Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

<<< Do you ever ignore measurements? >>>

Did you ignore measurements and buy anyway?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Brandrea33

One Too Many
As the title states … have you ever bought a jacket because you just love the look of it even though the measurements don’t look like they’ll work?

I can admit to doing this several times in my relatively short time here …

For example: The Flat Head Single Riders (fantastic leather, loved the overall look in pictures … but I bought it anyway, knowing full well that the shoulders were too wide, and the body was too long. Still had to try it:rolleyes:

Who else is in the same boat?
831892E7-F54C-4DB0-BFD9-E2F7FEE177DD.jpeg

AHP91

Practically Family
Personally I find sticking to firm measurements is overrated. Jackets fit differently. I have an acceptable range I can go for. However I’ve learned I cannot wear anything too small as that’s just too uncomfortable.

I don’t mind having some jackets fit a little bigger, some a little shorter sleeves, some that have wider shoulders, etc.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I've bought jackets that are good on most, with one or two outlier measurements I didn't like but they've worked out, some jackets I've just got my own measurements completely wrong, some jackets one measurement seemed off or close, and they come and it's a completely bricked fit. Can't win them all but I sometimes take the gamble if it's close enough.

Edward

Bartender
For me, I would never buy anything that I know will not fit me. While I do have quite the collection of leather jackets by now, I am not a collector. I buy stuff that I want to wear. Regarding size and measurements I have a range that I know will work by now.

I'm in the same boat. Particularly, as a recovering hoarder, it's really important I stick to some rules or things would get unmanageable again. One of them is I only buy stuff I'll wear - if it wouldn't fit, or I'd be too worried about it being super-rare / fragile to actually wear it, it's not something I'll consider.

Not that that means I don't sometimes end up with something that doesn't fit - I've learned to be very, very careful with ebay because of the sheer number of eedjits on there who can't comprehend the basic difference between labelled garment size, and the actual size of the jacket itself. Bought a beautiful blazer once all labelled and sold as a 46, only to discover when it arrived that it actually measured 46" around the chest, and was therefore no human use to anyone who actually needed a size 46. I dread to think what these people dress themselves like if that can't comprehend such basic notions...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I’ve learn to ignore posted measurements now. This doesn’t usually work out. But going with measurement also didn’t.
Jackets have gotten more expensive over the past few years. Be smart with your cash. There’s always the option of walking away.

jeo

One Too Many
Yes. I’ll definitely buy a jacket that doesn’t fit if it’s rare and/or cheap enough.

I’ve also learned through the years which measurements are important for me to nail down and which aren’t as important. For me the chest is least important and has the most variability. I have a 34” chest and can wear jackets with a pit to pit from 18” to 21”. I only have about an inch and a half of variability with shoulders and about an inch with lengths. So I’ll definitely ignore chest measurements if the shoulders and sleeve/body lengths work.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For me, I would never buy anything that I know will not fit me. While I do have quite the collection of leather jackets by now, I am not a collector. I buy stuff that I want to wear. Regarding size and measurements I have a range that I know will work by now.
+1

I disregard measurements all the time - Just a few days ago, in fact, and am waiting to see the result - & so far, more often than not, it has worked. Same as buying something with seemingly perfect measurements often ended up being a disaster.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
not on leather jacket but several times on denim, or other pants, I usually underestimate the length or material shrinkage post washing, so several times I have to unstitch the hem and add a strip of fabric to squish just everybit of extra leg from it, sometime I even buy size 27 pants knowing it is a size too small for my tight fit, but I still believe it may work, then I have to stretch it wear it wet and stuff the pocket and then sitting on towel with wet pants until it dries on me just to make it works, it works in the end.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner