Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you ever wear a hat around the house?

T Rick

Practically Family
Like it says, and just because. Now I know some consider it bad manners, but I am mostly talking of when I am home alone and hanging out. Get the urge to wear one of my growing collection of hats, and no intent or desire to really get out and about (or can't for various reasons).

So, if you're there alone (or not, if it's not an issue of manners), do you ever wear your hats while at home, just because?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I actually just wear a hat indoors to break it into my size, unless the sun is particularly shining with a glare where I could use the hat to block it. I've done the latter several times.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Do you ever wear a hat around the house ?

I don't but sometimes my friends do......

600full-the-unbearable-lightness-of-being-screenshot_large.jpg

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
All of my life. Heck, wearing a hat indoors is nothing, It's my house and I do it, anytime, I want, and always have, however, I often don't. But I have always worn a ball cap indoors, and do at work every day, in my office, as do most other people that wear a cap. If we wear a cap or hat, we wear it, all of the time, mostly.

I take my hat off at church, when going to someone's house for dinner, and when sitting in a tall backed chair, because the brim will get smashed when I lean back. And I take it off, when eating out in a really nice place, espacally if eating with others. But generally the best and safetest place for a hat is on your head, when out and about.

Maybe I learned the Cowboy Way.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Yep. All the time. Indoors, when I'm breaking one in. When I step outside to enjoy a scotch & cigar - always. When I'm in my den of sanity reloading or cleaning my weapons, you bet. Of course, I'm always hatted when away from home.;)

I don't buy into the "remove the hat anytime I'm indoors" theory. When it's appropriate to remove it, I do. Just being under a roof doesn't qualify.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Everyday except during meals and when I sleep or if it's just too hot.

I find that I wear my brimmed hats as much as my 8pc or ivy caps. If I'm wearing shorts, the only hats I wear is a lite 8pc newsboy, an ivy, a straw fedora or stingy brim. In other words very informal. Th3e caps are for when it's too windy or it rains.

If I'm wearing an actual fur felt fedora or whippet, I'll always wear pants. Just because even if it's a beater, it still looks just a bit more formal than shorts would allow. This is actually why I love a good straw fedora! They go great with most anything during the Summer and into the Fall!

During the Fall and Winter I have two main lids (Thanks again Buler!) and three different 8pc and Ivy caps that I wear when the weather is either too windy for a fitted lid or it's raining too hard and I don't want to risk soaking my daily wear lids.

barrowjh

One Too Many
If I am going in and out it becomes inconvenient to go over to the hall tree and get a hat each time I leave, so sometimes I just keep it on for a stretch, but not all day. I do wear them to mold a new one to my head, or to refresh that mold after it has been in the box for several months.

fmw

One Too Many
I never wear hats indoors, unless I'm also wearing a coat. In other words, if I'm staying a while, I doff the hat.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
heh. Yes, I do, all the time, in my house. Never at someone else's. I don't particularly care about protocol or tradition, but it just feels weird to be wearing a hat while hanging out indoors at someone else's place or at work, or a restaurant.
When I'm home, it's usually just me and the kids, and I have no reservations about wearing them. The lid comes off before the wife gets home.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hat goes on before I leave the house, comes of usually when I step in the door. Was the way I was brought up, ya don't wear a hat indoors. Old fashioned I guess :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a 'house hat,' an old Dobbs, that I wear just in the house. The family likes the house colder than I do, and that, combined with being follically challenged, makes it pretty much necessary to keep to my head covered. It's also easier to me put stuff on than for the others to take off skin, so I'll wear that hat and a denim shirt if I need to.

Last edited:
New ones need noggin time for training, especially those that need to get better at being a Long Oval.
I wear them out to the barn to get a good head heat in them then wear them around inside, especially for PC time hanging in the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass