Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you have names for meals? like a Nickname for special dishes?

Weenie Wheels. Cut a hotdog about halfway down several times over the length of the hotdog. When you boil it, the cuts will cause it to roll into a circle.

Hey, I was five, and easily impressed. And it's been popular with every niece and nephew I've made them for.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Weenie Wheels. Cut a hotdog about halfway down several times over the length of the hotdog. When you boil it, the cuts will cause it to roll into a circle.

Hey, I was five, and easily impressed. And it's been popular with every niece and nephew I've made them for.

Serve with pork’n beans and you have the ultimate comfort food:rolleyes:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
False Hare for meatloaf.

Roof hare for cat, there’s a reason why hares are still sold with fur and feet on weekly farmer’s markets…:D

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Surely you're aware that if you order a meal by that name in the U.K. what you'll receive will be sausages cooked in Yorkshire Pudding (or a similar type of pastry).

Doggone it, now I'm hungry. :(

No I did not realize that … however it sounds scrumptious!!

Just a little off topic …

Several years ago Calvin Trillin wrote a piece on dining on rat in China. Quite fresh, the rat was. It had been very much alive a matter of minutes before appearing prepared on his plate.

Here's one that is likely only used by one person, me. After once reading that Jerry Garcia's favorite meal was chili dogs and chocolate malts, I now refer to that as a "Full Garcia." Specifically, chili dogs from Skyline, and a chocolate malt from United Dairy Farmers.

Hercule

Practically Family
Here's one that is likely only used by one person, me. After once reading that Jerry Garcia's favorite meal was chili dogs and chocolate malts, I now refer to that as a "Full Garcia." Specifically, chili dogs from Skyline, and a chocolate malt from United Dairy Farmers.

I'll have to try that. Sounds good. We have a Skyline near us. UDF will be the hard part. I don't recall seeing one near our new house. The wife used to love UDF ice creams. Now we have several "boutique" ice creams in town that I think are just meh. (Though there's a pistachio I quite like - and it's NOT green!) Most are just too soft for my liking. If I want soft serve I'll go to DQ.

Your chili dogs remind me of grad school when I and a few friends used to frequent the Prospect Tavern in (west?) Hartford. We'd get hot dogs with absolutely everything on them and call them "death dogs." The drink of choice was some sort of Irish ale the name of which I can't remember.

I'll have to try that. Sounds good. We have a Skyline near us. UDF will be the hard part. I don't recall seeing one near our new house. The wife used to love UDF ice creams. Now we have several "boutique" ice creams in town that I think are just meh. (Though there's a pistachio I quite like - and it's NOT green!) Most are just too soft for my liking. If I want soft serve I'll go to DQ.

Your chili dogs remind me of grad school when I and a few friends used to frequent the Prospect Tavern in (west?) Hartford. We'd get hot dogs with absolutely everything on them and call them "death dogs." The drink of choice was some sort of Irish ale the name of which I can't remember.

Skyline in Cleveland! Will wonders never cease. When I was in college, I went to a new place down on University Circle that advertised they had Cincy-style chili - 3, 4, & 5-ways. I ordered my usual "inverted" 4-way, and the counter guy handed me a to-go box with a regular 4-way in it. When I protested, he turned the to-go box over and said, "Here."

For those of you not in the know, a 3-way is spaghetti, topped with Cincy chili and shredded cheese. A 4-way adds either onions or beans to this, and a 5-way is the whole enchilada. An "inverted" 4-way puts the cheese under the chili and the onions on top, so the cheese melts under the chili.

We're very spoiled in this part of the country with UDFs - I know of nowhere else in the country with a similar business. Until I became an adult and travelled more, I didn't realize how unique it was to have such access to ice cream shops as we do here. Again for the unfamiliar, UDFs are convenience stores like 7-11, but every one of them has a little ice cream shop in it where you can get hand-dipped cones, sundaes, shakes, and malts. Needless to say, Baskin-Robbins and the like never got a foothold around here.

I make what I call...:My World Famous Crab Cakes except I make them out of tinned salmon. My wife asked "how do you know they are world famous". My reply is that they are famous in my little world and that is all that matters. I made them once out of tinned tuna....they were stilllpretty good. Maybe one day I will make them out of crab.

Haversack

One Too Many
Growing up, 'Toad-in-the-Hole' was lamb chops browned in a skillet, then baked with Yorkshire pudding batter poured over them. The batter would puff up and cover the chops keeping them moist while in turn being flavored by the lamb dripping as it rendered. From my Scots grandmother.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I make what I call...:My World Famous Crab Cakes except I make them out of tinned salmon. My wife asked "how do you know they are world famous". My reply is that they are famous in my little world and that is all that matters. I made them once out of tinned tuna....they were stilllpretty good. Maybe one day I will make them out of crab.

don't just stand there grinning. fork over that recipe.

We ate a lot of CCC Nettles named after the Civilian Conservation Corps & the long leafed wild weed complete with needles that grows along fence lines & right of ways. First soaked in salt water to clean then wilted with hot bacon grease for flavor the needles become soft & the combination makes perfect wilted wild greens. Most of the older men who served had learned to make it in the CCC camps.

We also ate what was called Ulcer Gulch gumbo. The pot was added to all winter long. Frog, fish, chicken & quail, root vegetables. Shrimp gumbo would have been a luxury. It was called Ulcer Gulch because where we lived most of the men got ulcers after a few yrs trying to figure out how to pay the little bit of mortgage month to month.

don't just stand there grinning. fork over that recipe.
1 tin salmon
1 potato - cooked & mashed, can be medium or large
2 stalk celery diced
1/4 chopped onion
1-2 carrots shredded
1 small sweet red pepper
If you have one you can even add a small shredded zucchini
Sweat the veggies (except the mashed potato) in a fry pan for a few minutes, season with garlic salt and either tarragon or oregano
It works best if you cook the veggies & potatoes earlier so they are cool when you mix them all together but in a pinch it don't matter all that much.
Mix salmon, mash potatoes, veggies together in a large bowl and add a lightly beaten egg as binder, I sprinkle with a bit of lemon juice and a pinch of salt & pepper.
Now you have a choice of making patties and frying for 10-12 minutes, lightly browning them. Other than the egg everything is already cooked. I use an ice cream scoop to make the patties and then flatten them with a fork in the fry pan. Or you can bake them in muffin cups/muffin tins for about 20 minutes in a 350 oven. They are a complete meal with the veggies, fish and potato all wrapped up in one. Like I said for these crab cakes you can use salmon, tuna or heck even crab meat. If I am feeling fancy I will add a few chopped prawns as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk