Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do hats get women?

Bingles

A-List Customer
I get hit on by women because of my hats all the time. They come up to me in stores and start talking about my hat and flirting with me. No lie.

Ironically enough though... it's not women I'm after. [huh]

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
I sure hope they don't. Sometimes I think I already have one too many right now! I have found that women sure cut down on your hat acquisition funds... well all your funds come to think of it.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Bingles said:
I get hit on by women because of my hats all the time. They come up to me in stores and start talking about my hat and flirting with me. No lie.

Ironically enough though... it's not women I'm after. [huh]

Shoe shoppers..... :rolleyes:

shakeshead

lol

I'd advise against paying much mind to that "confidence" talk, 'dog. Confidence, schmonfidence, I say. Me, I'm as timid as grown men get. A real milquetoast, you know. Afraid of my own shadow, etc.

Add to that alleged deficit in the babe-catching department the fact that I don't bathe but once or twice a month. And my teeth are rotten.

Still, I got a regular harem. It's the hat, I'm tellin' ya.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
What a great question by the OP!

While I get compliments on my hats, and more from women than men, (except in this forum and AAAC, of course) I personally don't think I've gotten any of "those looks" or approaches from the ladies with the hat. Then again, I'm married, so it's not like I'm exactly looking. :)

Geesie

Practically Family
I rocked a bow tie and straw trilby in high school and I snagged girls.
Not saying that there's a correlation, but clearly they didn't drive girls away.
Well, not all of them.
Which is the important part.
I wouldn't want a woman who kept me from wearing a bow tie.

frussell

One Too Many
Yes

A hat will get you women. If you have hundred dollar bills stuck all the way around the ribbon. Unfortunately, those are rarely the type of women I want to attract. I'd be really sketchy about any women that were attracted to me because of what I had on my head, what kind of clothes I wore, or what kind of shoes I had on. Then again, I am devastatingly handsome, so it's a moot point. Plus my wife wouldn't let me buy any more hats if they had that kind of effect. And to Bingles - good stuff, nicely handled, classy reply. Frank

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Short answer, no.

They could however be instrumental in meeting them.

I agree with Bingles that wearing a hat does tend to attract positive comments from women and what better icebreaker than being given a compliment?

I had a friend once who would leave a tea-bag label hanging from his coat pocket when out to meet the ladies. His theory was that initiating the conversation was the hardest part and if he could prompt someone to engage him first it was the perfect icebreaker. And believe it or not it worked for him! It also didn't hurt that he was a good looking bloke with a cheeky grin and no shortage of self confidence!

But my point is that a classy hat that suits you, compliments your "look" and doesn't look like a costume could be a great way to start a conversation. Takinging somewhere from there is up to you, the hat can only do so much.

Just a thought [huh]

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
As an old married man I'm supposed to say other women are of no interest!

However I find it interesting that the women I get along with are often the ones that seem most delighted to find I'm a hat wearer. I think its not only that it attracts women but it attracts the right sort! They are generally interesting and intelligent women who have a sense of humour and are a hell of a lot of fun.

I think it also goes to those qualities in a guy of individuality, confidence and (lets be honest) style. I have it on good authority that these are attractive qualities!

Its also a great conversation starter... again not that I'm interested!

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
hatted said:
After a certain age, baseball hats just don't cut it (unless you're at a baseball game, I suppose).

I have given up on baseball style caps except for my BMW cap. That is more for when I am cutting grass, working on the car or slumming.

flodog

New in Town
Cool maybe I can use it as an icebreaker or convo starter. Any particular brand you guys would reccomend? Anyone have any interesting factoids I can use to impress her about fedoras? Hopefully this works cause I have never known the love of a woman before.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
flodog said:
have some scratch to spend

That gets ladies better than any hat.

a few guys not having any trouble - despite their other less than redeeming qualities:

get_money-702234.jpg

scrooge_mcduck_raining_gold_lg.jpg

donald-trump.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Methinks the kind of confidence that attracts down-to-earth, quality females is not the kind that centers on the hat, but the type that radiates from the heart and the gut - the feeling of being stalwart and sure and a little opaque and aloof, even in intimate moments.

I'm just saying, you understand. I don't have it. I don't even want it, particularly. Those down-to-earth gals ask an awful lot of a guy.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From personal experience anything that gives a woman an excuse to approach you rather then you approaching them is a good thing. Be it a fedora, Hawaiian shirt, or a kilt. That is the first battle done, they break the ice for you. In fact it was a 1950's style Bowling shirt that got my wife talking to me. :)

What kind of Fedora? I always used my grey Robert Hall stingy brim. Very Blues Brothers in style. Not overly big or intrucive. Two advantages, one they were cheep (about $65) and two the were readily available locally. So if a woman walked away with it I could buy another easily. That said I never did lost it.

The big thing to remember is not be to obsessive. If a woman is interested in you she will want to touch it or even wear your hat. I usually let them (if I was interested in her) with the condition she was responsible for it and I will be looking to get it back form her. Nine times out of ten they spent the night sitting on my lap or at least not to far from sight.

Remember to be playful. Don't be offended by them saying Indiana Jones, Dick Tracy, Capone, Gangster, Crocodile Dundee, Howdy cowboy..... anything goes. Nine times out of ten it is meant playfully. If you start going into the "wrong style of hat buddy" talk you end up looking like the jerk. Have a few quick responses in you mind. "Indiana Jones" you say "fortune and glory". "Crocodile Dundee" you say "G-day Mate" or "That's not a knife. "Howdy cowboy" you give her your best "yee ha" This will make you look like a care free easy going guy (chicks dig easy going guys. Or at least they don't like being corrected about things they care nothing about)

My two cents worth. Hope that helps.

Johnny

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Women and Hats

My wife ... says she hates my hats!!! But with that said she doesn't like everyone looking at us when we walk into a restaurant!! She is the type that likes to blend into the crowd ... I am not ... that's why we work so well together [huh] !!! However when my new Monti straw came she said to me ... "that hat would look less goofy with a brown ribbon on it" which means that she likes!!! ;) I wear a fedora everyday to work (business casual dress ... no ties) and I am 34 .... yea it gets you a lot of attention and no one ever forgets you. The thing I have noticed is that if you have the confidence to wear something different then that might help "get" the conversation going like others have said. I will say this though ... but don't wear one just because ... most of us know a significant amount about hats and have at least a firm appreciation for them ... what I have noticed when people start a conversation (mostly women) about the hat they really like the "back story" of the hats and that you have invested yourself in them ... so embrace your obsession!!!

FYI ... I don't where a fedora with a T-shirt ... its a little to dressy!!! Opinions???

Just my 2 cents ... but I have been married most of my life so take it with a grain of salt!!!!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I dunno if a hat will get you women, but I think that women "get" hats. That seems to be obvious by the number of men here who have posted about being complimented about their hats by women.

I'm often complimented in front of my wife. She gives me a hard time about being "flirted with", but I think she really gets a kick out of it. :D

As others have noted, a hat can be a handy ice-breaker. It also saves some time--better to find out when you first meet someone that they don't like hats then later, after you've been dating a while and they start trying to pressure you into not wearing a hat when you're going out!lol

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR