Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Do the tighten up" (how to shrink leather jackets to fit better?)

Manino

New in Town
OK. so I do understand those that worry, I understand selling as an option and understand the risks involved in washing/drying.
However, I have seen the same 660 jacket new with tags going for a fraction of what I paid, mine being used as per ebay policy,
will make me lose more than I am willing to accept. This is a brand new jacket, only tried it on and never actually used it to go anywhere.
As per the risks of the washing machine/dryer, if it is good leather what could happen? I rode in the rain and the leather jacket or boots did fine afterwards. Boots just need newspaper into them, works a charm.
I would think the dryer should be used with care, checked every 5 minutes or so, Houston heat in July is like a dryer, and jackets do fine.
Not to start an argument here but it puzzles me that some people would worry about machine washing a leather jacket but then ride a motorcycle without a helmet. What can go wrong with a jacket? What can go wrong with a crash?

Update: Washed an old model F Vanson I got recently off ebay. Gentle wash with just a little mild soap, then let it dry overnight in the Houston heat.
Next day, put it inside and let the AC do the last but of drying. Got a Pecard leather conditioner and rubbed the jacket with it, used most of the 6oz I had.
It is better than new now. No size change but got rid of smell, the sweat of the previous owners, it is broken in but smells like new.

Cheers, will post when I do the 660, she will go into the dryer, that is for sure, need to find a quiet day at home to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points