Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do any of you guys follow any type of hat etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sorry that my more academic tone offends your sensibilities of what is or is not proper on the internet.

You are simply projecting your gripes about modern society on to me. It is quite clear, whether intentional or not, you simply cannot process my argument. You haven't demonstrated the faintest understanding, even when I tried to illustrate how we actually have common ground.

Apparently you feel my voice is not valid here, but unless informed otherwise by a bartender, I will contribute as I see fit.

A thank you to all who have taken the time to read my posts, even if you disagree. No enmity is intended in my writing, I apologize if it has been misconstrued as such.

Another thank you to those who have offered kind words on my contribution to this thread.

DamianM

Vendor
It does not offend any of my sensibilities about what is proper or not, but you sound like a snob.

Please read George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language"

Banky

One of the Regulars
HundsonHawk and DamianM,

For all your talk of sensibilities and whats rude and not, you've both shown a great deal of rudeness and a near complete lack of tact. Jlee approached the matter in a completely academic and respectful manner, the two of you degraded what could have been a friendly (If heated) discussion concerning something that really doesn't matter at the end of the day and took it to personal insults and in a couple of cases outright attacks. If that's being polite and having "sensibilities" you can keep it.

-30-

A-List Customer
"Grammatical and syntax errors not withstanding, you've completely failed to engage the topic at hand."
QUOTE: jlee562.

Sorry, (Not really, since I don't want to be too polite where some may believe that it to be an anachronism.) but my
play on words/purposeful misuse of words, etc, must have escaped you.

However,

and I will again enquire of you with my below quoted question:
"Just how can, or is it may, one be "more than free"? Is this a Social Science, Politically Correct & Engineered Term
allowing me to be/do what? Should I be feeling "more better" than before being only "free". Please explain."

As you and I (There I go again, being gracious in the old fashioned sense of writing "you and I" rather than the more
than often than not and present vernacular of "me and you".) both are aware from where we stand, the thought of
"play" may add some spice; I gather not. Please then, do explain your term "more than free", or is it a "throw-away"
line for the present generation of low infos.

" I can honestly say I have never been more glad to not adhere to so called "golden era" precepts of manners and courtesy."
QUOTE: jlee562.
I understand that you are "more glad to not adhere to so called "golden era" precepts of manners and courtesy." assisting in the
demolition of the wall of same. Case proven. Next.

BTW, your above quote does not pass the "Correct use of the language test", but having taken note, I believe it matters nought to you.

Regards,
J T

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
You may continue to "play" by yourself, good sir. I have no need to engage in such an exchange with someone who is not willing to participate in a manner which reflects intellectual honesty. As you continue to mischaracterize my argument, I see no need to continue. It is more than obvious that you are not interested in rational discussion.

-30-

A-List Customer
"I'm not sorry that my more academic tone offends your sensibilities of what is or is not proper on the internet."
QUOTE: jlee652 - Post No 161.
"No enmity is intended in my writing, I apologize if it has been misconstrued as such. "
QUOTE" jlee652. - Post No 161.
The above as noted are from Post No 161. Are not you "speaking" out of both sides of your mouth at the same time?

" I have no need to engage in such an exchange with someone who is not willing to participate in a manner which reflects intellectual honesty."
QUOTE: jlee652.
You may not "need to engage" but after you having written the term "more than free" and my questioning of you regarding the use of that phrase,
not only was I not answered but was taken to task as it were in that I wanted no "rational discussion". That sir, to use your own, is (lack thereof)
"intellectual honesty" on your part, not mine.

Regards,
J T

DamianM

Vendor
You may continue to "play" by yourself, good sir. I have no need to engage in such an exchange with someone who is not willing to participate in a manner which reflects intellectual honesty. As you continue to mischaracterize my argument, I see no need to continue. It is more than obvious that you are not interested in rational discussion.

Rational discussion?

It was not rational, it was a display of being a mere snob.

Intellectual honesty means only to you that you are seen as correct and not proven otherwise. Any other example that is waved at your face is dropped down by using long and useless sentences to misguide the reader into believing you know what you are talking about.
But you fail to see how your argument does not contribute to the topic of proper hat etiquette but proves that you yearn for an excuse to absolve society from its constant degradation.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The OP asked what hat etiquette we - as individuals - practice. I submitted my answer and an explaination why. To say that my explanation is not germane to the discussion is just silly.

As far as intellectual honesty goes, it is claimed I do not practice it because I ignored a question (which did not at all pertain to hat etiquette). If that is the standard, I was not the first offender. I have repeatedly asked questions to those who disagree with me. Including several to you, Damien. Such as, if no offense is taken, how can it be offensive?

I have tried to point out where you and I have common ground, you intuitively understand theory that I have studied. You may not recognize it as social science theory per se, but it was an intelligent observation nonetheless.

The only place I differ with you is that I do not believe that actions have intrinsic meaning. I do not believe that I am causing offense if my female friends are genuinely not offended if I do not doff my hat to greet them.

For this you claim I am throwing society to the wolves.

You misunderstand my argument as advocacy for a society without order. I only argue that new definitions of etiquette exist; likewise that such new definitions do not mean an abandonment of etiquette simply because they do not match the old norms.

Rational discussion?

It was not rational, it was a display of being a mere snob.

Intellectual honesty means only to you that you are seen as correct and not proven otherwise. Any other example that is waved at your face is dropped down by using long and useless sentences to misguide the reader into believing you know what you are talking about.
But you fail to see how your argument does not contribute to the topic of proper hat etiquette but proves that you yearn for an excuse to absolve society from its constant degradation.
That which you describe as "long and useless" I describe as "eloquent". I believe Jared has expressed his opinions on the matter of modern hat etiquette clearly, while you have been dismissive and insulting simply because you disagree with his opinions. I also believe you are merely venting your anger and frustration over what you perceive as societal degradation, but for someone who extolls the virtues of etiquette and manners you've exhibited little of either in this thread so far.

By the way, the topic of this thread is not "proper hat etiquette", but whether or not any of the members here follow any type of hat etiquette. Perhaps it would be more constructive if you were to share your understanding of the rules of hat etiquette with us. I, for one, am certain there are rules I'm unaware of, and I would sincerely appreciate the education.

BJC88

New in Town
Hey guys: Does it really matter that Jlee believes in a different standard than what you guys, and I, believe? Is it so hard to have a debate on the subject that we must drop to such petty devices such as name-calling? Personally, I believe in the need for standards, hat etiquette for example, but I do not feel the need to call Jlee a slob, a snob, or a man who puts ketchup on hot dogs. (I would never do that... I like bratwursts instead. With ketchup.)

I think this discussion is interesting, but the online baiting/trolling that I have noticed just does not remind me of the "Golden Era." I will leave with one thing. "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31 New International Version.

P.S. Beans in chili? I didn't even know that there was a difference of opinion when it come to this. I always had beans in my chili. (Don't stone me!!!)

HundsonHawk and DamianM,

For all your talk of sensibilities and whats rude and not, you've both shown a great deal of rudeness and a near complete lack of tact. Jlee approached the matter in a completely academic and respectful manner, the two of you degraded what could have been a friendly (If heated) discussion concerning something that really doesn't matter at the end of the day and took it to personal insults and in a couple of cases outright attacks. If that's being polite and having "sensibilities" you can keep it.

JLee degraded the discussion. But your opinion is noted.

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
I am probably in the middle ground here. I practice some hat etiquette when my hat is not at risk of getting dirty or stolen. A while back I went to my Sunday school class that was temporarily at our churches school gym and we were being taught on how Jews celebrate pass over so some tables were set up and there was food there. I found a seat and sat down and was thinking about taking my hat off and where it could safely go when the lady next to me tells me I should take off my hat and not be rude. I almost let her have it like some of the posts here about social norms and her sence if etiquette being hers or her parents but the look on my face must have told her that her conduct was far worse than a hat on my head was which I was planning on taking off anyway.

fashion frank

One Too Many
^^A sterling example of what you don't do on the internet. You'll get snubbed.

Its a thread on the internet. The last thing you do is start talking like its an intro to philosophy course.

If you where your hat indoors ( where it is inappropriate) you don't practice hat etiquette, period. Regardless of the new social un-rules. That's what this thread is about. Not about society degrading and losing respect towards others and itself.

WOW ,that's right on point I.M.H.O. !

The quote " If you wear your hat indoors ( where it is inappropriate ) you don't practice hat etiquette ,period. Regardless of the new social un-rule's . "

I think what we are also talking about here is the decline of manners in general which is what really sparked this "gentleman's discussion " on hat wearing.

Wearing your hat indoors ( not at your own home) is akin to people who wear suits on T.V.,yet they have no tie on so as to look informal while doing a News broadcast.

What's the point of wearing a suit if your not going to wear a " full " suit ,
ie : tie ,especially if your on national T.V.

There is this whole slow, steady downward slide of manners ,decorum ,etiquette and common sense in this Country today.
When we go abroad as tourist ,we scratch our heads and wonder why other people call us "rude Americans " while there.

I was on vacation in Florida at an attraction and could not get over how rude people were in general ,whither it was stepping right in front of me as if I wasn't there with no " excuse me " or " sorry "and trying to cut in front of me at a food line and it goes on and on and that's the real problem that we are discussing here, we have no "class"as a Nation anymore.

I try to always look "good " when I step out of my front door , I like it when I see a woman who is dressed nicely ,hair done up, make up on just right , you know like " a classy dame " !

The problem with that is that I rarely see one these days ,because we have relaxed the "norms" to the point where it is acceptable to go out of the house looking like a raga muffin in sweats and a ponytail because " hey that's the standard now a days" ,NUT'S is what I say to that .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart