Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've got nuthin. I would guess she uses some type of pomade or shine serum as well.

She says she does all her own hair styling, as well as coloring at home. I haven't yet decided if I totally believe that. :D

I kind of find it hard to picture her sitting on the bed reading the paper in a dye-splattered ratty chennile bathrobe, and waiting the 25 minutes until she can rinse the stuff off.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Did anyone else notice her "diet" lacks veggies? Aren't veggies supposed to be most of what we eat? She is eating 1 or 2 veggies a day.

That isn't her diet, it was written by the newspaper. They just used her picture to illustrate the title: "The Hourglass Diet."

Lily Powers

Practically Family
On Dita's hair - Maybe she uses good, old-fashioned VO5, but I'm just going to venture out on a limb and suggest her shine and control is mainly a photo retouching in that pic. If you look closely (no, I don't have anything better to do right now), you can see the edges of her waves and the bottom of her curls look to be drawn in to make the overall appearance more smooth and even.

There is an out of print book called "Flesh and Fantasy," by Penny Stallings. It's a fun book, about the behind the scenes tricks of the old Hollywood star machine that allowed the studios to put forth the personna they wanted the public to see in their actors. A fun section discussed the incredible talent of photo retouchers who tweaked negatives with skills that would rival Photoshop.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I find that hard to believe myself.

That reminds me.... I need to find a short sleeve chennile bathrobe... :)

How did you and Lizzie know what i was up to for the last half hour!! (Swap the chenille bathrobe for a ratty towel secured with a safety pin)!! Classy.

I would imagine Dita is pretty proficient at doing her hair and makeup as she has been a professional for years and no doubt has picked up lots of tricks along the way from the stylists and make up artists she has worked with. I know she used to work for Shisheido on the make up counter too. But i would imagine now she is a fully fledged star she doesn't need to bust a gut styling herself, i mean i wouldn't if i had all that dosh at my disposal.

rue

How did you and Lizzie know what i was up to for the last half hour!! (Swap the chenille bathrobe for a ratty towel secured with a safety pin)!! Classy.

I would imagine Dita is pretty proficient at doing her hair and makeup as she has been a professional for years and no doubt has picked up lots of tricks along the way from the stylists and make up artists she has worked with. I know she used to work for Shisheido on the make up counter too. But i would imagine now she is a fully fledged star she doesn't need to bust a gut styling herself, i mean i wouldn't if i had all that dosh at my disposal.

lol I think we all do that :)

I think it's kind of like Martha. They used to do it themselves and now they have enough money to have someone else do it, but they still act like they do it without help [huh]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I didn't know she worked for Shiseido! I did know she worked for MAC, though. MAC is more her style.

It's hard for me, aswell, to picture her dying her own hair, especially with drugstore dye. However, being a make-up artist with a bit of hairdressing knowledge myself, I must say I wouldn't let anyone touch me, even if I did have the dough. I have to cut, dye, and style my own hair and do my own make-up always, because I know best how I want it done. Someone else might mess it up lol

(Is my obsessive compulsion showing?)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I remember hearing that she worked for MAC for a short time. I agree that MAC is more her style.

In several interviews she has said she uses Revlon 10 minute dye.

Classy is using a safety pin - I usually end up with one of my husband's metal Esterbrook clips!

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Ha ha nope!! I'm the same, i always sit their cringing in the hairdressers chair when they attempt to blowdry my hair, in fact latterly i have just given up and do it myself, as i have yet to meet a stylist who gets it right!

I bet Dita is a bit of a tartar in a softly-spoken,polite kind of way when other people are styling her though. As it has been said, she is a professional and has spent years perfecting her look, so she knows what she wants. And i also can't imagine her bending over the sink dying her own barnet either with a home dye kit.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yes, I remember hearing that she worked for MAC for a short time. I agree that MAC is more her style.

In several interviews she has said she uses Revlon 10 minute dye.

Classy is using a safety pin - I usually end up with one of my husband's metal Esterbrook clips!

I have no idea what an Esterbrook clip is but it sounds pretty darn classy!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's hard for me, aswell, to picture her dying her own hair, especially with drugstore dye. However, being a make-up artist with a bit of hairdressing knowledge myself, I must say I wouldn't let anyone touch me, even if I did have the dough. I have to cut, dye, and style my own hair and do my own make-up always, because I know best how I want it done. Someone else might mess it up lol

(Is my obsessive compulsion showing?)

Obsessive compulsion? No, not.. much. lol
And.. same here: I can not, and will not allow anyone near my face. (mostly because I have deep set eyes, and regular makeup ideas DON'T work on me.. no matter how good the person is)

And i also can't imagine her bending over the sink dying her own barnet either with a home dye kit.

I don't think ANYONE can imagine her like that. :)

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Alright ladies, we need to talk about that hair. Why is it so smooth and artfully curled, and why can't I have it?

The nearest thing I can guess is that she has minimal layering, large (at least 2") rollers, and a really great setting lotion.

Ok So I was just studying pictures of her hair. She definitely has layers. When her hair is at shoulder length she seems to have the bottom inch and a half or so layered. Definitely long layers though. You can really see them in this picture. Her haircut itself is also incredibly even and well done which makes such a difference when trying to look this polished. Her hair also seems to be really healthy-so do those deep conditioning treatments and get regular trims.
DitaVonTeese_1642_19600466_0_0_7365_300.jpg

In your picture it almost looks like wave clips at the top front with rollers on the bottom and back, though I'm not sure. It would be my guess that she uses smaller rollers than that rolled off base so she can just brush brush brush to get that smooth look. while having a decent amount of curl still left in there.

Have any of you ladies talking about her shine ever tried a shine spray? Unlike a serum or a pomade it doesn't really weigh the hair down in any way but if you get a good one it can add a lot of shine, which is perfect for super straight hair like mine. I work mainly with Aveda product, and I know they have a great one, but if it's a bit pricey you can find shine on spray with most african american hair care.

I could keep going but I feel like this post is getting a little too long

K.McG

New in Town
I want sparkly shears!!!

One of the first things you learn when working with period costumes and corsetry, is in case someone passes out or can't breathe, don't bother trying to unlace, just cut the laces, because they can easily be replaced, a garment or person on the other hand, not so easy to replace.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I want sparkly shears!!!

One of the first things you learn when working with period costumes and corsetry, is in case someone passes out or can't breathe, don't bother trying to unlace, just cut the laces, because they can easily be replaced, a garment or person on the other hand, not so easy to replace.

A very good rule of thumb! I imagine Dita is well used to her costumes, but I sure wouldn't be. I'd probably pass out in a second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran