Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Dress For Dinner?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps it's more common in England, but growing up we always sat around the dinner table, in the dining room, every evening. Never, ever in front of the TV. Though it was the reverse of dressing for dinner - my mum would change into old jeans and top to do the dinner, to avoid better stuff smelling or getting splashed with oil.

Marla

A-List Customer
When I was talking to my uncle (her son) about my grandmother (long gone now) he told me that in the late 40s, early 50s she usually changed for dinner, which they would all have together around the dinner table. She was a pretty fashionable lady though, and their family employed a house-keeper and even a cook on-and-off, so I'm sure she had the time. I'll post photos of her soon in the real women thread!

miss_elise

Practically Family
we had a dinner table in the kitchen/family room for everyday dinners and a Dining room, with the good table for special occasions, birthdays, christmas, sunday dinners - usually requiring a better dress code.

If i'm having people over, or going out somewhere I will dress up, but usually what I wear everyday is more dressy than most so I don't specifically dress for dinner in my own home. Or change from day dresses to afternoon dresses to evening

GrrlFriday

New in Town
Question about terms

I thought an "afternoon dress" was the Golden Era equivalent of a cocktail dress and a "tea dress" was what would actually be worn in the early afternoon. Or am I mistaken? Is the tea dress a Victorian/Edwardian thing?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, I *totally* differentiate a housedress from a day dress from an after five/cocktail dress, and a formal gown.

For me, I like the distinction. If Im going out with friends, and its a sit down place where they bring you food, and a place where cocktails are served, then Ill wear an after 5 number. Generally a bit muted, or a solid color. 3/4 sleeve length generally, often collarless, with the skirt a bit longer than my day dress.

My day dresses are generally cotton, have a collar and fit much of the guidelines LizzieMaine noted. I tend to do more darker colors, earth tones. Patch pockets I consider day dress wear, and yes, I know there are exceptions to *every* rule, but for me, this is what I go by.

Formal sort of blends after 5 to me. Though I do have some more 'casual' after 5 numbers that I wouldnt wear to a formal anything! Formal I consider floor length, or near that, and I only have two dresses that are that long cause I rarely go to anything 'formal'.

I think it also depends on the era you are dressing in. If Im doing 40s after 5, I might wear a floor length heavily gored skirt. But I wouldnt do a gored skirt for a 30s look.

Getting back to house dresses, I really dont want to waste the fabric on them. I tend to tramp around the house in flannel pant bottoms I make and a nice white cotton t. Thats my general at home and walk the dog wear, but I change into corduroy pants and a nice 40s blouse if I go out anywhere at all.

Day dresses I would wear to work, not after 5 dresses.

*whew* Ive yammered.

LD

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dresses for breakfasts, and dinners, and balls;
Dresses to sit in, and stand in, and walk in;
Dresses to dance in, and flirt in, and talk in;
Dresses in which to do nothing at all;
Dresses for Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall.

~William Allen Butler, "Nothing to Wear"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925