Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Sylvanrealm said:
I don't mean so much that she comes off as an idiot. She clearly had business smarts to get her where she is, agreed. She does have a good sense of humor and is well-spoken. And yet.... It was one interview in particular that really got to me. I wish I could find it. I'll post if I do. I really got the impression that to her, appearance is what *life* is *about*. I realize her career revolves around that to a great extent, but...surely there are things more important than that? Maybe she seems too self-absorbed and materialistic. [huh] Maybe I am alone in that opinion.

I've always been kind of indifferent to her; just never got the hype and never paid much attention to her. I watched some interviews on youtube yesterday and she does know what she's talking about, but she manages to make it seem so bland :( A monotone voice and no change in facial expression = Zzzzzzzz. I don't mind a dame obsessed with her looks -- just be ANIMATED and EXCITED about it :D

Dutchess

Familiar Face
Well, I must say I'm glad Dita is around, because for many people in the Netherlands she is the only point of reference when it comes to dressing vintage. So she makes me, in a way, look less odd when walking down the street in my crazy hats. Because of Dita people recognize the style and therefore accept it.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I've always been impressed by how well-spoken Dita is and of course, her outward appearance is wonderfully striking. But she hasn't really evolved over time - she looks the same, she dresses the same - nothing new (blogs and books don't count ;) ). She kind of has the "yawn" factor for me now.

cecil

A-List Customer
Sylvanrealm said:
I don't mean so much that she comes off as an idiot. She clearly had business smarts to get her where she is, agreed. She does have a good sense of humor and is well-spoken. And yet.... It was one interview in particular that really got to me. I wish I could find it. I'll post if I do. I really got the impression that to her, appearance is what *life* is *about*. I realize her career revolves around that to a great extent, but...surely there are things more important than that? Maybe she seems too self-absorbed and materialistic. [huh] Maybe I am alone in that opinion.

I can see what you're saying but it doesn't bother me. Being honest about being totally devoted to excess and things that are pretty for the sake of being pretty is a lot more refreshing than a movie star being equally as materialistic and over the top and then rabbitting on about how down-to-earth they are and detailing their plans to solve world hunger from a $10,000 velvet armchair in a Hollywood mansion...so patronising!

cecil

A-List Customer
Lily Powers said:
I've always been impressed by how well-spoken Dita is and of course, her outward appearance is wonderfully striking. But she hasn't really evolved over time - she looks the same, she dresses the same - nothing new (blogs and books don't count ;) ). She kind of has the "yawn" factor for me now.

She has, really. She used to be more '40s, then more '50s, now she's getting more and more modern and non- decade specific. And that's only over the past few years, she's had all kinds of stupid nutty clothing phases just like everyone else I know. lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
At the Coachella Music Fest....

article-1267089-0930DCD6000005DC-572_306x632.jpg
article-1267089-0930DD12000005DC-28_306x632.jpg

Blondie

Practically Family
Someone correct me if i am wrong but i seem to remember her saying,
she didn't own a pair of jeans and would never be caught dead wearing a pair of pants.....................
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)
She does look fabulous in them,
Love the side button detail !!

Inky

One Too Many
Blondie said:
Someone correct me if i am wrong but i seem to remember her saying,
she didn't own a pair of jeans and would never be caught dead wearing a pair of pants.....................
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)

lol, i do believe you are correct!

also the top was very ill-fitting - and personally i don't care for the large white cuffs, but that's just me. I do like seeing her causal style though.

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
I wonder if the top might actually be a swimsuit, it looks like theres a lot going underneath the pants, and the it does have a swimsuity look.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Inky said:
lol, i do believe you are correct!

also the top was very ill-fitting - and personally i don't care for the large white cuffs, but that's just me. I do like seeing her causal style though.

I think there are too many studs down the side too - they remind me of those awful snap-side tracksuit pants.

I think Dita is incredibly beautiful, but some of the dresses she has been wearing recently have let the side down a bit.

http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/2010/04/05/Dita_001_wenn5454837.jpg this would be so pretty without the panniers!

http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/2010/03/04/97439542(2).jpg and I think she forgot her slip under this one.

I also have a sort of niggling worry that some people might get the impression that you automatically are a burlesque performer if you dress vintage.

December

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
I think there are too many studs down the side too - they remind me of those awful snap-side tracksuit pants.

I hadn't noticed those! And I'd forgotten all about an Adidas pair I had when I was 10 lol

I really liked those jeans until you pointed that out. I don't like the swimsuit-under-trousers look either.

However, I do think that blue and white dress is stunning, even with the panniers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails