Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do hats get women?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hepville said:
Don´t you think it´s more because you feel good and confident with the hat and clothes you are wearing and you have a better charisma as in stuff you like less?

No, I'm pretty sure it's the hat.

And when women look, they're just appraising the hat-clothes-person combo. Men look too for the same reason. "Does that work? Why, why not? Should I get one?"

flodog said:
owww owww owww owwwww this is good stuff except for the whole fart part haha...I'm gonna go hat shopping after work today and hopefully I will find something that suits me. Then I can wear it out this weekend and see what kind of reaction I get from the ladies! And forum ladies thanks for weighing in on this post your input is most appreciated!!!

Better stop by the drug store first, 'dog.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
danofarlington said:
No, I'm pretty sure it's the hat.

And when women look, they're just appraising the hat-clothes-person combo. Men look too for the same reason. "Does that work? Why, why not? Should I get one?"

... so maybe I give it a try if/ when I get tired on my Cap/ Pomp- clothes combo... but I have to ask my wife ;)

... and a Cap goes good too in this fart-thing...

metropd

One Too Many
I think the most important thing is confidence. Also it helps(if it is a genuine girl) that she can tell your style, attitude, and your energy is authentic. I once had trouble and I thought it was my clothes but it was that I had not grown into my own skin.

Now that I have, I feel that any genuine expression, whether it be manifested emotionally or through an external means(hat, suit, scarf) is a positive and productive trait that can be used to your advantage and (if wanted) the advantage of others.

If she is really drunk and attractive and she just wants to hook up, a hat does work very well, although I try to fend off these girls, as sloppiness is very
un-sexy to me.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
metropd said:
I think the most important thing is confidence. Also it helps(if it is a genuine girl) that she can tell your style, attitude, and your energy is authentic. I once had trouble and I thought it was my clothes but it was that I had not grown into my own skin.

YES - it's not the hat, it's the chutzpah! lol

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
Yup - a hat will catch my eye, but it's the man in the hat that'll make me stay. I fancy my husband rotten whether he is hatted or hatless.

Also apologies for weighing in on the bloke talk, but frankly, why ask men what gets women? A lot of men still seem to think all women are impressed by the car they drive...

Dang, I love the way the Mother Tounge gets spoken over there.

My bride "fancies me rotten" after more than a quarter century and three grown kids ... don't need to mention how many grandkids ... and still likes to see me in a hat ... or out, for that matter ...

Tell your bloke he's a lucky man, ma'am

Blessings,
Sam

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
To answer the original question...

Obviously!
28724_566789337673_21200937_32791708_6772133_n.jpg

Well, just kidding, but yeah.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Maybe it should be the reverse, Do women get (men in) hats?

As a conversation starter its very good for that. There's a certain charm about a well dressed man wearing a terrific hat. Of course it takes a lot of panache and healthy self- confidence to wear a hat, especially a fedora. It should never come off as costume-y in any way. Married myself, still I will always try to acknowledge a man wearing a nice hat, be it nodding appreciatively or saying something along the lines of "that's a great hat", etc. Just to let him know his extra effort was noticed.

Being hooked into vintage clothing and vintage dancing groups- there are always plenty of gents wearing terrific hats!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
Maybe it should be the reverse, Do women get (men in) hats?

As a conversation starter its very good for that. There's a certain charm about a well dressed man wearing a terrific hat. Of course it takes a lot of panache and healthy self- confidence to wear a hat, especially a fedora. It should never come off as costume-y in any way. Long time married myself, I will always acknowledge a man wearing a nice hat, be it nodding appreciatively or saying something along the lines of "that's a great hat", etc. Just to let him know his extra effort was noticed.

Beautifully said.:eusa_clap

danofarlington

chanteuseCarey said:
Of course it takes a lot of panache and healthy self- confidence to wear a hat, especially a fedora. It should never come off as costume-y in any way. Married myself, still I will always try to acknowledge a man wearing a nice hat, be it nodding appreciatively or saying something along the lines of "that's a great hat", etc. Just to let him know his extra effort was noticed.
That's why it's fun as far as I'm concerned, it's a challenge. And yes, it should not look costumey. I'm married too, and so when I get looks or if I were to hear "great hat," I can take it as face value without being anything else, which is all I'm after--to pull off a style that I think works. Now if only women would start wearing hats, whether old or new, also in as non-costumey a way as possible, then we'd both have something going. That would create more space for others to wear different things. Why do that? Because it's fun. It's a departure from the received uniforms of the day, and it's your own style, not what your peers dictate.

jkingrph

Practically Family
KevKaos59 said:
I was worried about what people might say or think when I started wearing fedoras, but I'm older so I don't care as much. I get alot of appreciative looks and comments. I don't wear suits to work, but I do wear dockers, dress shirt and a tie almost every day. I wear my nicer hats when dressed like that, and when I am in jeans and a polo shirt, I wear one of my "beater" hats. Still fedora's, but not in as good overall shape. I have yet to hear a negative remark. Maybe some good natured ribbing from people who know me. I tend to think that younger guys probably have it a bit harder pulling of this look than us older guys.

Love tonyb's avatar hat. Not a beater, but I could see myself wearing that ALOT.

I work in a hospital pharmacy so just do not wear suits, Have a few that have not been worn in several years. Usually dress slacks, shirt and tie, sport coat or heavier depending on time of year, no coat during hot Texas summer season.

At a soon to be 65, I used to worry about what folks thought, but now that's their problem. I have gotten more positive comments, virtually no ribbing.

Like you I like tomyb's avatar hat and have been thinking about one along those lines, my better ones being a couple of Art's creation in grey, plus an Adventurebilt in brown. The one hat that gets the most use is an Arkuba Banjo Patterson in fawn, I really like hats in the grey-tan, softer lighter browns, and that general size.

danofarlington

jkingrph said:
I work in a hospital pharmacy so just do not wear suits, Have a few that have not been worn in several years. Usually dress slacks, shirt and tie, sport coat or heavier depending on time of year, no coat during hot Texas summer season.
Then you are a pioneer. Part of the interest of the thing is finding what works through trial and error. Given the multitude of hats out there, some of them are sure to work well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR