Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you ever wear a hat around the house?

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, I'm getting about the responses I expected (Thanks!), and thinking about it, much of my desire to wear them inside has been due to the fact that I too need to "train" them to my head. And I've gotten a good number of new (to me) hats recently, so have been wearing them more often inside (mostly just new to me hats). I do habitually take a hat off when arriving home, and certainly when entering another's dwelling.

El Sid

New in Town
I wear fedoras in my own house all the all the time, sometimes to break in a new hat, sometimes because I love a new hat so much I can't bear to take it off, but most of the time it's because I just feel good with a fedora on. My two-year-old daughter also likes to put on my fedoras and stagger around the house bumping into furniture and tripping over the dog. At those times she looks like daddy in his hat after too much bourbon.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Neat thread idea! I wear a hat whenever I am in a public space, and remove it in a private space or when wearing a hat would be impractical or rude (like in a movie or interview). So I do keep my hat on inside in hallways, lobbies, and stairs/elevators. Sometimes it's not clear if a space is public or private ( example being office cubicles), so I'll remove the hat if in doubt. This is all my best interpretation of vintage hat etiquette, and part of the fun of wearing a lid!

I will wear one around my home if I'm breaking it in, or if my hands are too full, too messy, or otherwise occupied such that I can't carry my hat indoors. But the headwear comes off at the first reasonable opportunity.

-Steven

Edward

Bartender
Typically, no. Occasionally in the Winter I'll wear maybe a smoking cap round the house, or one of my berets. Spent a lot of last Winter wearing an old, black German military beret with a Soviet star on it, something I bought years ago for a party I went to as Che Guevara. Pretty good at keeping the head warm when it's just me and the cats about.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
I'm wearing a Stetson felt right now. And, looking around, yes, I'm at home!
And, looking outside, no, it's not like it would be summer: maybe next week; in that case, I'll switch to a panama.
And, for your guidance, my winter heating bill went down by 15% (well, the consumption did, not the bill).
Gotta capitalize on my hats!

suitedcboy

One Too Many
New ones need noggin time for training, especially those that need to get better at being a Long Oval.
I wear them out to the barn to get a good head heat in them then wear them around inside, especially for PC time hanging in the Lounge.

+1 EXACTLY.
I know some people passing my place must have to wonder why someone would be wearing a clean pristine felt hat while shoeing a horse.
A good sweat makes most any brand of hat become "Self-Conforming".

As to some other places mentioned where hats are removed: I go to a local Cowboy Church and hats are worn in the sanctuary except during prayer.

Edward

Bartender
As to some other places mentioned where hats are removed: I go to a local Cowboy Church and hats are worn in the sanctuary except during prayer.

Interesting! I've never heard of that being done elsewhere in a Christian church (saving hats that are part of a specific uniform, though those are normally removed as well, I believe). Any idea how that tradition started?

HatsEnough

Banned
I guess I do have to alter my "not in the house" claim. Like others, I do wear them, of course, when I am cleaning, steaming, re-creasing, and training them. I do not wear a hat in the house as a matter of course, though.

HatsEnough

Banned

I would think this would be of necessity. Where would all those hats go if the owners weren't holding onto them? It would seem to me that it would present a logistical problem if they tried to stash them somewhere before going into the sanctuary. Keeping them on would be a natural solution to the question of what the heck to do with them otherwise.

T Rick

Practically Family
Interesting! I've never heard of that being done elsewhere in a Christian church (saving hats that are part of a specific uniform, though those are normally removed as well, I believe). Any idea how that tradition started?
Well, he is in Texas... ;)

Edward

Bartender
I would think this would be of necessity. Where would all those hats go if the owners weren't holding onto them? It would seem to me that it would present a logistical problem if they tried to stash them somewhere before going into the sanctuary. Keeping them on would be a natural solution to the question of what the heck to do with them otherwise.

True to an extent, but then surely this would have been a problem in every church at one time?

Have we any Lounge members that are Hassidic? That might answer it: AFAIK, they remove the fedoras and only wear the skullcaps inside the synagogue, so presumably they have solved the 'problem'.

Well, he is in Texas... ;)

lol

HatsEnough

Banned
Have we any Lounge members that are Hassidic? That might answer it: AFAIK, they remove the fedoras and only wear the skullcaps inside the synagogue, so presumably they have solved the 'problem'.

I'd submit that they are a bit older culture, a bit stricter on rules, and not prone to change compared to cowboy-attended Christian churches in Texas.

Duper

Practically Family
It has been known to happen, but not frequently, and not while others are around. Do I have to sign up for some 12 step process now?

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I'm not hassidic, but more modern orthodox, and I usually place my hat on top of the coat rack when entering the shul (synagogue). It's in a coat room with bunches of hangers on hanger rods, and the hat rack is on top-- you can also place your tallit (prayer shaw) and what not up there after services and before Oneg (snacks after services, or a light lunch). Some of the hassidic guys in our shul will often just leave their hats on. Some will take them off and place them beside where they are sitting on a bench. However, for us, it's religious custom/requirement to have our head covered in shul. If one is religious, like myself, one would wear a kippah (in Hebrew)/yamaka (Yiddish) /ritual skull cap (anthropologically?) all the time. It's my understanding that it's considered polite/pious to remove ones hat in church. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. So with all these guys covering their head in shul, it's no big deal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80