the other one!

I'M KIDDING!!! IT'S A JOKE!!! A friend of mine is one of the Lettuce Ladies. DON"T SPAM AND/OR FLAME ME. I'M JOSHING!!!

Honestly though, I'd be hard pressed not to do anything Dita tells me to do when she is dressed like that! Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad - I'm hot for teacher!

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Wow, what a misinformed statement. Anyone who's ever owned a pet (who knows, maybe you haven't) should realize that, just like responsible people who use birth control, "accidents happen".

Ok, i see your view point...I guess we should all be fixed as well? "Just in case of an accident?"

In my 20 plus years in owning,breeding and training dogs some of which have been published in TFH publication books. I personally take responsibility for my property, and i personally would never fix one of my dogs "Just in case a bitch in heat gets out of the kennel and gets knocked up".

KittyT said:
As someone who used to volunteer in an animal shelter, I saw how many people surrendered animals because of behavioral problems that were completely solveable. Many people surrender their pets because they are mis-informed or uneducated about their pet's behavior and this leads to the euthanization of millions of animals every year. It is fine to say that these people are just not "responsible" owners,

states and counties are trying to pass mandatory spaying bills, taking away our rights Just because their are idiots in the world.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
The "breeding" of different breeds of purebred dogs to create "designer" breeds that has become the fashion of late is a large contributor to the problem of dog overpopulation and euthanasia. The result of crossing a Labrador retriever with a poodle is a mixed breed dog - not a "Labradoodle." .

hahahahah Thank you! Or even Better, Puggel!!! Pug and Beagal , beleive it or not, those are the trendy mutts to own in Seattle as it seems...People will actually pay money for that stuff...

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
i totally agree with the topic of the advert, but i do believe that dita is the wrong model to use, as she has an extensive fur collection, and is seen with it in public on regular occasions.

i too wear vintage fur, simply because i do see it as disrespect for the animal that has died not to wear it, and on several occasions i have had to recieve many unwanted attentions due to this, however i also believe there is now other fake furs that are just as beautiful as the real thing for us not to use newly killed fur.

Edward said:
I like leather because it's a by-product of the meat industry. I may eat animals, but I also believe in treating them with respect and not wasting that "resource" - take only what we need as use as much of it as possible. Anyhow, I'm veering :eek:fftopic: now...
i work within the footwear industry, i can assure you that clothing and footwear leather is NOT a by-product, as the leather from a cow for the food indusry tends to be distorted and badly marked so its inferior in quality, most shoes sadly are made out of kid.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
twobarbreak said:
Ok, i see your view point...I guess we should all be fixed as well? "Just in case of an accident?"

In my 20 plus years in owning,breeding and training dogs some of which have been published in TFH publication books. I personally take responsibility for my property, and i personally would never fix one of my dogs "Just in case a bitch in heat gets out of the kennel and gets knocked up".

Well obviously as a breeder, and someone who EARNS MONEY from animals not being fixed, it's in your best interest. I do not feel that it applies to the rest of the general population. How can you even compare the level of responsibility or your ownership of your dogs to that of the general populace?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
twobarbreak said:
states and counties are trying to pass mandatory spaying bills, taking away our rights Just because their are idiots in the world.

Also, what rights are we talking about here? The "right" to contribute to animal overpopulation? The "right" to contribute to the euthanization of millions of animals every year? The "right" to contribute to unwanted animal suffering?

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in mandatory spay/neuter, I just think that presenting this as an issue of "rights" is just plain ridiculous.

Rooster

Practically Family
Domestic animals are property, You have a "right" to care for them as you see fit. No Government agency should be in charge of what you can and can not do with your animals.
Of course, that's just my opinion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24